Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drummerdogg

drummerdogg Forum Resident

My "holy Grail " for Gene Clark recordings would be The Byrds live at Ciro's 1965. That would be hard to top.

HoundsOBurkittsville and zobalob like this.
  2. drummerdogg

I've got a copy in great quality, and they ( except Full Circle ), are much better than the Dickson versions that have been released. Hopefully someone will see fit to release these, at some point. Add the 3 songs from the recent Sierra release that were cut at the same time , and it would be a nice addition to the Gene Clark catalog.

3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

New Record Label: Intervention Records

For those that may not have seen it, Shane at Intervention Records mentioned this, what may well turn out to be the definitive version of 'White Light'. Here's hoping for an SACD!

Dee Zee, sjaca, kyodo_dom and 3 others like this.
  4. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Oh man, great news! My Sundazed reissue of this sounds funky to me, like they used weird EQ, or not a great source. I have an original A&M pressing that sounds incredible, just glorious sound - but I've never been able to find or afford a copy that was in better shape that VG. Here's hoping that this equals are betters the A&M OG (like their Flying Burrito Bros. release). I'd also kill for similar AAA reissues for "Fantastic Expedition", "Roadmaster", and "No Other".

Oh yeah, and while I'm wishing could someone also please find the multi-tracks for "Why Not Your Baby" and finally do a stereo mix... :shh:

5. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

There is also a re-issue of 'No Other' coming this year from the 4AD label.

indigo_m likes this.
  6. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Any more details on this please?

Clarkophile likes this.
  7. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

I really hope it’s AAA, or if not, it doesn’t take the wind out of the sails of a potential Intervention release. Between 4MWB and MOV the world doesn’t need another mediocre digitally sourced version of this album.

8. drummerdogg

Do we really need another reissue of something that's available ? How about something that's not ? Lots of stuff rumored, A live show from Gene's kick-ass Firebyrds Band ( which included Mike Clarke ), would be a worthy release. Lots of good boots of this band out there, but a cleaned up legit one would be welcomed. Still wish someone would find the REAL Holy Grail : a live Byrds show from Ciro's , in 1965.

9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

No Other deserves a proper reissue, on the level of the Beatles Sgt. Pepper reissue from last year. The Byrds at Ciro's would be a great find, but that's the Byrds, not Gene Clark. There is a wealth of really good material from Gene yet to be heard.

bzfgt, Dok, Clarkophile and 1 other person like this.
  10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Any Gene release is welcome, but live shows from the Firebyrds period into the 20th Anniversary Byrds tribute era are low on my list.

Noise Annoys and indigo_m like this.
  11. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I agree the 4 Men with Beards release was utter crap, but the MOV pressing is quite nice. It may not be AAA, but it sounds quite warm and tubey on my rig. No Other is one of my top ten favorite albums, so I will buy it again.

picassoson and indigo_m like this.
  12. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Unless I'm missing something why would they bother with a No Other special box like Sgt Pepper? We already were given those glorious demo versions plus one outtake. Are there more demos or outtakes? Do you want the album remixed like Sgt Pepper? Unless they want to wait until the 50 year anniversary to extend the copyright. If that's the case, see you in 2024. Speaking of 50 year copyright extension releases, 1968 is up. That might explain the releases coming out this year. Could one of them be Dillard and Clark material? Hope so!

The Byrds live at Ciro's would be amazing to hear if the performances are great (as we are led to believe) - but does something like that exist in the hands of collectors or is someone hoarding it?

davenav likes this.
  13. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Yes, I believe that there are many takes from No Other that have not been heard yet and a re-mix would be nice too. I didn't like how the 4 men with beards version sounded.

I would love to see a Dillard and Clark Anniversary reissue too, but I believe those master tapes are now lost and no outtakes have ever surfaced.

davenav and Ram4 like this.
  14. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Well I'm all for any further No Other material, so if you think there are more takes to release and even remix the album (which is a decent mix) then I'm all for it too! I don't feel there are outtakes from Dillard and Clark, but I figured something might surprise us. Oh well.

davenav, Clarkophile and indigo_m like this.
  15. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I have a feeling Dillard and Clark recorded a lot more stuff than what's on the first album. There must have been more tracks or alternate versions, but unfortunately, they appear to be lost forever.

drummerdogg, davenav and Hep Alien like this.
  16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

RSD '18 Special Release: Gene Clark - Back Street Mirror :D

Gene Clark, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductee as a member of the Byrds, struck out on his own in 1966 but by early 1967 he was out looking for another label. These tracks are some of his efforts in recording as a solo singer/songwriter during that time. These recordings included backup by famous L.A Wrecking Crew (Leon Russell, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine, etc.) along with special guest, Hugh Musekela. The 180g vinyl records were pressed at Hand Drawn Pressings in Texas on the newly designed and manufactured 'WarmTone' automated presses. Packaged in a limited edition numbered silver foil jacket.

SIDE ONE 1. Back Street Mirror 2. Don't Let It Fall Through 3. Yesterday, I Am Right
    SIDE TWO 1. She Told Me 2. If I Hang Around 3. That's What You Want

Hep Alien, Mr. D, picassoson and 7 others like this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'd be happy just to hear a stereo version of "Why Not Your Baby." Or even a digital version of the mono mix that was actually sourced from tape.

18. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Wow! More new stuff. Half of these are unreleased, right? I believe Yesterday, I Am Right was recorded during the Masekela sessions, but what are She Told Me and That's What You Want? And is this a different version of If I Hang Around or possibly just Gene alone? I don't buy vinyl, so I hope to see these on a digital release later this year.

Hep Alien, Mr. D, zobalob and 5 others like this.
  19. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

These are unreleased, right?! (although track 2 was on Byrds Parts 2)

SIDE TWO 1. She Told Me 2. If I Hang Around 3. That's What You Want

davenav and indigo_m like this.
  20. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Yes sir! The first side "Yesterday, Am I Right" is the full band version with Hugh Masekela.

21. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

Excellent news! I am hoping this means the unreleased tracks will see the light of day on CD this year.

I wasn't aware that She Told Me existed. As far as I'm aware, it wasn't played at either of the Symposiums nor was it listed in Johnny Rogan's interview on the Clarkophile blog.

I believe that That's What You Want is a demo from 1965. This track, along with If I Hang Around, were part of Sid Griffin's proposed tracklisting for a Sings For You CD issue over a decade ago.

22. Jesse Reiswig

Jesse Reiswig Zen Master of Playlists

This is fantastic news! Can't wait to find out the provenance of the four new tracks.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    drummerdogg, davenav and indigo_m like this.
  23. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Great! The missing Masekela session track! I wondered why it was left off of the Lost Sessions.

indigo_m and davenav like this.
  24. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

It was left off because it exists only as an acetate. Only studio master recordings were included in the release.

25. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

Was a version of Yesterday, Am I Right released before?

I'm not much of a RSD participant. What's the story with distribution - is it random where these 1,300 copies will show up?

drummerdogg and indigo_m like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.