Genesis - The Album by Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Oct 15, 2018.

1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Is that the one tucked away in Apple Records’ vaults? Or Yoko Ono’s? Oh dammit, this is going to turn into a Beatles thread isn’t it.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Aaaaand there we go ;)

mark winstanley and AidanB like this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I am SO gonna get lost on this page. Thanks! :cheers:

4. Dan Loretangeli

Dan Loretangeli Forum Resident

Hackett has stated that the band was rehearsing 'Please Don't Touch' for W&W, when Phil reportedly said one day "I can't get behind that.", and 'Wot Gorilla' replaced it. Hackett has called this song 'an absolute doodle of an idea."

After all these years, I had never noticed its similarities with 'One for the Vine'. Thanks for pointing that out.

DanLore

5. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Yeah a so true and well-known fact , more details of it can be looked up on Wiki. During those times Hackett had grown increasingly frustrated by the collaborative process of Genesis which left many of his song ideas unreleased, and that episode was more than enough for him to leave the band.

EDIT:
    I just was not the first here who pointed that out ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  6. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

By the way, has anyone ever heard the Gabriel demos that he made prior to his first solo album with Phil, Mike and Ant? They leaked apparently some years ago but then disappeared, I would love to hear them.

I've heard the other Peter post Genesis piano demos that are quite easy to find but the ones with the guys would be gold dust. It's very telling he didn't ask Tony to help him out...

7. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

Great book...... thank you Paul Russell

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

This is my bible!

blackcat1980 and mark winstanley like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I may have to pick it up at some point

The MEZ likes this.
  10. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I wouldn't have thought so. I'm not sure but there might be some Beatles threads knocking about somewhere. Or maybe they just never caught on here. :p

LeBon Bush and mark winstanley like this.
  11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

As long as you guys are talking books, I have Chapter & Verse, which I really enjoy. Any other good Genesis books out there?

12. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

How are those Armando Gallo books?

13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I had both the old paperback I Know What I Like, and the hardcover done about 20 years ago, which is beautiful. I can't find either one.

Based on memory, I'd recommend IKWIL. Gallo had access to the band, was very passionate about the music, and took some excellent pictures.

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

15. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Well, it seems we have veered far from the topic of FGTR, as anticipated :D

16. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I know this is considered part of the Trespass sessions, but written by Ant in 1968 and featuring some of his vocals, it has a very FGTR vibe. Though truthfully, Pacidy and Shepherd did as well. But also very Trespass-like. Interesting transitional styles between the two.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes so I see. :( I'm not sure why people who want to discuss the best pressings of the tenth album and boast about all the rare demo recordings they own can't wait until we are actually up to discussing that album, rather than hijacking discussion about the first album.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

That's a rather nice song, though I'm not too keen on the bit where the chorus kicks in. It certainly would not sound out of place on FGTR. Having said that I can also hear bits of The Musical Box and Cinema Show.

There is more continuity between the first Genesis album and subsequent albums than many people would have you believe.

19. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i'm not that big of Prog-rock fan but...this thread seems very promising.
    'will keep close eye on it in hopes of learning lot of interesting stuffs :righton:

20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Just like a good Genesis track, we started at one point and then suddenly found ourselves left with nothing but the organ, a flute and the sounds of the mellotron at a place far away from the initial discussion... ;)

21. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Do we know anything about Peter's look at the time they played FGTR shows? Were there any extraordinary outfits already? I'd imagine not, but it could at least be possible.

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I have a book called "Genesis" by Janis Schacht, published in 1984. I'd call it a coffee-table book except that it's not hard-back. I'll probably find lots of relevant passages to quote as this thread goes on.

Here is a quote from Chapter One:
    *of 1969

This was when Ant was in the band. In other words, many of the band's early melodies had the same *cough* genesis, and Ant's legacy persisted long after he physically left.

Further on in the book it states that the autumn of 1972 was when Peter started formulating the costume effects that would become the band's trademark in concert. Apparently however he was always a very outgoing performer:
    the reason being that he had broken his ankle, which cost them three months of touring.

23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

There were no "FGTR shows". They of course played shows in the time between FGTR and Trespass (it was their live shows that got the attention of Charisma Records) but they played no shows until after Decca had already dropped them after FGTR sold only 600 or so copies, and though *some* FGTR songs were played in their earliest live shows, they didn't last very long in the set as new/better/more suitable to live performance songs were written.

FGTR came out in March 7 1969 and they never played their first paid gig until Sep 23 1969 (a birthday party IIRC), and their first "proper" professional gig on Oct 10 1969 (a full seven months after the album came out). They also had a different drummer at this point than the one who played on FGTR.

No costumes until 1972 - or to be precise: Sep 28 1972 - and to be more precise at "The National Stadium" in Dublin, Ireland - and to be even more precise he put on a fox's head and (his wife's) red dress during the instrumental section of 'The Musical Box' (the same point in the song at which he'd later put on the "old man mask" to sing the last part of the song.

24. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

... *applause rising* wow. Thank you - I'd not have expected to get such a thorough answer in such short time. I'm nothing short of amazed :cheers:

Another question (I never got round to closely examining their early live gigs, so sorry if I bug): did they 'extend' the FGTR tracks on the road to get a more 'Trespass'-like sound for them? I couldn't quite imagine they'd stick with the arrangements they never wanted in first place.

25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

NO!...no, no, no, no, no. You need to do more reading. Almost any Genesis biography will do. They all say Peter was originally a VERY uncomfortable stage performer, creating and developing his on stage persona as a character/crutch to get him out of his shell and his weird story-telling as something to do to keep the audience engaged while as many as three guitarists were tuning as many as 36 strings on stage in between songs and during equipment failures (most notably the very travel/touring-unfriendly mellotron).

Peter was described prior to that as being the same on stage as he is in interviews - a slow talker who "ums and ahs" a lot. Most of the books will also have a quote in them that said it got to the point where they were even considering having their "main roadie" in the earliest days (Richard MacPhail - who had also been the singer in a band Mike and Ant had before starting Genesis with Peter and Tony) do the stage announcements between songs - since Peter was originally so uncomfortable doing it!

Obviously he got over it...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018