George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

The only way they're selling those DVDs is by sneaking them into the Dark Horse and Apple Years sets and hoping nobody notices.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  2. milton333

milton333 Forum Resident

Evan L and IronWaffle like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Finally found an "All Things Must Pass" in Best Buy. Hooray.

g.z. likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As long as we were jabbering about George's live appearances earlier, let's not forget this:

5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Still waiting for that Spice Girls medley that we were never promised.

guess this'll do for now

7. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

There were quite a few times where George ended up playing Beatles songs to small groups of people. I wish there was audio of those.

"Norman is a bartender at the Row Barge Pub in Henley-on-Thames, England. He celebrated a birthday several months ago with neighbor George Harrison and a few friends. He also received a rather enviable present, an evening of Beatles songs from Harrison himself.

Neil Larsen - an L.A. musician who plays keyboards on Harrison’s new album - was also there. ‘George and I had gone down to the pub that night to relax and get a little drunk. It turned out to be Norman’s birthday, so he closed the bar a little early to celebrate, and we stayed along with a few of Norman’s friends. After a few rounds, *someone* produced a guitar, gave it to George, and George proceeded to play every Beatles song he could remember.’

Before Beatle bootleggers start crying all over their tape decks, consider that this is the same George Harrison who, at a 1974 press conference, conceded that ‘the Beatles did fill a space in the ’60s,’ but warned nostalgists ‘you can’t live in the past.’ He’ll always have to live with that past - the spectre of having once been a Beatle - but if his sixth solo album, simply entitled George Harrison (Dark Horse), is any indication, the former “quiet Beatle” has learned how to turn it to his advantage.

'The time I spent working with George I admit I was subconsciously checking him out,' says Larsen, who's also sessioned for Gregg Allman. 'You begin to wonder how someone would adapt to that kind of success. The guy just walks out of his house and he gets hit on by people. But he's very cool about it, takes it all in stride, and is quite nice to the people who do come up to him. There's no ego involved at all.'"— Circus Weekly (April 1979)

I wonder which songs he played...

theMess and IronWaffle like this.
  8. Haristar

theMess, heatherly, GregL and 2 others like this.
  9. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

Now that post had me feeling a bit ying and yang. It made me laugh but then I realised I LIKE Extra Texture!! Damn you Arnold!

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen!

daveidmarx and Haristar like this.
  11. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

theMess and vitorbastos123 like this.
  12. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Excellent...agree with Fred. One of the best!

13. Haristar

It just overflows with George-ness.

14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Hey guys, how many of the apple years box set should have sold by now?

15. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I just now won a copy of the new All Things Must Pass from
    our local Breakfast With The Beatles radio show!
    :wiggle:
    I'm very pleased.

theMess, jricc and Headfone like this.
  16. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Considering how long George had not played live to an audience, let alone the incredible and mass audience at Tokyo Dome 3 nights (opening nights of the Japan Tour!) ...would 1 of you Forum members feel comfortable speaking to a limited group of family members and then be asked to go speaking before a stadium filled group of people? I realize George remembered the songs, but playing these "Classic songs" many audiences members fondly recall and doing them with even a Big backing band is quite an achievement, surely practicing and getting familiar with many of these songs yet George did a fantastic tour even if we still listen with a critical ear. George was still willing on his own to play a date or two in U.K. After 1991. God bless him for trying period!

Tord and IronWaffle like this.
  17. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

It's now back on Fishpond at $55 or so.

jamesmaya likes this.
  18. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good price!

19. This may have been covered earlier in this massive thread but is anyone else disappointed in bonus DVD is lacking in content? The LITMW EPK was already in the last 30th anniversary box, the concert for Bangladesh is not even in this box set. Yet there is pro-shot of his last tour of which we got one song?

20. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Fishpond seems scary... has anyone ordered a GH Apple box and received it?

21. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Everybody agreed long ago that it is a completely worthless piece of aluminum...

22. +1

23. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

From 45:00 on: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04ksnqm

Gorgeous! Frustrating!

Tord, Yorick, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^George must have 100s of these types of demos. Just him and the guitar. They really should put out an Early Takes volume every 6 months or so. Or if they don't want to go the physical format route, they could have a "George Demo Fan Club", where you join up and you get 5-10 online demos per month for a yearly subscription. Otherwise, this stuff will sit around forever, without any outlet for it.

Arnie

25. JimC

JimC Senior Member

:bigeek: That's better than anything on at least three of his albums. If they could put out a box of this sort of thing, the Dark Horse would truly surprise some people.

Yorick, heatherly and kolive like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.