Game of Thrones - Season VII - July 16-2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No worries. I thought they hadn't written any of them. I was wrong, too.

Chris from Chicago and vince like this.
  2. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

[​IMG]

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I don't understand what the problem is. The characters have been fully developed and the pawns all put in place. It's time for the endgame. I don't know why people expect character dev when we already understand the characters, the decisions and events that defined them and their relationships.

For example, why are people surprised or upset that Arya is not getting along with Sansa? The two were always at odds; Sansa has been anti-Stark in her decisions and actions since the beginning; whether this is her susceptibility to manipulation or an actual character flaw is open to debate, but the fact remains.

The only real character dev going on right now is the relationship between Jon and Daeny and this is being handled very well. Peter Jackson need not apply as writer or director.

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The set needs to come with an alternate set of blue eyes for Viserion now...

TexasBuck and xdawg like this.
  5. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So I just read an excerpt from a reportedly new interview with GRRM in Rolling Stone. In it he claims that he hasn't watched any of the new season saying he's too busy (doing what pray tell? Certainly not writing!). The bombshell was how he says the show's killing people left and right, that they've killed 20 (?!) characters that he considers to still be very much 'alive' AND that he intends on using the characters in the forthcoming books. Sounds like a lotta hooey and sour grapes to me, and paints a picture of all not being well in GOT land.

tommy-thewho likes this.
  6. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

They will most likely do a blue-eyed Viserian now.

7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

'Game of Thrones' Author Corrects Reports: Yes, He Watches The Show

George R.R. Martin just returned home to New Mexico after traveling for a month to read some unexpected news: That the Game of Thrones author… doesn’t actually watch Game of Thrones.

That’s what several media outlets (such as the New York Post) are reporting Wednesday following a series of interviews the best-selling author recently gave at a fan convention in Russia. One headline literally read: “George R.R. Martin: ‘I don’t watch Game of Thrones.'”

Martin told EW via email he can’t recall saying he doesn’t watch the acclaimed HBO drama series and notes that perhaps something was mangled during translation. During his trip abroad he didn’t watch any television — and he’s behind on Thrones‘ current seventh season. So perhaps that was a source of confusion. But Martin does watch the series.

Regular readers of Martin’s blog know he posts HBO’s trailers, hosts screenings of GoT at his historic Jean Cocteau Cinema in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and will praise the fantasy drama’s actors, producers, and crew during awards season. In general, however, Martin avoids discussing the show’s current storylines — which have extended beyond the narrative scope of his five A Song of Ice and Fire novels — deferring questions to showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss.

Martin is also heavily involved in HBO’s Game of Thrones prequel projects in development (of which four have been confirmed by the network). And of course, he’s also working on sixth ASOIAF novel, The Winds of Winter.

The 80-minute seventh season finale of Game of Thrones airs this Sunday. Check out HBO’s 9 photos from the final episode.

tommy-thewho and vince like this.
  8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

It's been 6 years not sure George will finish the series..

9. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Doesn't GRRM have a contractual obligation to get these books finished. This is ridiculous. You'd think that the most popular series on television would have lit a fire under his ass to get the books finished and done. His jet setting around the globe reading parts of his unreleased novel, and going to comicon is getting old. By the time he's actually finished writing these books (if he ever gets them finished), we'll already know the overall gist of the story. He appears to me, a very chaotic individual who stretches himself thin. He's probably a genius writer, but his time management skills suck, he needs to prioritize his responsibilities. He's probably a nice guy and everything but for **** sake **** or get off the pot. And now if he's going to have a say in the upcoming HBO GoT prequels (whatever that may entail), that's going to take him away from his novels even more. and the whole cycle will continue (more comicon, chapter reading in Thailand, book signings in London, Guest speaker at some university on how to write novels etc etc etc). Apologies for my rant and rave. But this is my personal feelings on the matter.

