Gear for dubbing LPs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CardinalFang, Apr 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

I know this comes up a lot, but I think my circumstances are a little different...

I don't have a hi-fi set-up. Most of the time I'm listening to music with my home studio set-up. I don't love the speakers, but I'm used to them and I can usually get good sounds when recording.

In the future, I will probably lay down some cash for some nice hifi pieces. But for now, I want to dub some of my LPs to CD so I can enjoy them without compromising the condition of the vinyl. My studio set-up includes an M-Audio Delta 1010 sound card/break-out box.

I have a Dual 1219 turntable with a Shure M32E cartridge & stylus. I have three amps: a JVC receiver/amp from the late 80s, a Fisher Stratokit tube unit that needs repaired, and a cheap-o Optimus that I picked up at Radio Shack just so I could listen to vinyl over my monitors (I just patch it in to my Mackie mixer).

Should I get some sort of mono-stage preamp that will allow me to make good dubs from my Dual turntable? Depending on the impedance, I could patch that into the Mackie or right into the breakout box.

Should I repair the Stratokit and patch it into the Mackie or breakout box from the Tape Out?

I'm not in the position to spend a lot of money right now, but would like to start dubbing records after I move. Any comments or suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks!

PS I don't have a record cleaning system, so I might have to pick up a manual Nitty Gritty, unless there are some other products to consider.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You sound like you're all set to me!

3. CardinalFang

Are you sure? I guess I'm curious about the mono preamp. Surely this can be likened to a mic preamp... they all sound different. I've heard dramatic differences between mic preamps.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Turntable plugged into JVC phono. JVC tape out to break out box.

5. CardinalFang

Okie dokie, Steve!

Thanks guys...

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Very important step to me. I have the VPI 16.5. Can't stand to listen to records without a pass or two through the cleaner. Very highly suggested that you invest in one of these type machines. It'll create a cleaner surface for you needle too. Not as much crap clinging to it.

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

A good phono preamp will sound better than the JVC or Radio Shack gear, but it'll cost you. In the mean time, what Steve said.

8. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had a go at dubbing 78s?
    I understand that there are a number of tricks wherebye people sum l and r for lower noise or even do even odder things in order to listen to Edison Hill and Dales.
    Jeff

9. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Since they are in mono, I would think that if you mixed the channels, the noise should cancel itself out. That would be assuming there would be the same amount of signal in each channel. I did that with a dodgy radio interview that had some noise and mono/stereo problems. After I mixed the channels in Cool Edit, most of the noise disappeared.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.