Genesis 2007 masters... can't listen to originals...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

For the past two years nearly, my main Genesis listening has been the 2007 remasters. I understand these are even remixes, not just different masters. My problem is, despite most saying they're inferior, I cannot for the life of me get into any of the other remasters or original pressings. I'm too used to the 2007 versions.....

Purple, pinkrudy, bobcat and 4 others like this.
  2. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

3. ProgDave74

ProgDave74 Forum Resident

That's very brave of you to admit on this forum!

4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

you should fill out your equipment profile.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was a victim of the "War on Genesis' 2007 Remasters" in a past thread. As I recall, I was told that if I thought the remixes/remasters sound OK, something is wrong with my speakers.

You are playing with fire here son, plain and simple.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  6. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

This could be a sure sign of a Neurodegenerative disease! Seek professional help immediately!

I jest! Tis but a wee stab at some humor. Wee being the operative word.

To each is own mate. Now where is my pen I need to cross someone off my Christmas card list. :laugh:;)

:cheers:

Bemsha, deany76, Tristero and 3 others like this.
  7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For Trespass, Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot, Lamb, W&W, ATTW3, Shapes and IT
    i am absolutely with the OP. For the rest i prefer the originals. (Well SEBTP and Abacab is a draw, i can go both ways with them) And i greatly prefer all the live album remixes too.

Purple, bobcat, PhoffiFozz and 2 others like this.
  8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The first step is admitting you have a problem …

9. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I don't begrudge anyone the right to like what they like, but I still don't understand why they felt the need to remix those albums instead of just remastering them.

10. ProgDave74

Interesting to hear this, as I pretty much agree.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

:doh:

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I can't listen to the originals either... 'cause I don't have them. I plan on making Genesis UK 1sts my next big collecting project, though.

13. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I don't think he's saying he prefers the 2007 remasters for their quality, but rather he's listened to them so much that the originals sound odd. I experienced the same thing when I listened to A Trick of the Tail on vinyl, but I haven't listened to any other original Genesis LPs.

SammyJoe, wayneklein and CrazyCatz like this.
  14. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

This is indeed the problem. My first exposure was the remasters and now the originals sound off.

Purple likes this.
  15. ProgDave74

I think this is probably a common problem (not just with Genesis but with all music). I remember at one point reading a story where there was a pretty egregious mastering error on some early CD, and then when they finally corrected it, lots of people complained that they ruined the sound. I think that's just human nature, honestly.

stetsonic, sjaca, Man at C&A and 5 others like this.
  16. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

At the end of the day, if the remasters tickle your fancy, go with it! My personal experience in this case is that original pressings can sound less "punchy" compared to usually more compressed remasters, but if you really give them a listen, the better dynamics eventually win out. There certainly are cases where the original transfers/mastering/sources were just poor & the remaster then makes more sense. Follow your ears!

Jarleboy, SammyJoe, CBC and 4 others like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's all a matter of taste. If you enjoy the 2007 remasters, it's ok. To my ears, they sounded terrible from the very beginning. I've never listened to Genesis on vinyl, and I don't have the original CD's (when they were available, I was not interested in the band). My Genesis collections consists of the 1994 remasters, the 2007 1970-1975 box set, and the Edsel From Genesis to Revelation double CD. An audiophile's nightmare!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  18. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

First exposure or not - the originals (since they are "original") can only ever be considered to be "on" in my book.

The 2007 issues were not only remixed but trashed by excessive dynamic range compression.

Now if that's your thing and it makes you happy - enjoy. But if you are serious about the band and it's music - you should lend an objective ear to the original pressings.

VP

19. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

been hunting high and low for the original issue cd of Wind and Wuthering (not the 1994 DER).

seems impossible to find. I found the silver disc of Trick, which only whet my appetite even more for its wonderful follow-up and companion album.

20. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I have to admit I agree - I really don't find the remasters the sonic crime they're often painted as with the possible exception of Duke which I do find a little fatiguing - but it's never sounded brilliant, I think a nicely mastered version of the remix could be very nice - I don't mind the 5.1 mix.

Having said that I tend to listen to my original vinyl pressings or the 5.1 mixes in the house while the remasters are usually for the iPod/car.

Purple and Kim Olesen like this.
  21. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I think it's very natural that the first version of something you hear becomes the one your brain considers the way it's supposed to be. I just started listening to Nightwish last year and their current singer is the band's third. I heard a concert with her and after tracking down the original versions of the songs they don't sound as good to me! As to Genesis, I haven't heard the 2007 remasters since all I heard was bad stuff about them when they came out. IMO, I think the 1994 remasters are great and were an improvement over the original CDs.

BTW, does anyone know if the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway with the bonus DVD that had the music syncd up to the slides from the original tour has ever been sold by itself?

22. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

I have a set of the 1994 Atlantic (non-remixed) remasters, and these have always sounded fine to me. Got to be a few other folks out there that have these. Opinions on the 1994 remasters?

23. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

My opinion: all bad, with harsh eq and excessive de-noising. One exception: Abacab. That one sounds very nice to me.

24. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Let me just take this moment to say... Welcome to the Steve Hoffman forum Mr. Banks!

:D

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, not always. My first encounter with Zappa's Hot Rats was through the '87 mix. Many years later, I listened to the original mix, and I liked it better. The first Black Sabbath album I listened to was Live Evil. After discovering the albums of the original line-up with Osbourne and Ward, which included many of the songs from that live album, I lost all interest in the Dio years.
    Regarding Genesis, I can't tell if the 1994 remasters were an improvement, for I haven't had the chance of listening to the old vinyl records or the old CD's. But if some day (I highly doubt it) they got re-released (soundwise) faithfully to the original editions, I wouldn't doubt to buy them.

Gardo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.