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm sure his response to you would be.......

tommy-thewho, Rubber65 and GodShifter like this.
  11. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'm sure any contractual obligations he had, disappeared once he'd sold a gazillion copies of the first few books, sold the TV rights and paid back his advance!

I'd say it's fairly certain that he'll die before the books are completed, disappointing as that is.

tommy-thewho and GodShifter like this.
  12. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Do I wish he finished the series? Of course! But we're talking about a senior citizen who started the series 20+ years ago (When it was "simply" an alagory of the English Civil War).

He's the genre's finest author since Tolkien, he financially successful and doesn't owe anything to anyone. So let him take his time.

PS: He also is in an odd position: His book series became super-popular thanks to the TV adaption, this brought a lot more 'eyes' to his work. I believe a lot of his cryptic prophecy stuff (R + L = J, anyone?) has been dissected ad nauseum, and he's now forced to rewrite the series ending based on Internet criticism.

GregM, Lonson and vince like this.
  13. He should employ a ghost writer. Give 'em the narrative and let 'em finish the series. He could also consult with JK Rowling on how best to balance public expectations and his own muse (and how to finish a story). She did a fantastic job of it.

14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I'm rewatching episode 6 again. The conversation between Jon and Jorah is interesting, especially after Jon offers the sword that belonged to the Mormonts. When Jorah holds the sword and looks at it, he seems to be considering something very seriously, and I think his reply is telling. He hands it back to Jon and tells him it will serve him and his children. I think he decides in that moment that Jon is the right suitor for Daeny but if anyone thought it was just him refusing the sword because he brought shame to his house, of course that's a legit interpretation.

15. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

While i agree with you that he is the genre's finest authors out there and that yes he is in an odd position (did he not want this to be adapted for movies and tv originally because of the complexity of the story?), I do feel personally that he does owe his fans. Without his fans, he wouldn't be where he is today. Had HBO not picked this up I still think that he would have had a following, definitely not as big as whats happened but faithful followers nonetheless (especially fantasy readers). I started the novels when they originally came out and could't get enough of them. Gobbling each one, anticipating the next one, then when I heard they were adapting this for a series I was a little concerned because I thought how in the hell are they supposed to weave the complexity of his novels into an actual series. To my surprise HBO delivered big time. Don't get me wrong I love everything game of thrones (novels and HBO series). For me personally the novels are what I started off with and, ideally, what I would like to finish with.

GodShifter and tommy-thewho like this.
  16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I don't know. I think I'm more fond of Stephen R. Donaldson. My wife is probably more fond of Terry Brooks.

I think Martin has the advantage in terms of mass awareness mostly due to the success of the tv show itself.

GodShifter likes this.
  17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Very interesting thought which I had not considered. You may be on to something here.

18. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

And she's still a complete twit.

19. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

My objection has nothing to do with character development, its the speed with which things are moving. As I said previously, its like we are watching highlights, or scenes from GOT.

Lonson and GentleSenator like this.
  20. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

SRD is IMHO the best sci-fi / fantasy author going, much as I appreciate & respect GRRM.

Aggie87 likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Martin apparently has a stipulation that if he dies no one can take over the story and finish it. Apparently he was friends with Robert Jordan and was a bit dismayed that after Jordan's death that the "Wheel of Time" series continued in a shoddy fashion.

I don't think Martin is one of the best writers in fantasy or anything else but he's certainly crafted a brilliant tale based on The War of the Roses. The shame is he'll never finish the books and with the tv series concluding he really has no impetus to do so unless the fire is lit under his ass to show up the tv series and give the fans his take. I just don't think he's motivated.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, and perhaps his lack of motivation may in part be due to a fear that he may not be able to show up the tv series, which would be a fate worse than death in the ego stakes!

GodShifter likes this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not sure if this is true there is a rumor Season 8 won't be till 2019.

24. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Don't worry, HBO will accidentally screen it somewhere before then :)

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

There was some talk about this but Nikolaj Coster-Waldau told an interviewer they're going back into production in October so I think it will be back next year, though maybe not till fall.

tommy-thewho likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.