Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Great points and I can believe it. Gene would have brought four strong songs to the album (standing out even more), thought one aside to your theory is that Gene still sang on more songs than anyone else, so if their egos prevented him from having two more originals, that's one thing, but he still had more lead vocals which apparently wasn't an issue. The whole Michael Clarke thing is interesting, though I have no knowledge of it or if it's true.

What about my theory that the In A Misty Morning bootleg take is from the Byrds sessions of 1972, not 1978-79?

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I wouldn't say only Gene had adequate good material - all of The Byrds were on fire in 1972/73 - any one of them had choice of great material , they just didn't put it on this album. For what it's worth Crosby's For Free and Laughing are for my money almost as good as Gene's songs. Crosby's songs from the Crosby Nash album would have worked on this project too.

Hep Alien and davenav like this.
  3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

This is where the problem is- unlike CSN, who generally put their best songs on collaborative albums within their trio/duo/quartet lineups, Crosby (and probably others) didn't feel that the reunion album merited submission of their best work. So, that meant second-tier originals (Hillman's songs) re-recordings of songs that didn't need tampering with in the first place (Crosby, Clark, McGuinn) and covers.

Only Clark (and Michael Clarke) seemed to be stepping up in terms of material.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Yup still waiting for mine.

5. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Finally received my delivery of the 2 LP and DVD set here in NY. Beautiful package and appears to be more than worth the wait. Looking forward to digging in and enjoying over the next few days. This labor of love has rekindled my trust in Sierra, so much so that I've signed up for Gold Membership. That sampler cd looks sweet, and $60 is a small price to pay to invest in a company that has it's heart in the right place.

Thanks again to John D. and here's hoping things go smoother for him and Sierra going forward.

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Two words for John: "College" and "Intern". There's a number of colleges and universities near you. Including USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy maybe someone there could actually help you figure out how to run your business efficiently, and create a platform for a small company like yours to better serve its customers. Bad luck nonwithstanding, I'm sure there's at least a few college students in southern CA hoping for a career in music who would welcome the chance to get hands on experience. Hell, you can even give them a title like 'VP of Global Distribution" Looks good on a resume.

moops, Lightworker, sunspot and 3 others like this.
  7. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

No DVD, just a note saying it was coming in a seperate package. That was 6 months ago.

8. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Ps: If you have an email that actually gets a response, i'd love to have it. I've used 4 (that were from then initially) and all are returned into my spam folder.

9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I know a few of you have been disappointed with Sierra's shipping, but I thought some of you might be interested in this email I received last night:
    50% OFF SUMMER SALE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The end of Summer sale to end all summer sales, to get ready for the FALL and WINTER releases. Sierra Records is at a crossroads and your support is needed more than ever so that starting this Fall, these new releases will see the light of day.

Everything, and I mean everything in the current Sierra Mail Order online mail order catalog is now 50% off the listed price for both Sierra and non Sierra titles. Just order $25 or more and at checkout in the "Discount Code" box just enter:

Your 50% discount will processed before shipping and handling costs. But this sale will only last until Thursday, AUGUST 17th at midnight. Just click on the link below to the Sierra Records Mail Order website:

SIERRA RECORDS MAIL ORDER WEBSITE
    [​IMG]

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen likes this.
  10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

I've ordered from Sierra numerous times over the last 20 years, without incident. For the most part my orders have not been Sierra releases, per se, but titles, like the Byrds' reissues, from other labels. Although, especially in recent years, I could have gone to Amazon or the emanating source for some of these titles, I've ordered from Sierra out of appreciation for Mr. Delgatto's commitment to this type of music.

Yes, the Gene Clark lost sessions seemed to take forever but my CD eventually arrived, so no issue.

There was a 50% off sale earlier in the summer. I ordered the White Light demos and the Dutch Roadmaster CD. I received the following email:

Your recent order has now been received. I thank you for your
    order. My computer system crashed more than three weeks ago and only
    now functioning again.

Orders are being now being processed and have already begin to ship.
    However, orders that include "non-Sierra" titles will be delayed as
    these are on order from the supplier with limited availability. For
    the past five years, major labels have been and will continue to
    delete older titles in their catalogs moving to digital downloading
    only.

I will endeavor, however, to get these titles to you but please
    understand it will take some days to get them all back into stock.

Sincerely,

John Delgatto, Founder/President

I must say I was a bit chagrined by this response. My natural thought was, "why advertise these titles if you do not actually have them in stock?" (Note: neither title is listed for this week's sale).

Nonetheless, I will hold out hope that my order eventually gets filled. As indicated, all of my past experiences with Sierra have been positive.

indigo_m likes this.
  11. I think the lesson learned for the label is to not post information until a firm release date has been finalized. I think that created expectations and, given the rapid following that Gene has, it made it that much more difficult to be patient for this fantastic set.

Clarkophile and Mr. D like this.
  12. Backatcha

Backatcha New Member

Finally, I received the Vinyl/DVD today, in Montreal, Canada.

kyodo_dom and indigo_m like this.
  13. E.Jonker

E.Jonker Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my "prerelease" vinyl and CD in Australia....:(

kyodo_dom likes this.
  14. kyodo_dom

kyodo_dom Forum Resident

All quiet on the postal front in Tokyo, too...:waiting:

E.Jonker likes this.
  15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I hope that's a good sign:cheers:

E.Jonker likes this.
  16. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

Just released on Continental records Leo Koster sings Gene Clark.

Six song CD versions of.

ECHOES
    SET YOU FREE
    BOSTON
    FOR A SPANISH GUITAR

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  17. johnny staccato

johnny staccato Forum Resident

oops, got cut short!
    Also
    SAY YOU LOST YOUR BABY
    FAIR AND TENDER LADIES

Byron Berline features on For A Spanish Guitar

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  18. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

Still waiting for mine as well!

19. E.Jonker

E.Jonker Well-Known Member

Yay!! My vinyl and DVD arrived this morning! Beautiful!!

kyodo_dom, indigo_m and Gez like this.
  20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Got mine here in the UK today - keep the faith! Love the certificate signed by Kai Clark.

21. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

What is the DVD about? I was fortunate to receive my CD's some time ago - is the DVD something I'm supposedly going to receive as well?

indigo_m likes this.
  22. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

DVD came with my LP - just watched it, really nice interview with Gene about all stages of his career and plenty of rare photos included. I'm curious to know why he sang with such a lisp in the 80's because it's not noticeable in his speaking voice. Curious. He comes across as such a great guy, you need to see it.

E.Jonker and indigo_m like this.
  23. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Wasn't the "lisp" ("sh" instead of "s") caused by him getting all his teeth knocked out in a car smash? I have always assumed those 80s demo's (Gypsy Angel) were recorded during a short space of time (not over a period of 7 years as the CD title suggests) and that time coincided with him being a bit "gummy". (These are my favourite recordings of Gene post-No Other, FWIW.) Is the lisp there on other 80s recordings? I can't say I've noticed it, but I maybe wrong.

indigo_m likes this.
  24. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Thanks for that Pretz, ordered today. :cool:

GORTS!!! I did NOT post this comment! What's going on?

25. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

You won't regret it!

E.Jonker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.