Genesis Gabriel era SHM and Platinum SHM coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

I'm not Kim Olesen but:

TLLDOB = The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    SEBTP = Selling England By The Pound
    IMO = In My Opinion :D

Shak Cohen and Kim Olesen like this.
  2. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

I'd like to do it, just to see how many it could reach... but english isn't my mother language and I dont want to spoil the message with mistakes. If anyone want to do it, go for it ! And spread the word via this forum, genesis forums, quad forum, facebook, ... And keep fingers crossed :winkgrin:

3. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The listings at CD Japan state these are reissues. :shake:

danielbravo likes this.
  6. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

It says the same thing about "UK" Reissue, and this turn out to be Flat Transfer.

Description
    Cardboard sleeve reissue from U.K. features the latest digital remastering. An obi faithfully replicates the one included with the Japanese LP. Features SHM-SACD format. This series features the following albums "U.K.," "Danger Money," and "Night After Night."
    Special Feature / Bonus Track: bonus track(s)

So we can still hope...

7. zappaien

zappaien Forum Resident

Yup, hope so

8. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

FVDnz likes this.
  9. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

What are "UK VCs"

10. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

VC= Virgin/Charisma.

The original 80s UK CD issues. :)

11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

ah thanks for the clarification. does that hold for the other European Virgin/Charisma pressings released simultaneously or just the UK?

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  12. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Can't say I've done an exhaustive comparison, but using Trick Of The Tail I found the UK VC to be superior to what was either a Japan or German (I don't recall exactly it was a while ago). The UK VCs can be found fairly easily and are well worth it imo. I seriously doubt that they will be improved on, especially without being fiddled with, mix wise.

sound chaser likes this.
  13. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Looking like another wasted opportunity in a Genesis stylee, :shake:

14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

You're welcome. :)

It's complicated - VERY. There's threads and threads on the different versions and is thought there are minor differences between the UK and say West German issues, for some of the albums. This is what I have gathered by following those threads.They may be different transfers though; there's often a minute difference between some of them - but it is there (not on all the individual album releases though.) But as a general rule, you can't go wrong with the UK (and other) Virgin Charismas.

danielbravo and Shak Cohen like this.
  15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

From now on anything they say will be suspect, this isn't the only mistake they made recently.

16. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

I just voted for 'Wilson for Genesis' on facebook - it's sacred thing to do.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Steven-Wilson-must-remix-Genesis/1537117056523048

However, Steven cannot save Platinum release for us. He eventually will do: 2-3 Super Deluxe boxes, Deluxe digipaks and regular CDs, but it's long-long story ahead of us. If you will check how his remasters are going, you can see 3-4 albums for each band, he is working on, were issued within 1-2 years.

Mixing is not a biggest problem. Genesis is a victim of 2007 "Loudness War". That is the major problem here. And Flat Transfer will fix that. We need quick job, as this release schedule to holiday season. Universal, who has huge experience with flat transfer can do it.

Again, this is non-Universal release - it became possible by agreement with Virgin/EMI Jpn.
    Only who can help us, it's Genesis themselves. The artists are plying big role now, as their Rights came back to them.
    After non-Universal Queen release, sounding not good, I thought that flat transfer is not possible. However, Eddie Jobson did it with U.K. releases, despite any agreement.
    And Genesis can do it for us.

We have to write petition to them at Genesis forum (please correct me where I'm wrong):

Dear Genesis,

Unfortunately, your greatest albums are victims of the "loudness war", sound quality of 2007-8 Mastering is poor.
    Now, when Universal Japan is working on new Platinum SHM Mini LP releases, there is nothing more important as to do it right with Flat Transfer from Original Master Tape, similar like U.K. releases were done in September. New 2014 Flat Transfer will increase demand in many times.

All Genesis fans and music lovers are asking you to help with this matter.

17. dartira

You know, I don't want flat transfers. I want well-mastered discs from the original master mixes, done by a good mastering engineer.

