George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Well, the video was brilliant.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Video again, just incase anybody missed it due to the walls of press releases/info..

3. DeYoung

DeYoung Forum Resident

Why are they so skimpy with George's stuff?

Carserguev likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That is how the Platinum Weird version was done. Recorded in the 1990s by George and Dave Stewart. Then, the song had overdubs added in 2002 or so (including Ringo and Dhani; Kara DioGuardi was Dave's partner in the Platinum Weird thingy). And finally released (digitally-only) in 2006.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  5. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I am very worried about this release when the supposedly painstakingly researched liner notes (and assuming the "Announcement" info is taken from the CD Box booklet) can't even get their historical facts straight!
    I quote them for "Extra Texture":
    "In late 1974, George returned to California to record his next album, the soul-tinged Extra Texture (Read All About It)".
    Excuse me if I am wrong but wasn't George in the midst of a US tour in late 1974 with a bad voice and had just finished and released his "Dark Horse" LP???? In fact he did not return to L.A. until April 1975 to record "Extra Texture". Yeah sure they only got it wrong by 4 or 5 months but the time they are now telling everyone is well documented to have been during his US tour. Sad thing is that in 50 years time how many books will have been written using his information as gospel because it came from such a creditable source? How many more mistakes will be in the booklet? Poor effort.. very very poor.

6. Arnold Grove

Because he was the Quiet Beatle. ;) Arnie

theMess likes this.
  7. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I guess "Squalls of cavernous sound" was the press-friendly way of saying gastric noises.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The wording here is a little confusing. Is this going to be a new remix, or does the Best Of George Harrison have the remix? I mean, I'm going with the former, because the song never sounded good mix wise, but I'm bringing it up anyway.

She is anyway likes this.
  9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Not sure what's going on with the individual album packaging. They're all gatefolds and open up like them but there's a card of the cover sitting loose and what appears to be a slipcase that houses the discs. All rather (platinum) weird!

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

There'll be other releases after this boxset. It's just that it would be insane to put out unreleased music from George when four of his albums haven't been released for decades.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  11. Cold_Cut

Cold_Cut New Member

Wonderwall - 1968
    20 page booklet
    Remastered stereo
    Introduction by Nitin Sawney
    Background piece
    Bonus tracks – »In the first place« by the Remo Four, »The Inner Light« and »Almost Shankara«
    Digi pack design based on the Beatles remasters format

Electronic Sound - 1969
    20 page booklet
    Remastered stereo
    Introduction by Chemical Bros
    Background piece
    No bonus tracks

All Thing Must Pass - 1970
    20 page booklet
    An upgraded version of the standard 2001 package Remastered stereo – 2 discs The 4 Bonus tracks in 2001 package will be included – »I Live for You«, »Beware of Darkness«, »Let It Down« and »What is Life« Introduction in George’s words

Living In The Material World - 1973
    20 page booklet
    An upgraded version of the existing content standard 2001 package All bonus tracks are from the 2006 package – »Deep Blue« and »Miss O’Dell«
    Background piece from Kevin Howlett from 2006 Remastered stereo – Single disc ? – will there be a DVD Digi pack design based on the Beatles remasters format

Dark Horse - 1974
    20 page booklet inc Matt piece
    Remastered stereo – single disc
    Background piece
    Bonus tracks – »Sound stage of mind«, »Dark Horse« demo and »I Don’t Care Anymore« (perhaps 2 versions, 1 being the B side to the Dark Horse '45'

Extra Texture - 1975
    20 page booklet
    Remastered stereo – single disc
    Background piece
    Bonus tracks – »This guitar can’t keep from crying«, »Can’t stop thinking about you« and »You« (Ronnie Spector version)

12. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

The Boxset Tracklisting (https://store.digitalstores.co.uk/georgeharrison/*/*/The-Apple-Years/3HD60000000):

Wonderwall Music
    1. Microbes
    2. Red Lady Too
    3. Tabla And Pakavaj
    4. In The Park
    5. Drilling A Home
    6. Guru Vandana
    7. Greasy Legs
    8. Ski-ing
    9. Gat Kirwani
    10. Dream Scene
    11. Party Seacombe
    12. Love Scene
    13. Crying
    14. Cowboy Music
    15. Fantasy Sequins
    16. On The Bed
    17. Glass Box
    18. Wonderwall To Be Here
    19. Singing Om
    20. In The First Place (by The Remo Four) – bonus track
    21. Almost Shankara – bonus track
    22. The Inner Light – bonus track

Electronic Sound
    1. Under The Mersey Wall
    2. No Time Or Space

All Things Must Pass

CD 1
    1. I'd Have You Anytime
    2. My Sweet Lord
    3. Wah-Wah
    4. Isn't It A Pity
    5. What Is Life
    6. If Not for You
    7. Behind That Locked Door
    8. Let It Down
    9. Run Of The Mill
    10. I Live For You - bonus track
    11. Beware Of Darkness - bonus track
    12. Let It Down - bonus track
    13. What Is Life - bonus track
    14. My Sweet Lord (2000) - bonus track

