Genesis Gabriel era SHM and Platinum SHM coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

Yes, that's another good example.

2. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

I think what strikes me the most is that this is a forum hosted by a mastering engineer, and then people start saying how they like their music non mastered and flat - transfered. It is disrespectful, to say the least... :D

dartira likes this.
  3. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Interesting points, I will have to go back and do a comparison. Have you heard the Outlandos SHM-SACD and if so what do you think of it?

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

This :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dartira likes this.
  5. dartira

No, I haven't heard Outlandos, sorry. If you do a comparison, it's very obvious at the start of the title track. You know, where Stewart does his hi-hat stuff :)

6. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Whoops, I meant to say "Zenyatta Mondatta" SHM-SACD.

7. dartira

Ah, well I haven't heard that one either. Love the album though.

8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Have not heard it, too. But 'Synchronicity' rocks. It's now my favourite mastering of the album:wave:

dartira likes this.
  9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Listening now, and it's immediately obvious that the A&M CD has more bottom end and less high end, more evenly balanced all around.

dartira likes this.
  10. dartira

Yes, more balanced, I agree.

Hm, going to have to check that one out then. Thanks. :righton:

@OP: my apologies for the threadjack. Back to Genesis!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  11. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

"I think what strikes me the most is that this is a forum hosted by a mastering engineer, and then people start saying how they like their music non mastered and flat - transfered. It is disrespectful, to say the least... " -- mozz 10/7/14

I am strongly disagree.
    I deeply believe that this forum was established not to hear ass-liking complements every day, but that people around the globe could share their experience with each other and, also, to study the demand.

If in my system Aja sounds great, I am not going to say otherwise just to be polit-correct. Because, if I'd do, it will lead us to the dead end.

For esample, I was looking for Steely Dan Countdown to Extasy (SHM-SACD) album and found your comment: "the sound is like.... bloated and harsh in parts." So, what should I do? I don't want to spend my money for a such sounding disc... But you may say so only to look nice and respectful. So, should I ignore your comment and buy it anyway? That's what I named the dead end.

I've spent more than 30 years of my life learning to read between the lines... Trust me, there's nothing good about that.

It is - what it is. Let keep it this way.

12. toilet_doctor

Back to Genesis...

It would be nothing disrespectful to anyone, if Genesis master tapes would be good and flat transfer from them will sound good. That's what I count for.

In general, I know that Flat Transfer is only a step in a mastering process and they need to work on it more. Uni knows that better than anybody else. They even put this next step in the credit: "Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2014." But they don't leave their people time to do it. Faster and faster, more and more - cutting corners.

However, let me tell you, guys, a little secret, but please don't tell anyone:

regardless what we will do, Uni is working on flat transfer right now and almost done.

Number 1: They did not specify like before "using latest remastering" - it's already good sign.

Number 2: They said: "SHM-CD released simultaneously. Mlps. No paper case" - why, in a world, they will re-release it with 2007 remaster now, if 2013 SHM-CD release with 2007 remaster still in stock and in stuck, and sucks?

Number 3: After 2013 Blu-ray Audio release of Selling England with 2007 remaster, production was stopped, though they advertized more titles.

End of story.

toilet_doctor

zappaien likes this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

This all seems a bit confusing, there's a bit too much conjecture going on .....

If these forthcoming mini-lps offered anything new with regards mastering or mixes, wouldn't it be in CD Japan's best interest to state this, to stimulate buyer interest further ?
    Unless it's announced closer to release, there really isn't any reason to think that these won't be a re-press of the last lot - SHM-CD mini-lps of the re-mixes.
    It seems the only difference Universal can provide at the moment is a Platinum CD run as well, as they are proving popular.
    All you may end up with with is a different cat#, and maybe a different obi.
    A Platinum CD release doesn't guarantee a new mastering, flat transfer or otherwise.
    I'd love to be proven wrong though !

toilet_doctor likes this.
  14. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

I am strongly disagree.
    I deeply believe that this forum was established not to hear ass-liking complements every day, but that people around the globe could share their experience with each other and, also, to study the demand.