This flat transfer myth is not doing the audiophile market any good, IMO.
    We don't want loudness processing, but we do need good eq, well adjusted playback and a trained ear (the faulty Regatta de Blanc SHM-SACD flat transfer comes to mind)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  18. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Please be honest to the end, with us and to yourself. Would you say so, if you would not be backed by LPs? But what should people like me supposed to do - who gave up on the vinyl more than 20 years ago and sold out bad sounding SACDs recently?

You are praised The Lamb original mix, right? The same with Foxtrot and Selling England. Even, if 3 of 5 albums will sound good, it's already better than what we have now. Crap will be crap, even if they will put it on the Platinum plate. Why we have to pay for it again and again?

By paying for the crap, we do encourage them to do it: SHM release last year and Pt SHM now.
    If you going to say: Don't pay, don't buy them. The answer would be: I cannot live with nothing at all.

The sound benefits from Pt surface a lot; it's limited edition, maybe rarest opportunity... but it must be done right.

I know Flat Transfer is hit and miss venue. But it's about 80% ''hit". (Real Sept. release of U.K. comes to mind).
    Why do not even to try? What can we lose here?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  19. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

I've heard several discs stated as flat transfers that sound better than previous releases, only a couple that were disappointing. That sort of success rate would be a boon compared to what is normally on offer.

20. dartira

I understand, but I only used the Classic Records vinyl of The Lamb... as an example of what good mastering can do for this album. I’m sure it could sound as good on SACD.

To be clear: I’m not praising the original mixes. They are not state of the art. But they are the originals.
    IMO, the less said about the 2007 remixes, the better. But to me their greatest sin was the obvious digital mimicking of analog effects, and the very aggressive compression, which is embedded in the mix and cannot be undone by any mastering engineer.

BTW the old Virgin / Charisma cd’s aren’t all that bad.

Absolutely. But to me, crap is either regurgitating the remixes or giving us indifferent transfers of the old mixes.

I don’t agree about the 80%, I’m afraid. I think Universal are spewing out a lot of tinny, uninvolving sounding SACD’s right now, after they got wind of this flat transfer talk.

Look, if a master tape sounds good, you can transfer it flat, great. But you still need someone who knows how to properly calibrate the machine to the specific tape, the Dolby, etc.
    You can even eq through savvy calibration. There’s a lot you can do and still call it a flat transfer.
    It all depends on the operator. But just slapping on a tape and call it a flat transfer, wel, that’s not for me. Just my opinion.

Not to me, although some do sound great, yes. But to my ears, the (platinum) SHM-SACDs and HDtracks are as much a crap shoot as the regular reissue market.
    I prefer good mastering to a lot of those transfers. Good mastering, as in Audio Fidelity / MFSL / Analogue Productions.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    Dino, DiabloG and Endymion like this.
  21. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Actually, that isn't what I said. The SHM CDs that are stated as flat transfers. All bets are off otherwise, and they are indeed every bit as much of a crap shoot if not stated to be so. The ones that are, I have had a better hit rate with.

22. dartira

Ah yes, gotcha. :thumbsup:

23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

First negative comment I've seen regarding Regatta, I personally liked it. Too flat for you?

24. dartira

No, I think the playback was mis-calibrated. The sound is too wet, reverbs and echoes are too overcooked, unnatural. That's a sure sign of Dolby A under-calibration. If you compare it to all other versions (UK vinyl, all cd issues), it sounds nothing like them. It's also too thin sounding to me. No bass, no bloom, all treble. Hope I'm not being too harsh.

Plan9 and mozz like this.
  25. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

I agree with that, didn't quite like the sound on "Reggatta..." (SHM SACD).
    Same thing with "Countdown to Ecstasy" - Steely Dan (SHM SACD): the sound is like.... bloated and harsh in parts. Lots of detail, though, like many members here have stated.

dartira likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.