Genesis Invisible Touch, what is the weakest track here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Well, in theory, it all comes down to personal taste.
    In practice, what you said ;D

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

All of them

supersquonk likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

Apart from the predictable result about Anything She Does (which is what I voted too), I was expecting a higher degree of "intolerance" for the singles and for the pop-ish stuff.
    I was also expecting a higher dislike for slow pieces compared to the faster ones.

What I find curious, even if it's still early to be definitive, is that Invisible Touch and In Too Deep fared much worse than, respectively, Land Of Confusion and Throwing It All Away.
    To me, they look almost interchangeable, I would expect an evenly split preference.

Moreover, Land has kind of stiff-ish lyrics while Touch flows much better both lyrically and musically IMO (even if it's theme is more superficial).
    While Deep and Throwing are both ballads by a crossover band called Phil and The Mechanics; ok, Deep is more saccarine, but not that much. Plus it's one of Bate's favourites, if I'm not mistaken (you know I HAD to mention that)

Everybody likes Domino, at least.
    EDIT: not anymore

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Agree. Especially Brazilian live.

This album sold to a lot of new and mostly temporary fans. It made them rich and got them their only #1 single. But it cost them much of the rock credibility they'd built as prog rockers and then as a sort of power pop trio with Abacab and the self-titled album.

And how badly did this album date? Well, we're in the midst of an 80s revival right now but you won't hear any of these tunes on your local 1980s station.

I voted for Domino which was the "bathroom break" song for every Genesis tour after that (except the Ray one I assume - never saw that one!)

Frozensoda likes this.
  5. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Probably with old school genesis fans this was a hark back to more progressive material......but to those who loved 80's hits Genesis, I suppose an instrumental might not be their cup of tea. I personally love it.

I've not voted. Whilst possibly the least Genesis, Genesis album, I thought it was exactly what it should be in 1986....and even In Too Deep and Anything She Does were great pop songs, if not necessarily Genesis songs.

I thought it was a brilliant album.

6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

In Too Deep. Sounds too much like One More Night, everything else I love.

7. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Difficult. They are all really weak.

8. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight must be Genesis most overrated track - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, Tonight - aaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - on and on and on and on and on..
    Really really - REALLY boring.

HiredGoon likes this.
  9. The_Windmill

did you miss the central section, perhaps?

raimiz1991inc and Ryan Lux like this.
  10. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

No.

11. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Domino.

#Nylon sheets and blankets help to minimize the cold.#

Yeuch!

12. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Anything She Does

Honestly, I'm voting with this one because it's the only track on the album that I can't summon to memory immediately. I don't have that problem with any of the other tracks on offer here, so the weakest award is delivered accordingly.

Funny enough, there's a lot made of the "Phil Ballads" on this album, but there's something very different between the ballads on a PC solo album and what we get on a Genesis album. Granted, I say this as someone currently going through Phil's solo catalog, so it's a bit fresh, but I find there's a sparse quality to Phil's solo material that just doesn't come up on a Genesis album proper. I'd even go so far as to say that the "Genesis treatment" warms up his tracks in a way that doesn't often happen when he's left to his own devices. Yes, yes, yes, they're all personal songs, etc. but the lyrics are far more immediate and personal than the music tends to be on his solo material. Banks and Rutherford give a human touch to the music.

Just my take, anyway. I find their touches elevate "In Too Deep" and "Throwing It All Away" beautifully.

pantofis, Shaddam IV and Frozensoda like this.
  13. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Oddly enough for this conversation, but In Too Deep has been on the air every weekend in NYC for the past several months on a couple of stations. I think the AP connection may have helped it (it was actually in a movie in 1986, Mona Lisa, before IT came out)

Shaddam IV likes this.
  14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't really know Anything she does or the Brazilian. The rest is brilliant though - best Genesis album.

realmdemagic likes this.
  15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

In Too Deep--it's tepid and it just drones on and on. And as others have said it sounds like too many Phil solo songs... and not the good ones.

Surprised by the negative comments about "Land of Confusion." That song is ace!!!! It's dated but in a good way.

Ryan Lux and Frozensoda like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I love "Anything She Does." It's kind of light, but it sounds different than anything Genesis ever attempted, and hey, that chorus is catchy as hell. Too bad they never figured out how to play it live.

vudicus and Frozensoda like this.
  17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It's really frustrating that there's so much disdain for pop, though (as well as contemporary R&B, disco, and all sorts of other music). I can understand why "poptimists" sometimes act with such disdain towards rock--it's a bit of tit for tat because of the way that pop is disrespected.

18. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Anything She Does. Not that it's bad, it just seems out of place on the album.

People seem pretty divided on this album. I think it's their second best overall, with The Lamb being at the top.

19. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

It took me a long time to appreciate this iteration of Genesis. Now that I do, "Anything She Does" is the only real clunker there.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I think you missed it.

21. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Yes the "Tonight Tonight"part is a top 10 rock cliche, and it's a tad repetitive. But the music is fairly (and immediately) compelling, which is kind of the point.

22. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

My vote goes to "In Too Deep". It sounds like a "One More Night" rehash.

23. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No. It was the album's only unplayed track.

24. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I swear it's true, I love "Anything She Does" and I don't care who knows it! :D

The thing I love about it the most is the way the riffs come in between the vocal lines during the verses.
    I know it's poppy and somewhat cheesy (keyboard intro in particular) but I think it's great.

"The Brazilian" isn't something I dislike, it's just my least favourite on the "Album".
    I do love "Do The Neurotic" and "Feeding The Fire" and would probably have picked one of those instead to go on the album, if it was down to me.

25. Anything She Does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.