Gene Clark SACD of unreleased recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PeteH, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Thanks for that info. Hope the acetate was in good shape.
    And to ask again about the B side tracks on this release. We know If I Hang Around, but is it the same version with Chip Douglas on it, or just Gene on his own or a totally different version?
    What are the other two tracks?

Hep Alien and indigo_m like this.
  2. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident

She Told Me is a demo from the 1966/7 period. That's What You Want was demoed whilst he was still in The Byrds.

3. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Keep your eye on Clarkophile's blog for more info. shortly... The Clarkophile

I hope there's a CD release planned down the line, I'm not vinylly empowered these days.

Hep Alien, crozcat, indigo_m and 2 others like this.
  4. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Exactly.

5. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Yes, I believe so.

6. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

It is not the Chip Douglas version with the additional instrumentation and vocals.

Ram4 likes this.
  7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Our very own @indigo_m designed front/back covers, as well as the insert. :righton:

8. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

Hey Indy (I know you'll see this)...wow, that's impressive. :righton:

9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Thank you! :shtiphat: The Clarkophile didn't mention that he wrote the excellent cover notes! :winkgrin:

10. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I also noticed on the RSD list that Light In The Attic are re-issuing the OST for The American Dreamer, featuring two Gene Clark songs, one which is only available on that record.

11. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Both Gene songs from that soundtrack are available on this compilation (OOP, granted):

Gene Clark - American Dreamer 1964-1974

12. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Wow a new version - sweet!:goodie: I love that song. It would have made a cool Byrds song. To be a little more specific - is it the same take as the Chip Douglas version, but just features Gene or is it a totally different recording? And if it's a different recording, is it just Gene and a guitar or more instruments?

pobbard and indigo_m like this.
  13. Clarkophile

It is the original demo, onto which Chip later added his overdubs for the Byrd Parts 2 album.

Ram4, crozcat and indigo_m like this.
  14. Jesse Reiswig

Jesse Reiswig Zen Master of Playlists

Thanks for clarifying that.

Clarkophile likes this.
  15. Noise Annoys

Noise Annoys Forum Resident

I'm going to be stressed out now for the next 7 weeks wondering if I'll be able to buy this in my local store before it goes up on Discogs for $100
    :(

AlienRendel likes this.
  16. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

That’s awesome news. I can’t wait for this release.

17. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

So, can we assume that this is part of larger release of unreleased material that's coming later on?

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I still find it amazing that she had a relationship with Harrison Ford. I have to wonder if Roger was aware of this and whether it has affected his love of Star Wars!

19. drummerdogg

drummerdogg Forum Resident

That's a shame they are lost. I wonder how much they recorded ? Another lp with the original lineup ( or Mike Clarke ) would be great. Didn't care for the lineup with Berline & Washburn : they pushed Gene out of the picture. Speaking of No Other, the original Asylum lp still sounds the best to me. With a lot of these " remasters ", all they do is boost the highs and lows, mostly to annoying levels. Not sure I'd want a remix either. T.J. Kaye and Gene mixed it the way they wanted it to sound. Count me in for out takes, if they exist.....

20. drummerdogg

drummerdogg Forum Resident

I think it's a rip-off as well. You wait for a long time in line at your local store, only to find out they don't have what you're looking for. Then it's on EBay for big bucks. It's such a scam.

AlienRendel likes this.
  21. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I used to have an Asylum LP copy in the 70s. It may have been a re-press though, cos it always sounded muddy. I was happy with the remastered CD (w/bonus trax) when it came out, but have to admit I don't listen to it often. Maybe my subconscious is telling me it doesn't have the warm sound it needs. Isn't No Other an ideal candidate for an MFSL job?

22. Jesse Reiswig

My recollection is that the Byrd Parts 2 liners described "If I Hang Around" as being a demo from spring or summer 1966--before the "with the Gosdin Brothers" sessions. I wonder if this date still holds up. Clarkophile or Indigo-m, do you know?

indigo_m likes this.
  23. Clarkophile

It was copyrighted on October 31, 1966, but I don’t know the exact day/month it was written.

indigo_m and Jesse Reiswig like this.
  24. Jesse Reiswig

Interesting. Makes me wonder if the demo was more of a copyright demo than a recording demo then: i.e., done for the purposes of supporting the copyright claim rather than hearing how the song would sound in a studio environment. If so, timing of summer '66 for the recording would make sense.

Clarkophile likes this.
  25. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

A little story.

I used to have a 2005 Acura TL. Among the new technology that was standard - a surround sound DVD-Audio system. This allowed me to put 15 hours of WAV files on one blank DVD disc rather than 80 minutes at a time on a CD. So I would put entire catalogs of artists on a single disc. When it came to Gene I prepared for years before I wanted to attempt his DVD-A because it was a monumental pain to number each track one by one before you burned the disc. My goal was to put just about everything Gene was ever on in chronological order - including the Byrds songs he was the primary singer/writer and bootlegs. The problem was I was always getting new material so I kept holding off. Eventually I got rid of the car and I didn't need to do a DVD-A anymore - I could just do a playlist from iTunes and arrange it anytime I felt like it. I finally put it together - over 20 hours at least. There's actually a bit more I could include (a lot more live MCH and CRY material) but for now I left some of that off. Now that more new archival Gene stuff is on the way I can't help but smile when I think how bittersweet it would have been for me to have new material only to have to re-do the entire DVD-A I burned (if I actually had). Looking forward to what's coming!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.