George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

theMess likes this.
  2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

With all the catalog albums now remastered and reissued, where does the Harrison journey go next? Olivia has indicated that there are more tapes that need to be presented and heard (before they get too degraded). I do hope that the estate has taken up the task of digitizing all these tapes for future use.

I would also like to believe that Universal is considering re-doing the Concert for Bangladesh for Bluray. The only reason I think it hasn't happened yet is that the early 2000's restoration work may not have been done at current Bluray standards (2K or 4K scanning). Perhaps for the 45th anniversary?

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

In a very nice coincidence, that exact song happened to be playing when I read your post! :righton: I would bet that there are enough covers of Bob Dylan songs in the Friar Park vaults for at least one "George Does Dylan" CD...

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I guess I just don't like these two albums . When we are speaking of ANY solo Beatles album there are always a couple of tracks that I appreciate, even on albums I don't care for like Pipes of Peace, Broadstreet, and Mind Games, etc, but like those albums, there are more things that annoy me than impress me on Troppo and England.:D

It just seems like George's songs were sunk by the production. I can get tired of Jeff Lynne's production signature sounds but at least on Cloud Nine he reminded George it's OK to rock out a little bit and actually have a guy hit a snare drum with authority.:p Songs like "Fish on the Sand" and "Devils Radio" help balance out George's mellower things. Too much of Gone Troppo reminds me of Muzak , or bland easy listening music, and I'm not a guy that needs things to RAWWK.

But, that's what makes the world go round.I'm crazy about Wonderwall Music and Paul's Wildlife, an album I remember you don't care for.We all look for different things in music, so it's nice the ex Fabs have given us so much music to disagree about.:p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    JimC and theMess like this.
  5. :bigeek:

csnfan likes this.
  6. Complier

Complier Senior Member

We have found a pricing error for The Apple Years [Box Set] * in this order. For this reason, this title has been cancelled from your order.

Despite our best efforts, occasionally pricing errors do occur and we have no choice but to cancel the product from your order.

By way of apology, we have credited your account with $5.00 for you to use on your next order with Fishpond.

We do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards
    Fishpond
    Customer Services Team

I saw this coming:D

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Fixed.

Hutch and kwadguy like this.
  8. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Wonderwall Music use to rate a middling C for me... it's now a B+ and could go higher. I really appreciate the individual songs more than ever. Wildlife sucks! Well, it just does. When one of the best songs is Mumbo, you know there's not much to recommend. Yes, Tomorrow is quite nice and the title track is endearing enough... but it's just too darn amateurish for me. Paul's debut solo album is MUCH better, IMO. Ron

PS I like the demo for 1882 a lot. Just goes to show ya:D

JimC likes this.
  9. Glenn Christense

Sez you. :p

But, it's a George thread we are yapping in, so let's just keep talking about how Gone Troppo is just a LITTLE more lively than those Lawrence Welk albums you obsessively collect.;) :laugh:

In a few years you will finally come to realize that Wildlife is a B+ also !

JimC and theMess like this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wait, did Paul also do an album called Wild Life? Because the one by Wings is hideous. But maybe there's one that Paul did that's better. If so, I need to hear that one...

Hutch likes this.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

For those looking at WalMart make sure you look in various spots throughout the Entertainment area. At one store they had George's CD's on one of the "new item" racks, but there were two of them so I had to check both. In a 2nd they were with the other George Harrison albums...well the greatest hits one. In the one I checked tonight they were in the "H's" in the CD area, but not under George Harrison and I almost missed them. They were in there with the back cover of Wonderwall facing forward. I guess that one confused them. At any rate don't just go the George section or the first new rack you see, look around. I've found them at each store so far, though I'm checking a few others for covers in better shape.

Mark

12. Never heard this. Thanks for sharing!

13. :laughup:

14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So two weeks post release of ATMP....am I going to notice much improvement vs the 2001 deluxe?

15. :biglaugh:

16. Glenn Christense

I must love hideous than, but like I just mentioned to Ron, let's keep Paul out of our cherished George thread. :D

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I would say yes.

18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I dearly love Wild Life too. It's an album for tokers. ...but back to our George:)

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I would like to see:

George By George: George Harrison Sings the Hits of George Formby!

20. Glenn Christense

I love it, straight as an arrow. I was tepid about it upon release and using Ron's rating I would have given it a C originally. Now it's honestly a B+ for me except the song "Wildlife" itself, which bores me.
    But George had nothing to with Wildlife, so....

How do you like the Apple Years box set ?

21. Glenn Christense

There ya go. I corrected your post also!:p

mrjinks and theMess like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Is this a new subtle ploy? We talk about Paul in each post, and then end the post by asking something about George.

For instance:

I too have a strong liking for Wild Life. Definitely raw and unpolished (probably "unfinished"), especially for the debut of Paul's new band. But that adds to its charm, for me at least.

And how about the instrumental take 1 of "The Inner Light". No one has really commented yet on that take 1 since the box set and the individual CDs came out. Anyone wish to share an opinion?

Arnie

23. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I agree with you. So many of George's songs could be among his best if they weren't ruined by the production, and I mainly love SIE for the album it could've been than what it actually was (1978-1981 was actually a great era for George, and it makes me sad that it didn't result in him gaining a boost in success). I wish he would've realised that his songs didn't need all of the bells and whistles to sound fantastic because I feel like his weaker albums would've been received totally differently if they had the production of something like Early Takes Vol. 1.

That said, I also have sentimental feelings towards Gone Troppo because it makes me happy when George lets loose and shows his goofy Monty Python side. The one thing I don't like about Cloud Nine is that his personality doesn't shine through as much.

And I honestly love the instrumental take of The Inner Light. I could listen to it all day.

Glenn Christense and JimC like this.
  24. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Just got the same email. Seriously, what a crock - they put the price up and down several times over a few hours - can't help thinking it was a cynical ploy to attract shoppers and get purchases of other stuff.

Complier and BlueSpeedway like this.
  25. Glenn Christense

OK. It's nice to have, but not earthshaking because it doesn't deviate from the released version instrumentally enough to garner repeated obsessive playing IMO. Nice addition to the release though.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.