George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

HMV Sold Out now. Amazon Prime now gone too. £350 far too much for me, and others I suspect.

2. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

There was no Amazon Prime special price. When it shows Prime it just means that Prime members get next day delivery at no extra charge. When it was showing at £199 anybody could buy it at that price. (Prime is currently £79/year).

3. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

In this case, that is wrong. There was no option button to buy it at £199 unless a Prime Member. There was one copy left - I tried to buy it and it would not let me. It has now gone up to £359.

4. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Almost broke my back carrying this box home from the post office - it's super heavy! Too exhausted to spin the records right now :) but it looks fantastic...

John Bliss and chacha like this.
  5. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Ok, my Brainwashed is slightly warped but the sound on this is very good.

6. Daveymoore

Yes you were correct, it is back again this morning at £199 but
    "Only 1 left in stock.
    Dispatched and sold by Amazon in certified Frustration-Free Packaging exclusively for Prime members. "

I have never seen a special price for Prime members before. I'm still resisting the temptation to buy.

John Bliss likes this.
  7. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

"The Warped Vinyl Collection" would be the proper title - so far only ATMP has been perfectly flat. Just talked to Amazon UK, they want me to return the whole bloody thing!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Shiver likes this.
  8. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Seems like a bit of a marketing ploy to sign up new people. This box set has seen a price range from £289 to £410 from Amazon since it was released. Too much for me, as I probably wouldn’t play a couple of the albums, but I’d probably bite at £229 without the subscription.

John Bliss likes this.
  9. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Okay....So, I know I'm not the only one who's ever voiced this concern. But-and I mean this CONSTRUCTIVELY-shouldn't there be a running thread EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to Amazon issues and the like? So many threads in this forum tend to get unnecessarily clogged up with "Amazon this and Amazon that", to a point where they begin to OUTNUMBER any posts having to do with the actual topic at hand. No to mention, that's usually what causes many threads to run DEEP into the triple digits! No offense intended. But it might be something to consider for the future.

Blue Cactus and Electric Sydney like this.
  10. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Start it up V Dude!

11. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Okay...At the risk of appearing to have my foot in my mouth: I don't really have experience in purchasing anything through Amazon, as I largely prefer to go to my local brick & mortar shop for vinyl. So it wouldn't be up to me to start a related thread. I was merely suggesting that those who ARE experienced in buying vinyl through Amazon should start THEIR own exclusive thread on the matter, rather than glutting up other threads with their posts.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Electric Sydney likes this.
  12. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Like any thread, it will tend to morph into other subjects, albeit with some kind of connection to the initial subject matter. So whilst some of the comments here, from what I have read, include discussions on Amazon, they are somewhat relevant to anyone who is considering buying this box set, whether that be pricing, delivery or problems. I’m not sure how a separate "All Amazon" thread would work if members are only interested in certain artists, but maybe I have misunderstood your thoughts.

Daveymoore and John Bliss like this.
  13. pettyyttep

pettyyttep Well-Known Member

Im shocked!
    I managed to order the boxset from Amazon.co.uk with that prime-deal (£199), I today received the item, but unfornately it was damaged.
    For some really strange reason, the boxset didn't have the extra packaging provided by the factory (the original outer protective cardboard packaging).
    The boxset had only the slipcase sort of cardbox in it and guess what it ended just being severely damaged. The top of the box was almost loose.
    I have received all the other sets from Amazon's or any other store in original packaging but for this one, someone messed up and badly.
    The boxset was completely destroyed, all the vinyl inside looked ok but almost all of them had seamsplits at the up end of the albums.
    I spent almost hour talking to Amazon customer-service chat, they would only allow some discount to the price, so I had to send it back and get full refund instead.

Electric Sydney and Harmonator like this.
  14. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

I had exactly the same issue. Set arrived in really bad shape. No outer cardboard band and no secure packaging. Looked very tatty - worse than second hand!

Returned it free of charge and Amazon sent me a replacement which arrived yesterday. Perfect in every way. Properly packaged this time with foam inserts etc to keep it cushioned and protected. Very happy with it.

Can't help but think the price drop was to shift some damaged stock

15. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

What country/countries are y'all in? I'm in the US and mine arrived from the U.K. in perfect condition fortunately.

16. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

UK

17. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Nothing personal towards the Harrison estate but someone else clearly needs to be in charge of George's material other than Olivia or Dhani who have made more than a few clueless decisions regarding what the fans really want.

18. pettyyttep

I think it was clearly a mistake on my case, someone just sent either already damaged item, but they sent it without proper packaging causing further damage, I will never know the facts around this.
    Never happened before with Amazon or any other store that I have ordered from. Have to say, that receiving this high priced set on non-secure packaging and torn a part (destroyed) was shock for me.
    Then when I was chatting and talking with AmazonUK (last thursday) they didn't have any item of this in stock, so I just couldn't ask for replacement.
    So, anyways, I sent it back in such same non-secure packaging and already got full refund and postage back. There's possibility that if this comes down the price again (or if I happen to find any other great deal from some other store) I might order it again. But even if I was long time happy customer of Amazon, this has unfornately got very sour taste in my mouth.
    I might take down the route of supporting some other store as I happen to have contacts and discout-sources, I already know some other store selling this set on almost the same price.
    Not sure if I bite the deal yet, since Im pretty covered with George Harrison-albums, got all of them on cd (not all on vinyl though), so have to think about this still.

Imagine70 and John Bliss like this.
  19. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

I’m onto my second box from Amazon. Still getting slightly warped records, maybe I will return both boxes and give up on this release...

Going through the records in box nr. 2 and some are worse than the records in the first box.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  20. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

But the 12´single picture discs are perfect :D

21. pettyyttep

How did it end for you? Were you able to combine good set from all those? It's pain in the (you know what) when ordering vinyl from overseas due to errors and warps.
    I haven't yet reordered this set from Amazon or any other place and most likely Im gonna wait for some nice discount-price.
    Maybe on Black Friday or closer to Christmas time there might be some, in the waiting time I can surely listen GH-albums from my current pressings.

22. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

which pressing would you recommend?

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I would probably say the first U.K. press...

pinkrudy likes this.
  24. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Second box was better on some titles - and more warped (and scratched) on others. Not 100% flat copies now but I give up...

25. Daveymoore

Just in case anybody is interested the box is 249 euro on Amazon.it today. US buyers get the VAT discounted from this price.

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.