If in my system Aja sounds great, I am not going to say otherwise just to be polit-correct. Because, if I'd do, it will lead us to the dead end.

For esample, I was looking for Steely Dan Countdown to Extasy (SHM-SACD) album and found your comment: "the sound is like.... bloated and harsh in parts." So, what should I do? I don't want to spend my money for a such sounding disc... But you may say so only to look nice and respectful. So, should I ignore your comment and buy it anyway? That's what I named the dead end.

I've spent more than 30 years of my life learning to read between the lines... Trust me, there's nothing good about that.

It is - what it is. Let keep it this way.[/QUOTE]

Don't want to thread crap:
    If I don't like the Steely Dan SHM SACD, and i say so IMHO, why it would be only to be nice and respectful? I, like other members, don't like the disc, is as simple as that. There's nothing to read between the lines. Other flat transfered SHM SACD have been great to my ears, and I have posted so (Carpenters, Gentle Giant, etc.).
    My original comment about people liking flat transfers, and how it would be disrespectful to Steve Hoffman, was ironic, it wasn't meant to be a**-licking...or being politically correct, or whatever.

Back to Genesis, and hope that the SHM-CD turn out to be great in the end.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  15. toilet_doctor

"A Platinum CD release doesn't guarantee a new mastering, flat transfer or otherwise." -- moops

I'm glad, you brought it up. I just gave 3 good speculations to think about - not to order them.

One thing is almost certain: Pt will come without boxes either, as they are $3-4 cheaper than the other Pt CDs (currently about $30).

I believe that at the moment they put ad, decision was not taken yet. But I think that commercial success of U.K. releases in Japan did push them to Flat Transfer and this is speculation Number 4.

If this really will be good sounding 2014 Flat Transfer, I recommend to buy Platinum version regardless of anything. Difference in price of $5 will be justified in several times. This is Limited Edition (limited by the agreement); when it's gone - it's gone. Plus, absence of SACD version will make Platinum exclusively valuable after OOP.

Why is no SACD version there? More likely EMI will do worldwide SACD release with new remaster in 2017-18 or so (speculation Number 5).

moops and mozz like this.
  16. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

What's the status on these? Is it all just speculation or is there anything concrete?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There seems to be SHM-CDs coming.

The speculation is on whether they will contain the current remixes (most likely) or flat transfers of the original mixes (very unlikely, as much as I would like them to).

moops likes this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Not really. Sometimes food doesn't need salt. :)

Zomvid, mozz and sound chaser like this.
  19. mozz

mozz Forum Resident

You're right, sometimes... :shh:

20. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Interesting that they chose the original mixes for a few songs on R-Kive, as reported by Genesis News.com.

http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Genesis-RKive-3CDset-info-review-s575.html

"Not all songs are the remastered versions of 2007, older remastered versions were selected for Abacab, Mama, That's All, Invisible Touch, Land Of Confusion and Tonight Tonight Tonight. In addition, R-Kive features the album version of Tonight Tonight Tonight. When we inquired further, it was confirmed that the band members chose themselves which mixes of the respective songs were to be used for R-Kive. The above songs were all produced by Hugh Padgham, so it's safe to assume that the band was already quite satisfied with the original versions."

So perhaps maybe the band are aware some of the mixes are indeed crap.

21. dartira

Good on Hugh Padgham. He's one of the best.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I will pass on the obligatory confusion between remixes and remasters, but do we know exactly what they mean by "older remastered versions"?
    Are these tracks copies of the Definitive Edition CDs? Or are they the original mixes with a brand new mastering?

23. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Knowing their track record it's most likely the '94 remaster for Abacab. Genesis and Invisible Touch were never given
    proper remaster treatment along with the other albums back then. The other tracks are probably ones mastered
    and released for the previous best-of albums. I would like to be surprised but I just can't bring myself to buy R-Kive
    to have a listen.

24. toilet_doctor

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.