Gary Numan Remasters...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by latheofheaven, Jan 15, 2018.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog... Thread Starter

Any thoughts please about the recent remasters? I THINK the 2 LP (purple?) release of Dance is coming out in a few days. I have to check, but I THINK that I have US originals. It would be nice to know how these new remasters sound.

The ONLY reason why I'm curious is because his last 2 vinyl releases sound AWESOME! Particularly the 2nd to last one 'Songs From A Broken Mind' Blew my frigg'n PANTS off! Had to go outside my stereo room naked to get them to put them back on! :D So, I'm figuring that if he had the same guy remaster these, then they sound sound VERY good!

Thanks!

2. latheofheaven

Nothing...?

Really...?

3. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

I just purchased the "Dance" reissue. Nothing to compare it to, unfortunately, and I'm totally new to this album. I can say that my copy is perfectly flat, centered and with zero surface noise/defects on either piece of purple vinyl. Sounds really good sonically, too. I'd say this is a great buy for a double, colored, import(?) LP of this quality that only cost me $22. Solid.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. latheofheaven

Heh... thanks again Bro! :D

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I absolutely love Gary's '99 expanded Dance CD, mastered by the recently departed John Dent, and can't wait to have all those tracks (plus an extended "Moral"!) on vinyl

The expanded Telekon and remastered Pleasure Principle vinyl reissues from 2015 state on the front sticker that they're pressed from 96kHz/24bit files (presumably same ones that Beggars released for download simultaneously) and I imagine this will be the same

They did a recent reissue of Premier Hits too, didn't they? Presumably Replicas also, though I haven't heard any of them yet. I've already got Living Ornaments '79+'80 in the twofer gatefold

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. latheofheaven

Thanks kindly for the info mate! Well, when I put the vinyl on for Songs from a Broken Mind, DAMN! I think it made me sterile! :yikes: WOW! Did that sound amazing. Maybe YOU know who did the mastering of that. The newest one is very good, maybe just a slight step back sonically, but still very good. I'm hoping that these new purple beauties will sound good! :) It's more beat-oriented and more spare arrangements as opposed to his more usual heavily layered drone sound (which I also LOVE!) which may lend itself to a more detailed presentation, we'll see...

aphexj likes this.
  7. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I have all the vinyl originals, haven't looked into any of the vinyl remasters yet. Have a CD reissue of The Pleasure Principle which is quite good; includes some bonus live tracks from the Hammersmith shows.

8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

If it's the late-90s Beggars CD, I've had that one for a long time, too. Also impeccably mastered by John Dent. Interesting single mixes for some of the live songs ("On Broadway" was always a favourite for Billy Currie's amazing ARP Odyssey solo)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I am definitely interested in this vinyl reissue of Dance! Every copy I've ever bought (used) has been plagued by surface noise.

latheofheaven and Squad 701 like this.
  10. latheofheaven

I have an early / original US pressing that I've had forever, but it's been quite a while since I listened to it. IIRC, I THINK it should be pretty clean and quiet. Normally, I would make a point to give it a critical listen before considering buying any remaster, but since I really like the album, and it has xtra material on 2 LPs, AND it's purple, AND his last two albums sounded amazing, AND it's ef'n GARY BLOODY NUMAN!!! ... I figured I'd take a chance and get it from Amazon... :)

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  11. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

I received my Telekon copy today. Great one ! Perfectly flat and quiet wax. Love it !

Gary Numan - Telekon

12. latheofheaven

Sounds great! So, other than the usual 'flat & quiet', how are the sonics and the dynamics? Do you happen to have an original to compare?

13. latheofheaven

Hmmm... I guess I didn't come back here and comment about how Dance sounded. Sorry about that... o_O Fortunately the fellow above commented and shook me out of my senile reverie...

In a word, YES! The 2 LP (lovely purple) vinyl sounds excellent. Very dynamic and very nice! Recommended. I haven't directly compared it to my original yet, but my first impression on it's own merits was very favourable.

14. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

You can read this on the cover : Mastered from HD digital 96/24 transfers of analog tapes.
    I did not know the original, but to me the sound is pure analog, nothing digital here. At the minute I played it, I was in 79. Next step : Dance.

15. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

BTW, my vinyls are black.

