Genesis Invisible Touch, what is the weakest track here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I went with "In Too Deep". There are things I admire about IT, but a lot of it sounds fairly indistinguishable from Phil's "No Jacket Required", especially the ballads.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  2. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I like 70s Genesis a lot, too--Selling England by the Pound is at least tied as my favorite album of theirs, with A Trick of the Tail not far behind, but, Duke through We Can't Dance is my favorite period of the band. I think every album in that run is an absolute gem. (And Duke is either my Genesis #1 or it's the one tied with Selling England by the Pound.)

I'm a huge prog and fusion fan, but I'm also a huge fan of hook-laden pop songwriting, crafty pop musicianship, etc. And that 80s through early 90s Genesis period is a paradigm example of that (with touches of prog at the same time . . . which really hits a sweet spot for me--likewise for Peter Gabriel's solo albums from the debut through So by the way.)

Runicen, blaken123 and DiabloG like this.
  3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I voted for the title track.
    I think “Anything She Does” is a great track; did they ever perform it live?

vudicus likes this.
  4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I'm pretty much with you from Duke through the "Genesis" album. I can find good, enjoyable music on all of those. Not Invisible Touch though.

supersquonk likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Senior Member

The whole album is weak.

6. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The Brazilian is hands down the by far BEST track.

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

"Anything She Does", since I can't remember how it goes.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Tony Banks wrote the words.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Invisible Touch or In Too Deep. If you just match them up to anything bein played on the radio (Iheart the 80’s anyone) in his time they aren't all bad. Just that they arent Genesis songs. Granted ASD isnt very Genesis-y either but its not worst they had to offer.

10. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

One More Night is a far far better tune.

jacethecrowl likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The only song from the album that wasnt.

12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

In Too Deep, although it's really hard to pick. I love this whole album, even if it's the only Genesis album I like.

13. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Even though it has some cool parts, I went with In Too Deep. Just a bit too "wuss rock" for me.

I get why Anything She Does is leading here, but I always liked it. The video was entertaining, too.

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I voted "Tonight, Tonight, Tonight." I hate that turgid mess. But "Invisible Touch," "Land of Confusion" and "Anything She Does" are just as bad really.

15. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

It's interesting that you find "Land of Confusion" to be the worst, because I've always thought of it as the strongest track on the album, as well as one of the best 80's Genesis songs.

no.nine, Ryan Lux and Sytze like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I forgot a video for "ASD" existed - but then I looked at my review of "Video Show" and realized I liked it!

"The song sounds like an outtake from No Jacket Required, but that’s not a terrible thing. It’s a peppy little track, and guest star Benny Hill adds a fun tone to the video. He plays the band’s new head of security and goofs up a storm. 8/10."

FWIW, none of their videos rated above 8/10 from me...

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I have a soft spot for "TTT" because that was one of the first CD singles I ever owned! I found a retailer in the UK and bought it from them along with the single for "Land of Confusion" back when those were super-rare in the US.

My dad let me call the store - as a 20-year-old, it was oddly exciting to make an international call! :)

18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The 10 minute beer commercial

19. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Exactly. It's the only one I can't recall in the slightest, and I don't care enough to dial it up.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Patrick Bateman loves this Album ;)

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Anything She Does is just AWFUL, lowpoint to an otherwise solid pop effort by Genesis.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The last 20 minutes of the album is quite good. The first 26 minutes however is shamefully bad. Genesis were amazing in their prime and this isn't it.

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Anything She Does, for me.

24. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

In Too Deep. It's a pretty good song, but compared to the rest of the album it is perhaps the song I skip the most. Really enjoy the ridiculous Anything She Does, it adds some humor to the blend, and The Brazilian is a towering instrumental, and an excellent closer. The title track is a killer single. Enjoy this album a lot! Too much maybe.

25. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

This almost sounds like trolling :D

vudicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.