George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yeah, that's what you say until the full moon comes out.

theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

You mean .... like this?

revolution_vanderbilt and RayS like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't they need a photo and an article of clothing when they do that?

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Funny how their takeover of much of the music industry has brought a whole new meaning to the term "Universal Monsters".

5. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

:righton::righton::righton:

6. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Working my way through the box set and had to stop playing Dark Horse. Not good.

7. daveidmarx

I was not aware the original Platinum Weird mix was different... [SIGH] I guess that's another one to track down!

As for The Inner Light, I already have that pegged for inclusion on the Expanded Anthology (Beatles) that I'm working on as well. 12 cds for that one because six (the official release) was just too skimpy!

jlf, theMess and Sean Murdock like this.
  8. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I would have thought George would have been at home in a plane "Flying Time" :)

9. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I may be unduly optimistic but my guess is that there has already been a lot of work done on George's archive. I see this is a long term project which will surely see the light of day eventually. But only when Olivia and Dhani think they've 'got it right'. That could take time. Meanwhile, let's give Dhani some space for other things. He spent the summer recording at Friar Park with Paul Hicks and others and by all accounts there's something 'pretty interesting' going to emerge from that. That's his priority right now, not delving through old tapes left lying around the house by his dad.

IronWaffle likes this.
  10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I think it's just as well they aren't bringing in a fan to look through the archives. :p If it was me I'd probably have to camp out in George's house and just listen to each tape I find about five times over before moving on to the next one. It would take ages.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Looking forward to getting the box from Fishpond and will listen to it in chronological order including I believe my 3rd ever listen to Electronic Sound (probably my closest to mint quality piece of vinyl due to my feelings about its "music" - I imagine it's pretty collectible, eh?)

12. Raf

Raf Senior Member

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

The man has been dead for THIRTEEN YEARS now. And he himself spoke of his rarities - and played examples of them to a journalist - FIFTEEN YEARS ago. How much "longer term" must this be?

theMess, Carserguev and daveidmarx like this.
  14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The original PW "This Guitar" was officially released as a free download in 2006, so it's not against forum rules to post the link here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060527080526/http://www.platinumweird.com/tunes/thisguitar.mp3
    Wow, I'd be curious to see THAT list too -- in its own thread, of course! :righton:

IronWaffle likes this.
  15. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:) Me neither. But I'm big in Japan.

16. Haristar

I listened to Gone Troppo again recently and I discovered a new found love for several of the songs. Particularly Wake Up My Love and Greece.

17. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

There just appears to be a difference in philosophy between the two Beatle widows. Yoko gave us Menlove Ave, Live in NYC, the Lost Lennon Tapes, 4 CD Anthology, Acoustic, and Home Tapes. Olivia has given us the ten track Early Takes.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Wait, you made it through Electronic Sounds and you can't make it through Dark Horse?

19. mrjinks

Well, in fairness to Olivia, Yoko hadn't issued all that stuff by 1993 (but she had approved the Lost Lennon Tapes - which needs a corresponding Harrison project).

20. Haristar

Yes but we don't know if John wanted any of that stuff to be released though... Although Yoko's apparently released more of John's work, for all we know Olivia might want to stay closer to her husband's intentions than Yoko did. Or she just wants to take her time and make sure everything is as good as possible instead of rushing it all.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  21. mrjinks

Actually, we can surmise that Lennon likely DIDN'T want that stuff released. There's an old Musician magazine cover story, circa the debut of the Lost Lennon Tapes, which details how John "hid" those recordings...

Haristar likes this.
  22. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Interesting. Please share your track list once it's finalized. I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself.

23. daveidmarx

Will do. It's pretty much finalized, but it's gonna take a lot of work because my goal for many of the outtakes will be to add the Anthology video stuff in as well. For example, prior to What's The New Mary Jane outtake, I'll include the early take/breakdown that you hear during the White Album montage on Anthology. I had done it all a few years ago when I was in between computers (edited on minidisc!) and it came out pretty well. Now I need the energy to do it all again. I might need some help in obtaining some of the later outtakes (hint, hint! ;)). But yeah, this will definitely be a new thread topic soon! And any suggestions are very welcome! What good is having the world's most knowledgeable Beatles people in one spot if we can't collectively put our knowledge together for the greater good??? :wave:

milton333 likes this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Mmmm ... that's a project I've wanted to undertake too -- particularly ripping the audio of all the unique stereo mixes and outtake bits from the Anthology DVDs and their film DVDs. That's a lot of work!

25. daveidmarx

It's not bad, but not really that expensive. That's reserved for the likes of Live In Japan on vinyl, or either the 2001 or 2010 All Things Must Pass vinyl issues. Those are worth some serious coin (LIJ especially!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.