CD 2
    1. Beware of Darkness
    2. Apple Scruffs
    3. Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
    4. Awaiting On You All
    5. All Things Must Pass
    6. I Dig Love
    7. Art Of Dying
    8. Isn't It A Pity (Version Two)
    9. Hear Me Lord
    10. It's Johnny's Birthday
    11. Plug Me In
    12. I Remember Jeep
    13. Thanks For The Pepperoni
    14. Out Of The Blue

Living in the Material World
    1. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
    2. Sue Me, Sue You Blues
    3. The Light That Has Lighted The World
    4. Don't Let Me Wait Too Long
    5. Who Can See It
    6. Living In The Material World
    7. The Lord Loves The One (That Loves The Lord)
    8. Be Here Now
    9. Try Some Buy Some
    10. The Day The World Gets 'round
    11. That Is All
    12. Deep Blue - bonus track
    13. Miss O'Dell - bonus track
    14. Bangla Desh – bonus track

Dark Horse
    1. Hari's On Tour (Express)
    2. Simply Shady
    3. So Sad
    4. Bye Bye Love
    5. Maya Love
    6. Ding Dong, Ding Dong
    7. Dark Horse
    8. Far East Man
    9. It Is 'He' (Jai Sri Krishna)
    10. I Don’t Care Anymore – bonus track
    11. Dark Horse – bonus track

Extra Texture (Read All About It)
    1. You
    2. The Answer's At The End
    3. This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)
    4. Ooh Baby (You Know That I Love You)
    5. World Of Stone
    6. A Bit More Of You
    7. Can't Stop Thinking About You
    8. Tired Of Midnight Blue
    9. Grey Cloudy Lies
    10. His Name Is Legs (Ladies And Gentleman)
    11. This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying) [Platinum Weird version] – Bonus track

13. Arnold Grove

On the DVD, the last feature says:

• Dark Horse (original promotional clip, 1974) [:30]
    Created by Capitol Records

I guess this was just a commercial for TV or something since it is only 30 seconds long and was created by Capitol Records.

It is not some long-rumored full promo clip of the whole song "Dark Horse".

Arnie

theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  14. Arnold Grove

THIS INFO IS WRONG!! This was an old list as it has rumored bonus material (highlighted in RED) that is NOT part of the new set. Please ignore this! Arnie

mrjinks, theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  15. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Yes, another disappointment.

16. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Since it's a "feature", I hope they do a limited run in theaters with this! I want to sit down with an ounce or two of :-popcorn: and really savor it all!

somebodywhocares and theMess like this.
  17. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Only 30 seconds? My god thats embarassing for them imo

18. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

I'm trying to recall, maybe it was a Best Buy bonus or something?. You're right, it wasn't included with the 2001 remaster, I was confused with Brainwashed :)

19. Arnold Grove

This list is all correct. Use this one. Arnie

theMess likes this.
  20. Cold_Cut

Cold_Cut New Member

Wonderwall Music“The album was a film soundtrack but as a standalone vision it embraces a glorious multiverse of sonorous vignettes like nothing I’ve ever heard. It speaks of a fearless heart.” – Nitin Sawney

Released in November 1968, George Harrison’s Wonderwall Music was the first solo album released by a member of The Beatles and the first LP to be released by Apple Records. The soundtrack music for director Joe Massot’s debut feature-length film, Wonderwall, the predominantly instrumental album is an intricate, vibrant tapestry of Western rock music and compositions in an Indian classical style. In 1992, George recalled, “I decided to do it as a mini-anthology of Indian music, because I wanted to help turn the public on to Indian music.” Three bonus tracks have been added to the remastered album: “In The First Place” by Liverpool group The Remo Four, who played the rock elements of the recording sessions, a previously unreleased alternate take of “The Inner Light,” and the previously unreleased “Almost Shankara,” a raga that was not used in the film or for the soundtrack LP. The booklet also includes a new essay of appreciation by the acclaimed musician, producer and composer Nitin Sawney and newly written historical notes by Kevin Howlett.

Electronic Sound“Squalls of cavernous sound, white noise explosions, beautiful delicate patterns, the sound was wild and fluid and bore no relation to George’s other work.” - Tom Rowlands (The Chemical Brothers)

As a direct result of The Beatles’ keen curiosity about experimental music and other avant-garde artistic expression, Apple Records launched its short-lived Zapple subsidiary in February 1969 as a forum for unfettered sonic exploration, or, as announced at the time, “more freaky sounds.” George’s Electronic Sound and John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Unfinished Music No. 2: Life With The Lions, both released in May 1969, were Zapple’s only releases before it was closed down. Electronic Sound’s cover art, painted by George, depicts his Moog IIIP (which was later used on four tracks by The Beatles on their album Abbey Road) with the four modules from which the sound was synthesized.Each side of the Electronic Sound LP featured one exploratory long-form work. However, the American version of the album placed the pieces on opposite sides to the UK record, but with the same titles retained on the labels. Consequently, there has been confusion about which track is which. Research for the out-of-print album’s new release revealed that the UK LP was correct with “Under The Mersey Wall” on Side 1 and “No Time Or Space” on Side 2. The CD booklet includes new essays by The Chemical Brothers’ Tom Rowlands and Dhani Harrison, as well as newly written historical notes by Kevin Howlett.

