George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgroove01, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meandafoe

meandafoe Forum Resident

£205.99 on amazon.co.uk now

Bought 2/3 of this boxset already one after one and only a lavish big-format book would make me purchase it now. Shame nothing like that is included in this set.

2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great price.

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m so tempted at that price.

4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I just took advantage of the Amazon UK offer for this box seeing as the individual albums that I would have bought do not seem to be coming down much in price. I am sorry I have not read through this thread but are the records well done? Sound and packaging? I know the music well enough having the old albums and various cd editions including the 2 cd box sets. I would have got the box originally at this sort of price but the £300 plus cost it seemed to be sold at was all too much (apologies).

5. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

Many of the individual titles are going cheap over on Amazon UK. Just bagged Material World and George Harrison.

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I told my myself I wouldn’t buy this box, as I sprung for the expensive Genesis book, but couldn’t resist at the Amazon UK price after VAT deduction.

Now, just hoping I get a nice copy unscathed in the original shipping box. . .

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Holy crap - for US buyers they deduct VAT and charge you a little over 3£ shipping. Total price= $243

chacha likes this.
  8. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I've had this box in my wishlist on Amazon for quite some time now - last week saw that there was an "acceptable quality" box from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $163. The description noted that the set wasn't it it's original case, damage to cover etc. Got it today - the outer portion of the box (with the picture of George) is trashed (held together with packaging tape) but the rest of the set is in perfect condition - ATMP and the box with the picture discs are sealed, all the other LPs are still in their resealable sleeves and look unplayed and without any flaws. Pretty good deal for $163!

9. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I have to chime in. I purchased this set a little bit after the release (against my better judgment as I had all of the original US albums and a few of the UK albums). I was dead set against not buying it as it was not AAA. I have finally opened the box due to George's bday coming up and began spinning the records. They are all EXTREMELY quiet and sound really really good. I have the high res files (and the CD boxes) and I have to say I prefer the fidelity on the records. The packaging and the box are first-rate. If you don't have any George, I recommend getting this box if you want all of the records. Sonically there are some issues but again, on the whole, for someone wanting them all this is the way to go.

10. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

Got the vinyl box back in January, when it was selling for $244 at Amazon UK. Box and sleeves are first class, as good as The Beatles' Mono Vinyl Box. All the albums are quiet and centered. Excellent SQ.

It is available at Amazon US for $275.45: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9RLCL0/

DK Pete likes this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Keep an eye on discogs as people sometimes sell the box only for real cheap on these kind of sets. Some people split them. You’ll have to be lucky with this set but worth keeping an eye on. Whatever, it seems you got a decent deal.

chacha likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I bought them all separately as i couldn't afford another box set right now. Agreed; beautifully done vinyl, gorgeous packaging reproduction-and then some.

13. Vinylsoul 1965

oops - double negative! What I MEANT to say was, I was dead set against BUYING the set. I didn't want it and thought it was too expensive for what it was (and because it was missing so many extras). Again the quality of the set is just fab and I do recommend it.

14. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I know that the mastering blurb is rather ‘mysterious’ with its “sourced for vinyl from the original analogue tapes”, but are we really sure these remasters aren’t in fact AAA? The reasons I say this are:
    1) ATMP here sounds too good to be digital. Certainly unlike any digital version I’ve ever heard...
    2) I’ve compared the 2017 33 & 1/3 with a pressing I have from the 80s. They sound very similar (though the new one is better).
    3) Extra Texture in this set sounds veiled and a little disappointing to my ears - the outstanding 2014 Remaster (in Hi-Res) beats it hands down. They certainly don’t sound they same source.

15. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Fremer confirmed it; they’re digital.

George Harrison Sixteen LP Box Set Readied by UMe and Harrison Estate

16. mrjinks

Really? Have you guys looked closely at the jackets on these reissues?
    [​IMG]
    This one is so washed out, you can barely read the album title on the reissue. Many others have pretty noticeable color differences, too. If people like the audio, great, but the album covers don’t have anywhere near the attention to detail of the Beatles Mono box...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's actually the first tome I've seen SIG (I bought them only up to and including the self titled album)...and I agree..it looks horrible. The others are of MUCH higher quality; i don't know what happened with this one. This reminds me of the Elton John re-issues...for the most part, the cover art looks great except for that of Caribou which is dark and grainy.

blutiga likes this.
  18. mrjinks

That’s not the only one. I posted detailed comparisons last year when the box was released. Most of the reissues are overexposed compared to the originals. Look at the colors on Dark Horse:
    George Harrison 2017 vinyl box discussion
    Look at the colors on Electronic Sound. Why is the blue window at left (original) now purple on the reissue? Why is the green background with the upside down swami now yellowish instead?
    [​IMG]
    There are plenty of other examples, too. Look how overexposed the back cover of Cloud Nine is (middle copy):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  19. 40-50 years later different printing inks papers. Yeah some are different but they all sound pretty great.

20. Vinylsoul 1965

Yes this one is the stinker in the box. All the other ones look pretty good. I was surprised to find it had such a washed out look.

21. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The middle one looks the best to me. They got rid of the ugly barcode.

Wuther likes this.
  22. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Does anyone have a scan they can share of the credit sheet that came in the box with the picture discs? I seem to have lost mine and would love to make another copy.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

The jacket covers in the Beatles stereo vinyl box look awful too.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Is there a difference in quality between the boxed ones and the individuals?? Because unless there's something I'm overlooking, mine look great. Even though I now have all individual EU copies, I remember thinking even with the U.S. Rainbo pressings how great it would have been if the quality of the pressings matched that of the covers.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No difference. Equally washed out looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.