16. latheofheaven

Hey, that sounds great Bro! :righton: Whoever he has doing his albums apparently seems to be doing a good job. I don't know if I mentioned it above, but if you wanna hear sound that will blow your PANTS off, get Splinter: Songs from a Broken Mind :D I have a 2nd set on backorder from Amazon.

I'm not sure, but I don't THINK the Telekon set has coloured vinyl. The Dance set does, or at least the one I bought does...

17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I also second the 1999 remasters praised above. Much of the Tubeway Army/Numan original Beggars Banquet UK vinyl sounds fantastic, but the 1999 CDs sound as close as a CD can get IMO.

Sad that John Dent who did them, is dead. He made some very good and precious Numan, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Tones on Tail and The Fall CDs for Beggars Banquet from the late 90s to 2009.

In contrast the post Beggars CD remasters on Sanctuary or Eagle were generally not very nice. I sold them all and kept the LPs.

18. latheofheaven

Oh, since we are on the Numan thread... :) Just wanted to mention, if you have a chance to score his album 'Pure' on vinyl from the company: Let Them Eat Vinyl, it is a 2 LP RED vinyl set which, although sounding a tad more digital, still sounds pretty good. I THINK it is the only version on vinyl. I was fortunate to snag one at a friend's record store in the San Diego area last year used for about $20. I THINK it's going now on Discogs starting at $75...

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  19. latheofheaven

That's good to know mate! Hmmm... sounds like that John Dent had an excellent pedigree all right [​IMG] Oh, kind of related... If you have ANY chance, and I mean ANY chance at all of getting Daniel Ashes 2 LP (marbled yellow vinyl) solo album (I just bought it from James here, but I forget the album title, sorry...o_O) The sound quality on that puppy actually SCARED the $...t outta me when I 'dropped' the tonearm down on that Mutha! Definitely at least equivalent in dynamics to Songs From A Broken Mind... :edthumbs:

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

Is it called Stripped ? Stuff like that is hard to get outside the US without paying a bomb for shipping. Most later Bauhaus related vinyl stuff doesn’t get properly released in Europe :( ..but thanks for the recommendation.

I was tempted by the Broken Mind vinyl as I loved the album, but I resisted and stuck with the book CD thing. I’ll probably regret it when the vinyl is disappeared!

21. latheofheaven

Yeah, I think it is 'Stripped'... I'm not one to care for vocalists much, but MAN what a voice that guy has! Him and the guy from Type O Negative. Well, I'm not a CD person, but like you have mentioned, if the CD version is mastered well and it sounds good, then unless you are a vinyl 'fanatic' that should stand in well for it... As far as Bauhaus goes, I have a couple of their UK albums / compilations IIRC. I have almost all of the original Love and Rockets on vinyl, except there last kind of Ambient one, which is VERY expensive!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

The cheapo Bauhaus compilation CD Crackle was mastered by John Dent around the same he did the Numans, and sounds very similar with his Beggars trademark analogue sounding excellent EQ. He also mastered most of the Beggars Love and Rockets 5 Albums 1985-1989 5CD set, which was a mega bargain when it came out, hopefully still is, for anybody inteterested.. :righton:

23. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Do the Warriors bonus cuts feature any of Bill Nelson's original mixes (since Numan remixed Nelson's original mixes at the time)?

24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I’m not sure that any of the Bill Nelson stuff ever saw the light of day

25. Moriarty17

Moriarty17 New Member

Hi Folks Newbie here. I'm not remotely interested in vinyl again for Numan releases - had enough of that back in the day....

I Assassin 96/24 transfer c/o Loud Mastering for the vinyl release is a welcome addition this year. Replicas, Pleasure Principle, Dance and Telekon all benefit from being straight transfers from the original record cutting master tapes so they are as close to these as we can get at the moment. The CD remasters done by the late great John Dent in the late nineties early 00's are very good but Telekon has a couple of hick-ups most notably a complete keyboard channel missing on the track "Remember I was vapour". I would def' go for the 96/24 transfers, they sound more original and Replicas sounds absolutely stunning.
    For my tuppence worth I would like Beggars Banquet to get all of the Tubeway Army/Numan analog tapes archived into DSD and not leave it at the 96/24 transfers we have now. Why? - it's a better way of doing it.