All Things Must Pass“It is both an intensely personal statement and a grandiose gesture, a triumph over artistic modesty, even frustration. In this extravaganza of piety and sacrifice and joy the music itself is no longer the only message.” – Ben Gerson (excerpt, 1971 Rolling Stone review)

All Things Must Pass was released by Apple Records in November 1970. Co-produced by Harrison and Phil Spector, many musicians contributed to the album, including Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Billy Preston, Pete Drake, Gary Wright, Klaus Voormann, members of Badfinger, players from Delaney and Bonnie band, and John Barham. The triple-LP topped charts around the world and earned universal acclaim as a rock masterpiece. George became the first Beatle to have a solo number one single in both the UK and America with the album’s lead single, “My Sweet Lord,” which introduced his signature slide guitar playing. George co-wrote the album’s opening track, “I’d Have You Anytime” with his friend Bob Dylan, who also wrote another song on the landmark album, “If Not For You.” The new package includes the five additional tracks added to the album’s 2001 reissue: “I Live For You” (outtake), “Beware Of Darkness” (demo), “Let It Down” (alternative version), “What Is Life” (backing track), and “My Sweet Lord (2000).”

Living In The Material World“What we need isn’t material, it’s spiritual. We need some other form of peace and happiness.” – George Harrison (1967)

In May 1973 came the release of George’s second studio album of new songs, Living In The Material World. He was joined in the studio by several musician friends who had also played on All Things Must Pass and others like Jim Keltner, with whom he had worked during The Concert for Bangladesh concerts in 1971. The album and its lead single, “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)” both reached number one in America and on charts around the world. The spiritual nature of Living In The Material World, described by Rolling Stone as “miraculous in its radiance,” is also reflected in the inclusion of an illustration from the Bhagavad-Gita in the artwork. The new release adds a remix of the single version of “Bangla Desh,” which has previously been available only on The Best Of George Harrison (1976), as well as two B-sides included on the album’s 2006 reissue, “Deep Blue” and “Miss O’Dell.”

Dark Horse“To write a song is, to me, more a case of being the vehicle to get over that feeling of that moment, of that time.” - George Harrison

Released in December 1974, Dark Horse capped a prolific year for George, during which he had established his own Dark Horse record label, built a recording studio in his Friar Park home in England, and completed an ambitious tour of North America. Throughout the year, Harrison produced albums for several artists while also recording his own. The songs on the LP document both George’s fallibility, in “Simply Shady,” and his spirituality, in “It Is ‘He’ (Jai Sri Krishna).” Dark Horse reached the top five in America, sounding a high note at the end of Harrison’s rather frenetic year. The new release adds “I Don’t Care Anymore,” a sought after B-side making its CD debut, and a previously unreleased early, acoustic take of “Dark Horse.” The CD booklet includes newly written historical notes by Kevin Howlett.

Extra Texture (Read All About It)“The songs on Extra Texture are as introspective as any of George’s albums. The first track is what he would call a pop song and the last song is an eccentric homage to Bonzo Dog “Legs” Larry Smith. But in between are tracks with strong melodies and thought-provoking lyrics. They are moody and personal and some of my favourites.” – Olivia Harrison

In late 1974, George returned to California to record his next album, the soul-tinged Extra Texture (Read All About It), his final album to be released through Apple Records. Leon Russell played piano on “Tired Of Midnight Blue,” and for some of the sessions, Harrison was joined by guitarist Jesse Ed Davis, plus Jim Keltner, Paul Stallworth, and David Foster from new band Attitudes, who were later signed by George’s newly formed Dark Horse label. Two of the LP’s songs date from 1974 sessions for Dark Horse at George’s home studio:the soulful love song “Can’t Stop Thinking About You” and the backing track of “His Name Is ‘Legs’ (Ladies & Gentlemen).” The new release adds “This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying),” a song Harrison rerecorded in 1992 as a demo for Dave Stewart, who plays electric guitar on it. More than ten years later, the track received overdubs by Ringo Starr on drums, Dhani Harrison on guitar, and vocalist Kara DioGuardi. The CD booklet includes newly written historical notes by Kevin Howlett.

theMess likes this.
  21. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

For me, the only thing on the DVD that's worthwhile is the promo clip for Ding Dong, Ding Dong. The three second grab of it at the 0.42 mark of the release video above looks pretty good. I think I'll have to wait for a generous soul to upload it to You Tube though.

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Why the hell did they stick the ATMP bonus tracks in the middle of the album again????

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

24. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Who knows?!! Clearly they avant garde a clue!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  25. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Put it all on the Harrison website with the ability to purchase via hi-res downloads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.