George Harrison - The Apple Years box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Really interesting discussion of these May 1970 sessions and the provenance of the Early Takes tracks--thanks guys!

theMess and supermd like this.
  2. sweet. thanks.

3. Using Macca's instrument, which is weird. Not sure I ever heard Macca play banjo anywhere.

4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Great info on the May 1970 sessions, thanks! Would love to hear more such trio tracks (George, Ringo, Klaus) get official release.

Are we sure Awaiting For You All comes from the same session with Ringo? Always sounded like Jim Gordon to me on that number.

5. slane

slane Forum Resident

You can hear (what I think is) Ringo's voice at the very end (IIRC)

The electric guitar sound seems similar to 'Golders Green' to me (just a dryer mix)

theMess, crossroads69 and brainwashed like this.
  6. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yep... sounds like that to me too. How nice to find out about this impending release. Our friend Wollensack REALLY has me interested. He's not one for hyperbole and his post got my attention but quick. I'm guessing some truly unheard performances (meaning from the underground) will be included. Thanks to Dhani, Paul Hicks and all involved. Ron

7. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Chip - just noticed you on this forum - all I wanted to say is Eight Arms To Hold You is my favorite Beatle book of all time. Thank you for writing it.

JimC, forthlin, PhoffiFozz and 5 others like this.
  8. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

That's very high praise - thank you very much! If that's the case, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy the next one as well.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

9. Witney Devil

Witney Devil Well-Known Member

I'd like to echo the previous posters comment. Your book is a treasure trove of info. Everytime I pick it up, I find something new and interesting.

Consider me one confirmed sale for the next one.

forthlin, PhoffiFozz, theMess and 2 others like this.
  10. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Chip, I am so looking forward to your next book. I've read Eight Arms To Hold You countless times.

forthlin and theMess like this.
  11. ahewson

ahewson Forum Resident

Wish you would reprint Eight arms . Been looking for it a while now. a 2nd hand copy costs £90+ on amazon!

sgtpppr84 likes this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Did Paul drop in to the ATMP sessions at any point, to drop off the banjo?

13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Add me to the list, a really superb book , and a guaranteed purchase for whatever's next.

forthlin and theMess like this.
  14. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, I found 3 instrumental passages that have actual banjo and all sound EXACTLY like Peter's playing. (I am very familiar with his style and sound). None of them are actually on the album. The one track (sometimes titled "Mother" on bootlegs) is mixed in stereo on the DVD menu and sounds like Peter on banjo in one channel and Roy on tack-piano in the other. It's a cool track. Peter is a cool banjo player.

BeatleStair and She is anyway like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Remember this was a time when he & George weren't getting along. I believe George told him "please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..."
    :p

16. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Is that quote real?

:D

Duophonic likes this.
  17. o_O I have no idea what you two are talking about.

18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

To tell you the truth, neither do I. :D

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It may be July, but you apparently need to listen to this...
    [​IMG]

supermd, PhoffiFozz, vince and 3 others like this.
  20. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I will also look forward to it! Any chance of the old one coming back in print?

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Portrait Of A Leg End?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  22. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Can't wait for this. Awesome :righton:
    How are they going to deal with 'the 74 tour'? :)
    DVD of a whole show? Selected performances that highlight George in the best light?
    Personally I found the small segment devoted to 74 tour the most interesting part of the Scorsese doco in many ways. This period would have made an interesting mini doco in itself. There was real shock value in being confronted by the tour snippets in HD reality after all these years.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  23. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I heard Lee Eastman dropped it off :D Along with the brick Ringo put through Macca's window :D
    from what we know about George, there's every chance he used it just to put a sarcastic sleeve note 'thank you' to Paul on the album. And to have 'the Monkees' 'bass player' credited :D

Oh is the Peter Tork banjo from Wonderwall not All Things Must Pass?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    theMess likes this.
  24. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

thread derailed by monkeys. :drool:

Naughty Chord likes this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

While I'm all in favor of more George being released, I was very disappointed by the way the Dark Horse Box sprinkled an average of 2 or less bonus tracks on each disc, making people buy a box set to get about half a CD's worth of new music. And then they include a DVD with only a few songs fron the concert. I really hope that is not what is happening again with this box.

Similarly disappointing was George's releasing those ultra high end books and including a disc with 4 tracks or so with it. Harrison's camp really seems to be trying to milk fans in the way they dribble these tracks out in expensive releases, which is an unseemly show of greed for a family that has made so much money from music already. And then Isn't It A Pity demo coming out only on the iTunes version of Let It Roll was similary frustrating.

At least a couple years ago we finally got a "vol. 1" release of pure unreleased tracks and takes, but even that was so short for a CD and a small sampling of what is out there.

About the only truly satisfying release post-Wilburys has been Brainwashed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.