George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Whatever.

Jack likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Ya see, you chintz on the bonus tracks and people get testy and turn on each other. Over in "Basement Tapes" land happiness abounds. :)

3. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

My only complaint about the 2010 hi-res is that the high end seems a bit boosted and harsh to my ears compared with most of the other versions I own on vinyl & CD. I have to turn down the treble quite a bit to listen to it. A minor complaint really.

theMess likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great avatar!! :D

George isn't turning anything down in that photo. Charm on full blast. ;)

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I think some might say the sound of the 2010 mastering is not to their liking, but that's likely because they don't like the Spector reverb and echo out the wazoo sound of the album and the master tape. Unfortunately there's nothing digital out there that's better - including Ebbetts - if we're talking vinyl, original UK pressings might sound better.

theMess, Naughty Chord and supermd like this.
  6. Naughty Chord

I think someone somewhere once said he might have been a ladies man. :shh:

theMess and supermd like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What did Paul say? "Red-blooded man"? Yep.

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Would somebody please explain to me in dumbed down terms for this non-musician, non-engineer who still listens to CDs what sounds so bad about the 2001 ATMP? It sounds good to my untrained ear. I'm not trying to keep any argument going; I'm asking because I really don't know. And I'm not referring to the bonus tracks being stuck in the middle. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

freddiebell likes this.
  9. Careful... listening to what folks say around here might have you hating your entire music collection. A collection you loved until you were told otherwise. :tiphat:

Millington, Jae, Pawnmower and 12 others like this.
  10. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Or you could just download 'Bangla Desh' on its own for spare change.

theMess and JimC like this.
  11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Many thanks for taking the time to clear that up.

I look forward to earing the "early acoustic take" that is a bonus track.

Arnie

theMess likes this.
  13. Naughty Chord

I think the complaint is excessive compression and noise reduction.

A few relevant threads...

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/opinions-on-all-things-must-pass-cd-versions.55294/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ster-vs-original-the-lesser-of-2-evils.25255/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/george-harrison-all-things-must-pass-30th-anniversary.92870/

EDIT: removed quote that I misread as referring to 2001 mastering & added additional links

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  14. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

EVERYONE TO THE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

theMess and JimC like this.
  15. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

I don't know if this has already been mentioned or not, but samples on iTunes are never at the same quality as the finished download.
    You have to remember that the samples are streamed at a lower bit rate directly from iTunes' servers.
    So comparing the samples to a high quality lossless file is not fair/accurate.

theMess likes this.
  16. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Well, I don't know if it makes THAT big a difference, but -

In what format, and at what bitrate are the streams from the Apple store, anyway?

Anybody know, off-hand?

17. Sometimes it feels like this.....

[​IMG]

Jimi Bat, Jae, GetHappy!! and 10 others like this.
  18. Naughty Chord

The shirt should say, "I loved Dark Horse and Extra Texture until I learned they sucked on SH.tv".

theMess and Mazzy like this.
  19. ok ok

Maybe I should sell these....

[​IMG]

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Ha... until the mastering is considered "too hot" or the stereo image too wide or narrowed more than b00t versions. ;) Should be a GREAT set and I'm looking forward to it. Ron

theMess and Carserguev like this.
  21. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I think it's all relative and depends on what you have to compare it with. Bottom line is if you like it, that's all that matters.I remember running out and buying it in 2001 the day it came out. It was my favorite album as a kid, but I never owned it on CD. I remember having a vague sense of not liking it, which I would call fatigue now from compression and lack of dynamic range, but I never thought about those things then. Still, I listened to it until the 2010 came out (my first hi-res purchase, which I happily listened to downsampled to CD for a year before I had hi res playback capabili)m And I still keep the extra tracks in regular rotation, and they sound OK to me. For lack of any better version.

heatherly, theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  22. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Speaking of Bob Dylan - I was thinking the other day about how George used to make his own Dylan bootlegs by secretly taping him, lol. The Harrisons could probably release their own Bob Dylan bootleg series with all the recordings he must've had. :p

theMess and Naughty Chord like this.
  23. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I love the story Tom Petty likes to tell of George standing outside of a window with a tape recorder when Bob was playing piano.

24. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Although I am a Beatles completist, fortiunately I am not a Beatles solo era completist....

Millington likes this.
  25. Does anyone know if the digital version of the box set available from iTunes will include the video from the DVD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.