Genesis - Seconds Out question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Allow me to throw a little wrench into the discussion. How would Gabriel do covering some of the material from Trick, Wuthering, etc.? For instance, imagine Gabriel singing the lead vocal on One From The Vine...would be quite interesting, wouldn't it?

And there is a possible full-band reunion coming up...hmmmmm.

2. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

By me? :shh:

3. Runt

Runt Senior Member

No, no, not by you. By people who think that the White Album would have been better edited down to a single album. Much like that album, I believe the Lamb could only exist as the sprawling, somewhat imperfect yet lovable beast it ultimately became!

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

While I don't know that I would edit The Lamb down to one disc (it's a story after all) I'm usually happy just to listen to the first disc. I find some of the second disc kind of dull.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Nothing unfortunately but Trick of the Tail is my ALL TIME favourite prog album. And yes, I mean the entire genre, not only Genesis.

squittolo likes this.
  6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It's my favourite Genesis album, by far. Best acoustic guitar work Hackett/ Rutherford/Banks have ever done.

squittolo likes this.
  7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

On a purely artistic level, Selling England By The Pound is my all-time fave Genesis album. :righton:

Unfortunately, it wasn't produced as well as Trick or Wind.

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Yeah see I'm actually one of those people, that's the joke. :)
    But I certainly understand appreciating both for being the "sprawling messes." After all I love Exile on Main Street.
    Still, I do believe pretty much all non-live rock double albums could've stood to be a single.

I read that when they were writing Lamb, they intended a single album but wrote enough music for three sides. A single-oriented band would have edited all that down to one album, but Genesis, in all their prog glory, now had to come up with another album side of material. That's why the second record drags on a bit.

Selling England might have been my favorite album if not for Epping Forest. Heck, the best Genesis album IMO is disc 1 from the Platinum Collection + Watcher of the Skies and In the Cage. :)

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Disc 1? On my UK PC it's disc 3. :confused:

10. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Right... I forget that stupid box set is backwards... :sigh:

11. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Then I must have been reading your mind! :) Agreed, there are probably quite a few doubles out there that would have been better off as singles. As for Epping Forest, I'll admit it drags on a bit. Ever hear them perform it live? Believe it or not, they actually pulled it off.

12. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Oh man, I would love to have seen that.

I would kill for a classic Genesis concert DVD. The VH1 Behind the Music showed clips, so there's footage.

13. Runt

Runt Senior Member

There are some good performances of Epping Forest on various "gray area" CDs out there. When I saw them in the fall of '73, they rehearsed EF while we were waiting in the lobby to get in! But unfortunately didn't include it in the actual set list…

As for DVDs, there are some interesting "gray area" DVDs of classic Genesis live performances available, but can't vouch for the picture or sound quality.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

You must seek out the British version of Three Sides Live. Unlike the US version, which has singles and b-sides on it, the UK version has a fourth live side -- all featuring Bruford. Snag it!

15. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

No need to do that (unless you mean the LP). The 'definitive edition' THree Sides Live CD uses the British tracklist. There is no longer a 'US' and a 'UK' version of the CD.
    However the indexing is off on the DE (might have been on the original UK cd too, I don't know). It 'splits' one of the tracks in the middle for some reason. You don't hear it unless you try to start the track there.

16. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The original UK edition of _Three Sides Live_ on Virgin/Charisma beats the DE and of course, has the fourth side live. It's more difficult to locate but probably not that tough and well worth it. Unfortunately, disc # 2 doesn't sound as good as disc # 2 on the original US Atlantic version (mastered by Barry Diament), but disc # 1 sounds almost identical to the Diament.

17. Pioneer

Pioneer New Member

I think I'm detecting a pattern in your preferences .

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Blasphemy!

Personally, I can't get enough of Side 3.

Actually Side 3, along with the first 12 min or so of Side 4 just about does it for me. Prog heaven! The live versions from Europe in the spring of 1975 are the best way to listen to this, btw. Amazing!

19. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:

Achim :wave:

20. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Definitely...Anyway, The Lamia, Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats...Genesis at their very best. :righton:

21. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Amen! Blasphemers! Smite the infidels! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.