Garrard turntables...why so cheap?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Aquateen, Jun 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

This is the best solution if you want the TT to last "forever" with few or no problems!

2. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

As long as one stays away from the newest ones that go back to pre-1940 underhung arm designs.

Any Technics 1200 knock-off today 'd probably do fine with some tweaking -- custom mat(s), dampening in all the right places, etc. unless it's an incredible piece of junk to begin with.

I'd watch out for shoddily put-together tonearms however, check out GabeG's thread from some time ago:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17551

Damián

3. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I ended up with a Thorens TD160. Thanks for all your advice though guys.

4. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Enjoy!

5. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Steve wrote:

Don't trust him - he just doesn't want to drive up the price for used Garrards! Look at
    Steve's profile! :laugh:

Arne

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good choice. I had a Thorens for a couple of years in the early '80s with first an Excel unipivot and later a Rega RB300. I used a nmber of cartridges, but mainly the Garrott P77 - a world class moving magnet cartridge at a realistic price; too bad they've gone.

Regards,
    Geoff

7. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like it quite abit. Well after I soddered in some new RCA cabling that is. I'm planning on putting in a Sure (Shure?) cart sometime soon. Is that the way to go? Any other suggestions?

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

that is spelled Shure

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

The Audio Technica AT440ML seems to enjoy a good reputation in most forums I've read, this one included. I'm after one myself.

I think I remember someone at another forum referring to it as a 'poor man's Shure V15' (it's about 1/3rd as expensive).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.