Genesis - Seconds Out question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

They aren't chopped. They were performed that way. I never undersood why. I like the intro to Firth of Fifth.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Except for the first few performances of Firth of Fifth in 1973/1974, Genesis never performed the piano intro live. Tony messed it up too many times, so he just gave up being embarassed.

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

That was the opener on their '77 tour. So the album represents that. I personally think it is a tremendous opener. The Hackett/Rutherford guitars sound stunningly powerful yet very detailed!

4. Jeff Carney

That film is from the '76 tour. It was issued on VHS as a Japanese import and also as a Japanese LD. The film runs 45 minutes but given the costs of such productions I wouldn't doubt there were some limits on length. We're talking about footage that is gorgeous Panavision filiming with mind boggling sound. In fact, it's probably about the best sounding concert film from the 70s that I've heard.

5. Auracle

Auracle Forum Resident

Completely agree. I always come back to this as one of their best live albums (and one of my favorite live albums from the 70's) that features great renditions from their best period (IMO). Definite recommend.

6. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I saw them twice in '77. They had two drum sets playing in unison. Guess I should pick this one up.

7. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Now I like Peter Gabriel etc. but I think Seconds Out blows away Genesis Live on all levels. One of the best live albums ever. COLLOSSAL is the word! :righton:

8. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

When making that 45 minute film, They shot two full concerts from all of the camera angels, and recorded the audio as well. The source footage still exists. Nobody seems to want to do anything with it, though.

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Including the director, apparently, who has been contacted by the avid forum members on the Genesis site. Too bad.

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Is there any mention over in the Genesis forums if this one is slated for SACD treatment?

11. Jeff Carney

Great to know this exists! :righton:

12. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

The director says he's not interested in seeing anything done with it. And he says it like he actually has any legal say in the matter, which is unlikely, though he does currently have physical posession of the reels.

Frankly, I think if Polygram, Hit&Run, or whoever controls the rights wanted to edit/release it, they could, without the director. Though I bet if they got the checkbook out, he'd change his tune and would be happy to participate.

13. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Seeing them in '77 with Squonk as an opener was just awesome. It doesn't come across as well on the album as it did live, but what do expect. The lighting was mesmerizing. This thread has prompted me to pullout 3 Sides Live, that I bought used a couple years back and just never got around to it. I can't take anymore than sides 1&2. Only Mr. Banks shows any sign of brilliance of years gone by. Phils voice sounds maybe a little overworked.

Brian

14. 13DoW

13DoW A concoction of conjecture and whimsy

How does the remastered CD sound?

I used to have this one on vinyl a long time ago and really liked it. I was feeling nostalgic recently and thought about buying the remastered CD but I'm so wary of the word 'remastered' these days! Should I look for an early CD copy ?

Regards
    13th Duke of Wymbourne

15. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Nope. The remaster is the way to go (for the entire Genesis catalog IMO).

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Heh, seeing them in '78 in Seattle when they closed with Supper's Ready complete with three 'professional dancers' onstage during the New Jerusalem section was, if not awesome, certainly an eye-opener :D

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Except Trespass.

18. JWB

JWB New Member

What is the best Trespass?

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Original British Charisma/Virgin CASCD 1020. The one with the cropped cover.

20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I agree except I really don't like Foxtrot. The original CD has better tonality but there's a lot of hiss. The remaster is has been muddied by the noise reduction. I wasn't too blown away with the UK vinyl either. I haven't opened my Classic LP yet but I'm not getting my hopes up.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Atlantic or Charisma?

22. jerryf

jerryf New Member

Also, I always thought that Nursery Cryme sounded better on the original UK "cropped cover" Virgin version CAS 1052 from the '80s than the remaster. The best I have, though, is the Classic Records vinyl of Nursery Cryme.

The Genesis remasters are from 1994 and, to my ears, have a minimum of tinkering. The CD's are not loud, which allows for more dynamic range. I have heard that NoNoise was used (which is a concern) but it does not seem to be that evident or bothersome to me. Recently, though, I started listening to Genesis albums on vinyl, and it blew me away! :goodie:

As for Seconds Out, I am starting to look for a decent vinyl copy. It is a great live album and one defnitely to pursue as an introduction to the 70s Genesis.

23. Jeff Carney

Nick Davis posted here recently and apparently noise reduction was used on a few of the early albums because of higher gen. tapes.

In other words, I don't think it was used across the board.

Of course, I wish it hadn't been used at all, but I don't know the whole story behind the use of NR.

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I hate to admit this, but I'm a big Genesis fan and I just recently discovered this record. In fact, I'm a huge Yes fan and I had no idea until a few months ago that Bill Bruford ever played with Genesis. Of course his only appearance seems to be on this live record, and just for the one song. I have since studied up on my history and have discovered things I didn't know.

I started buying Genesis records with Foxtrot when it came out. I guess when Peter Gabriel left I stopped buying them. I rediscovered the later 70's stuff in the early 80's and have pretty much stayed current since them. But for some reason I never had 'Seconds Out' and in fact didn't know it was out there.

Ironically I'm not a huge Peter Gabriel solo fan. Likely the reason for this was his early digital recordings. They were so hard for me to listen to that I tuned him out. :eek:

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I'm not a fan of their studio albums but this live set is absolutely incredible - loved it from the forst moment I heard it back in the day when my older brother had long hair and used to listen to Genesis and Pink Floyd all day long with his door shut :D.

I have AB'ed the remaster and the original CDs (both UK editions) and infintely prefer the original CD edition - it sounds just like a 70s live recording (which is, afterall, exactly what it should sound like seeing as that's what it is!).
    The remaster is sterile in comparison. All the sounds are there but they don't gel into a cohesive entity like a true representation of a well recorded analogue tape should.

My advice is seek out an original pressing.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.