George Harrison - The Apple Years Box Set (Pt5)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Completely cut. I have it on a DVD of the actual live broadcast that I taped live.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Here is the video. It's not that bad. He floats out of key here and there, but it's a nice performance. Unlike John and Paul, George wasn't blessed with great vocal skills. Even back in the Beatles days, his live vocals were always shaky. I think most fans don't care - they should have included it in the recent rerelease.

daveidmarx, Haristar, theMess and 5 others like this.
  3. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I have another Fishpond success story for you. My order processed through on Oct. 20th. I was able to secure a $39.99 price shipped free from the UK.

The package arrived at my PO Box yesterday or today. The shipping box was so "injured" in the shipping process that I was reminded of the automotive safety term - crush zones. I opened it in the Post Office... Lo and behold - a Halloween miracle! The box set itself was in perfect condition inside!

So... I'm happy!

mrjinks likes this.
  4. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

They could well have been respecting George's wishes by not including it at the time and recently.

5. Dee Zee

I thought George was angry or PO'd after doing the Dylan anniversary show as he thought it was for charity and it wasn't. Am I correct on that?

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, that rings a bell with me also. I believe he mentioned something like that at one point.

7. helter

helter Forum Resident

I need to find the story but according to Dylan's manager, George showed up at some point after the concert wearing a shirt with a big $ sign on it ........in front of Dylan after he found out the show wasn't for charity.
    He wasn't happy

8. Dee Zee

I think the story is in Victor Maymudes recent book.

rstamberg and helter like this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

You mean as opposed to the three shows he played the previous year at 50,000 seat Tokyo Dome?

10. helter

helter Forum Resident

Sounds correct

11. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

When The Bob Dylan 30th was broadcast on PBS in my area, they only showed Absolutely Sweet Marie, and not If Not For You. I remember it because I was surprised George did not sing it, only to find out he did sing it, they left it off and they said you had to buy the video to get more performances not seen.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got my fishpond delivery in good shape. I notice Wonderwall states George plays guitar and piano. that wasn't listed on previous editions, was it?

Any idea what tracks he plays on? Just a bonus track perhaps?

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think that they are just giving George a general credit. He never was officially credited before on any of the "western" tracks. But various people and musicians connected with the sessions have mentioned that George did some things musically. Hence, they are now crediting him with guitar and piano. However, it still may not be verifiable for any of the tracks. Plus, there is no obvious sound on any track that you could point to and say is George. So it's more of an acknowledgement of some instrumental involvement rather than an exact accounting.

That's my take of it.

Arnie

Sean Murdock and Rfreeman like this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

George sent Dylan and Maymudes each a $ shirt sometime after the concert. It's in Maymudes' book.

Also in the book:

Olivia busts George for having seen a girlfriend at the time by checking the hotel room's itemized phone bill. This further pissed off George because Maymudes was in charge of "handling" said girlfriend's comings and goings ...

Hep Alien, heatherly and helter like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

George involved in a little "Cockamamie Business"??

Arnie

daveidmarx, rstamberg and theMess like this.
  16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Interesting. My guess is that it was edited out before air in some countries.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I tried out ATMP to see how these 2014s fared and I was very pleased with it. A clear winner over the 2001. It seems fair to say we lived with loudness and a treble jack in exchange for clarity back in 2001. I never really loved the 2001 so it rarely got played.

The 2014 strikes a great balance. To be fair to the 2001 loudness was not the bigger problem for me, treble boost was. The 2014 seems very similar in almost all respects except now, very importantly, no treble boost. I play it only 1 dB louder than the 2001 so similar in loudness; but now the album opens up vocally while not feeling pinched or spiky up top, and overall is more organic and comfortable like a warm sweater by the fire that is the album.

The big problem with the 2001 was the glassy/stainless steel glare that arrested the upper half of everything and washed out or distorted the vocals especially in highly dynamic passages. You do get more impact or guitar bite, and you do hear more of the tinier loose bits on the 2001, so maybe you would miss some of that increased clarity, although not worth the trade-off for me; the 2014 moves a shade closer to that darker murky, with murky used here as a compliment, feel that I remembered from the vinyl.

To get this thread squarely back on the topic of George Harrison info, can someone answer when the printed lyrics for “Awaiting On You All” dropped the “Pope owns 51% of General Motors” line, it is not on this lyric sheet nor the 2001. Was it ever in the printed lyrics?

18. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Not on my old Apple copy, either... Never noticed that.

bmoregnr likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

The lyrics were always omitted on purpose at EMI's request. EMI didn't want any legal hassles, so the original LP inner sleeves skipped that line about the Pope and General Motors.

Arnie

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I never noticed either. I don't even know what made me check other than hey, am I actually hearing that line correctly, what is he saying here, let me check. I re-read that thing like 5 times thinking I was either losing my mind or this was another case of hearing a line a 1,000 times and finding out years later it was not even close to what I thought it was.

Thanks, I figured it was a touchy subject but never knew if it was always that way.

21. Arnold Grove

The funny thing (to me at least) is that the line sounds humorous but it's not really derogatory. It's not like saying the Pope owns 51% of Planned Parenthood, or something like that. I don't think it would have had any legal legs to stand on had the Catholic Church sued EMI, or whomever.

Arnie

IronWaffle likes this.
  22. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I remember reading the record sleeve lyrics (in order to sing along) when I first got the LPs when they were originally issued.
    They never had the Pope line in them, and I just assumed that they didn't want to get in trouble over lyrics. Lennon did the same with changing a word or two on the printed lyrics for Give Peace a Chance.

23. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I don't think it had to do with actual legal problems, more likely just not considered appropriate to tweak the nose of the leader of a major religious group.

24. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well the "And the stock exchange is the only thing he's qualified to quote us." was the thing that was probably going to get you in trouble. That or GM saying that amount of ownership is a flat out lie, just look at our 10K!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  25. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I always liked that line though, it was just an example of George's brilliant sense of humour.

Carserguev, theMess and Jerry Horne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.