Genesis- The Lamb- Fave Pressings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thommo577, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello All! I am looking at a UK Charisma pressing from 1974. Any thoughts on this one? How does this Pressing compare to the US Atco pressing? Thanks!

2. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The Porky is a good pressing but it has an annoying hum when listening. The first German pressing is "tops". Great bass pedal

LeBon Bush, Thommo577 and abzach like this.
  3. Classic records reissue sounds amazing

Coricama and audiotom like this.
  4. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Just be sure to avoid pressings with the hum and the volume issues in The Carpet Crawlers.

5. Thommo577

Thank You!

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I like the Classic pretty well, but I'd love to hear a German original as some reports indicate it's better than the UK.

7. Thommo577

Which ones?

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  8. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

My pressing of this is VERY noisy! Hit and miss with Classic records and i would not pay big dollars for this IMO.

9. Thommo577

Any other 1st German pressings recommended for Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme? Thanks!

10. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Have you heard the reissues of the Gabriel albums?

11. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The first UK and US are both Porky/Pecko cuts so they should sound the same.
    I have a near mint US copy which I'm very pleased with.

The UK version has card inner sleeves which makes finding a mint copy a bit of a challenge.
    The US version has paper sleeves which tends to be a little kinder to the vinyl.

jon9091 likes this.
  12. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I'm mot sure, some UK pressings and later re-issues.

13. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

I have a Scandinavian pressing of The Lamb cut by Ivar Finsen. To me it sounds really good and punchy. I don't know if it has "the hum", because my hearing is too shot to notice. Ha ha.

Geordie777 and dee like this.
  14. Thommo577

Yes, I purchased a German reissue of Foxtrot and a small Mad Hatter US pressing of Nursery Cryme- They are really noisy, ugh!

15. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The UKs beat the Germans in this cas, imo. Charisma pressings are usually very noisy. It's really tough to find minty ones.
    I'd rather fork out big dollars for a Nursery Cryme Uk pink scroll or a Porky Foxtrot rather than buying the Classics. My two cents

Metalrob likes this.
  16. Thommo577

How about a minty UK Nursery Cryme small Mad Hatter for $20?
    OR an original German Phillips NM for $31? Description - "Vinyl like new, cover slightly kicked at the edges, vinyl professionally cleaned, plays without any disturbing noises"

Thanks, Moonchild!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  17. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

If the Uk honours description, I'd go for it! Ask the seller for ticks or pops on quiet passages before purchase

ParloFax likes this.
  18. Thommo577

This was his respinse ..cryptic
    plays no skips all lp's have some pops
    Huh?:-[

19. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

Stay away. Buy from reputable sellers and opportunity will knock. Just be patient

ParloFax likes this.
  20. Must avoid then!

21. G E

G E Senior Member

They don't sound the same.

I have a US porky bought the first week Lamb came out. Several months ago I procured the original porky U.K. Lamb.

UK Lamb Porky is much more alive sounding than the US. It sounds closer to the Classic Records release which I also have. ( and also Japanese sacd and original CD. Can you tell I like this music?)

The US Lamb Porky is warmer and more buttery sounding but less resolving than U.K. And Classic. I like it better but it's a matter of personal taste.

The early pressings of these records have a hum that runs throughout. On the US Lamb Porky I don't notice it.

But on the UK Lamb Porky it stands out On some songs it felt intrusive. Others not so. I no longer have the UK pressing. I sent it back because of noise throughout all four sides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.