Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That gets into possible Book Spoiler territory. So:

Rickon has sort of fallen off the map in the show, but in the books he is separated from Bran soon after the escape from the ruined Winterfell. Bran goes with the Meera and Jojen Reed and Hodor on their trek north of The Wall, but the wilding woman, Osha takes Rickon to somewhere that remains a mystery until we are told--as part of a complex intrigue plot that has been entirely cut out of the show so far--that she took him to an Island off the northeast coast of Westeros called Skagos. Davos is sent as part of this complex plot to retrieve him. This business with Davos happens in the most recent novel, and we don't know how true the rumor about Rickon is, what will happen to Davos if he tries to find Rickon on Skagos and bring him back (it's one of those "dread" places at the edge of the familiar world), or how all of this relates to what we now know from the show is the utter failure of Stannis' bid for the throne.

L.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Sorry to single you out because you're not the first person to do this but, come on guys, don't you think perving out over a naked woman when she's being a humiliated and shamed is a little creepy?

3. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Suppose Sansa survives their "leap of faith" intact and Theon breaks his leg(s). Does she help him or leave him behind?

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Ogling naked wimin is a time honored forum tradition along with Beatle worship, yelling at kids to get off the lawn and argung about the superiority of analog or digital.

GentleSenator and brew ziggins like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

A resurrected Jon Snow might have more of an affinity for the Wildlings than for his own kind

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Jon Snow is analogue. Tywin Lannister is digital.

Raylinds likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Tyrion is John, Vyrus is Paul, Jorah is George, & Grey Worm is Ringo!

Raylinds likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"Vyrus" sounds like a good name for a glam metal band.

Raylinds likes this.
  9. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

They're both analog. Drogon is digital.

marblesmike likes this.
  10. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Nope. For that is another thread, which does allow book spoilers. :)

11. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

agentalbert likes this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The point of the scene was not to titilate. It was not supposed to be about how good the Queen Mother looks naked. It was about her shame. But I think the show undercuts that a bit by using a 27 year old double with a perfect body.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the story behind the double - Rebecca Van Cleave

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/meet-cerseis-body-double-172112618.html

14. And they're both dead. Now what?

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Tyrion is streaming.

:)

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Perhaps it ought to have been about her same and etc., but the scene was clearly designed for a rather nasty brand of titillation, not just the naked body on display, but the thrill of watching the humiliation of someone the show has gotten the audience to "love to hate." And they really played up the vulgar sexualized violence of the "city folk," who were stand-ins for audience. I can't say I liked it very much in either sense. I have no objection to looking at beautiful naked bodies or with enjoying the representation of a very bad person being torn-down and humiliated, but this felt wooden and awkward and over-sold to me.

L.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't think it played that way at all. The scene flipped the audience's usual lack of sympathy for Cersei on its head -- it was grueling (and disgusting, with everyone waving their genitals at her) and went on forever and didn't feel at all like a fitting punishment for her sexual "crimes," and by the end you were rooting for her and the Mountain to destroy the Sparrows.

And you can't say it wasn't true to GRRM.

Some critics felt there was too much nudity and that it went on and on but I thought it was appropriate that the walk go on interminably, and that her exposure made it so uncomfortable to watch. If they'd shot it decorously it wouldn't have had the same impact.

vince and Rufus McDufus like this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hey here's something I'm wondering.

The guys at the Night's Watch are very much aware that they have to BURN dead bodies or they will come back as reanimated zombie killer things.

After they stabbed Jon Snow they left him to die. It looked like he bled to death lying there, or at least got pretty close to death as the camera panned back. But they didn't get around to burning him yet. They just walked away, went back inside, had a beer, or whatever. I assume that they are intending to burn his body the next morning (or something). Yes? So if he is not actually dead yet and going to get rescued somehow..or if he is dead and is going to get resurrected by magic somehow...it better happen before they turn him to ashes (or before he turns into a zombie), right??????

19. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I reacted that way to the scene in the novel, which did turn the tables that way, but I didn't find the scene in the show affecting that way at all. Not sure why, but like I said it felt wooden and over-sold to me. Did we really need to see those guys waving their genitals at her in what seemed to me a sort of choreographed way, like they were taking turns? In the novel the scene made me feel dread, like the crowd might really get out of control, and it was a nice mirror of the earlier riot scene in Clash of Kings. If anything it was too decorous.

L.

20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I agree. I have no problem with the scene as written. I just wish Lena had done it herself.

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier. For Jon to be resurrected, as many are expecting, the Night's Watch has to forget that they always burn bodies to prevent having them come back.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

she helps him...

rswitzer likes this.
  22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Maybe burning him will resurrect him or have some other surprise effect. Remember the unexpected outcome of Daenerys burning herself on the pyre of Khal Drogo. (Though she wasn't dead to start with.)

23. Michael

onto the next kill...

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This is a problem south of The Wall?

25. Michael

and he says; "Do not present your sword as I will NOT autograph it" ! ain't no peace and love goin' on here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.