George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for the update! The inclusion of Bangladesh will ease a lot of minds here :)

Few more ATMP questions (if you have more detailed info):

- has the 2-CD tracklist been re-worked to retain the original running order of the album?
    - do the bonus demo tracks retain the 2000 overdubs?
    - any chance the previously released Isn't It A Pity demo (iTunes exclusive) be added to the album?

slane likes this.
  2. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Will there be a Japanese edition w OBI's? Hi-res download? :goodie:

If not, I'm not buying. HUGE missed opportunity. :pineapple:

3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Shame about Soundstage Of Mind. It has some nice chunky guitar work on it... like a heavier Hari's on Tour (Express)

PhoffiFozz, blutiga, Tord and 2 others like this.
  4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Looks like I have to return the pitchfork to Lowes. :)

theMess, She is anyway and supermd like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As long as you have the receipt, you should be fine. :)

theMess and She is anyway like this.
  6. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Aww... I wanted to hear a studio Soundstage of Mind so much...

theMess likes this.
  7. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

In one of the boots I heard...George claimed to have made it up with the band right before that nights concert. Judging by this comment I doubt there is a studio version...but I could be wrong.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

o_O
    Before I do, care to make any predictions regarding the Mono Box, McCartney Archive releases or the Icon discs?:)

theMess likes this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nothing for the Mono Box or Icon discs. McCartney Archive releases, on the other hand, have plenty of predictions by me, but I dare not make any on this thread. Please see the McCartney Archive threads for potential pitchfork-needing predictions by me. :)

theMess likes this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

I was actually looking forward to that unexpected Ronnie Spector 'You' too. Oh well, some day maybe...

11. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

This would have been a great addition to Extra Texture. We can only hope that the reason for its exclusion is that Apple are preparing to release all the Ronnie Spector stuff they have as a separate album. Heck, I'd even be happy with a digital ep of the stuff but please get it out somehow!

12. crossroads69

With the Apple Years and the Dark Horse Years catalogs now reissued individually and in box sets, the next project for the Harrison estate is likely to be something unreleased like an "Anthology" type set or the continuation of the Early Takes/Bootleg type series. So being stingy with bonus tracks here is probably a well-thought business decision of saving material for future releases (and hopefully we'll see them sooner than later with Universal taking over).

Other potential projects could be reissue of Bangladesh Concert on Bluray (with original mixes restored on CD, some more video outtakes) and a deluxe box set for ATMP covering all the session material in detail as well as a possible new remix.

13. Cold_Cut

Cold_Cut New Member

So amazon List 6 single CDs without Bangladesh Concert CD maybe only in the Box .

14. Is there a link to preorder this? I can't find it on Amazon.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No official announcement yet. And no Amazon links yet.

Spin CDs is one of the few sites with pre-ordering info--but the exact track details are lacking: http://www.spincds.com/the-apple-years-7cd-dvd-box-set

Arnie

16. crossroads69

I was just looking up Ringo's Apple albums on Amazon and most of them haven't been reissued in a long time (perhaps had only 1 CD reissue).

Sentimental Journey - 1995
    Beaucoups of Blues - 1995
    Ringo - 1991
    Goodnight Vienna - 1999

So there's definitely a case for freshening up these titles with new remastering, throwing in some new bonus tracks and adding new packaging/book for his "Apple Years" box. A 5CD + DVD (any promo videos, old/new interviews on making of these albums) could sell enough to justify the project.

17. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I would add 'Blast From Your Past' which was also an Apple album since it contains some of the orphaned singles ('Back Off Boogaloo', 'It Don't Come Easy' etc.). This would free up space for other unique, and perhaps unheard, bonus tracks on the new cd's of the four main albums.

theMess, Dee Zee and She is anyway like this.
  18. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It might take a little stretching, but there is a good Ronnie Spector Apple album to made, at least one that all Apple/George/Ronnie fans would want.

You
    Try Some Buy Some
    Tandoori Chicken
    Lovely La-de-day
    I Loved Him Like I Loved My Very Life
    You (backing track)
    Tandoori Chicken (sung by Phil Spector)
    I Still Love You (likely tried out with Ronnie)
    selections from the Harri-Spector show acetate (a 27 minute acetate of George and Phil playing oldies and mostly Phil taking the vocals, with Ronnie occasionally audible. Fun stuff!)

19. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Totally agree, Ringo needs an Apple box too.

theMess and jordanlolss like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I would say there is a very good chance that Ringo will be next in line for a Complete Apple Box. Ringo will be 75 years old (!!) next year in 2015, so what better way to celebrate his birthday in July. Plus, the whole box is so easy to put together. Four albums, a bunch of singles and B-sides, and whatever rare bonus stuff that they want to throw us. Very simple.

Arnie

theMess, Dee Zee and She is anyway like this.
  21. crossroads69

Assuming this happens and Paul reissues Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway next summer, we will finally have all the solo Beatle albums from Apple Years newly remastered by the same team at Abbey Road. The sonic consistency would go long way in making our own Apple Years playlists sound better :)

supermd, blutiga, theMess and 2 others like this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

While I know others will disagree, much of what was done after Ringo's Apple years doesn't merit a box set, other than for those that must have everything. Solo Ringo is my least favorite listen, but the Apple albums are the best of the bunch and would merit a box set remaster.
    Beaucoups of Blues is probably my favorite Ringo album.
    Sentimental Journey isn't great, but certainly a better box set inclusion than George's Electronic Sound.
    Ringo, of course is a very good album.
    And Goodnight Vienna is a fair album.
    Let's hope they do a better job than they did on the last deluxe Ringo greatest hits CD/DVD. Some of the videos in that issue were the quality of lousy VHS bootlegs.

theMess and jordanlolss like this.
  23. crossroads69

Since 2009, over 30 albums from the original Apple Records discography (between 1968 and 1975) have been newly remastered and repackaged by the company (as many as 28 albums were reissued within 12-13 month period!). Add another 6 albums in the upcoming George box and the label has seen a revival of sorts.

Strangely none of Ringo's or Yoko's albums have been worked on as yet........

24. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Amazon UK listing says that is seven discs, not nine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.