George Harrison with the Remo Four "In the First Place"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris M, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam Thread Starter

This is probably common knowledge to most people here but can someone fill me in on the story of the 'lost' Wonderwall track George recorded with the Remo Four at Abbey Rd in 1967? I know it came out as a bonus with the Rhino Handmade Wonderwall DVD a few years ago. So George wrote this song? I can clearly hear his vocals on the track, does he play on it as well? When was it recorded? Was this track even known to exist before the Rhino Handmade Wonderwall package?

Thanks,

Chris

2. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Senior Member

Here's a little info about the session in general...
    ca. NOV67 [DE LANE LEA STUDIO] LONE BEATLE George: WONDERWALL SESSIONS
    22-23NOV67 [EMI LONDON] LONE BEATLE George: WONDERWALL SESSION
    The Wonderwall band: Harrison, The Remo Four - Tony Ashton (keyboards),
    Roy Dyke (drums), Colin Manley, ?, and Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, and
    John Lennon (rhythm guitar). Classical musicians on 23NOV67.
    In The First Place (Manley-Ashton)
    India " a working title"
    Swordfencing "a working title"
    Dream Scene
    Greasy Legs
    Guru Vandana
    Drilling A Home
    In The Park
    Red Lady Too
    Wonderwall To Be There
    On The Bed
    Cowboy Music

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Doug,
    Where did you get that info? I've heard over the years that Clapton was part of the sessions...also that Peter Tork and Steven Stills played on a few tracks as well, but I've never read or heard that Lennon was involved in the sessions. If I remember correctly, John contributed a poem that's included in the DVD package. If you have a source for your info could you kindly list it? As far as In The First Place goes, George didn't write the song, he produced The Remo Four (they were a fellow Liverpool group from the early years) and yes, he contributed backing vocals too. There's a CD single available from Amazon UK. If you haven't heard the Wonderwall LP or CD, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy, it's really good. Contrary to public opinion, the eastern (Indian) music is quite nice...and there is an interesting melange of western styles as well. The Remo Four song is NOT on the Wonderwall LP/CD, but was always in the movie soundtrack. Cheers, Ron

4. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

...who went on to chart with 'Resurrection Shuffle' in 1971 as part of Ashton, Gardner and Dyke
    http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/agd.htm

5. brainwashed

Yes indeed...Clapton and Harrison also play on some tracks released on the Worst of... LP recorded in 1970, during the All Things Must Pass sessions....Sweet Pattie O'Hara Smith and I'm Your Spiritual Breadman. Ashton also recorded a soundtrack album The Last Rebel with Jon Lord (Deep Purple's keyboardist) in 1970, another close friend of Harrison's. Ron

6. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Not true. "In The First Place" only became part of the movie when an expanded "director's cut" was released in 1999.

7. brainwashed

Hmm, I thought it was on the VHS copy I had from the 80's, perhaps not. Thanks

8. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Ashton Gardner and Dyke's second album, What A Bloody Long Day It's Been, had a song called The Ballad Of The Remo Four. Great song.

9. mdpierocarey

Hi Ron,
    Sure, but you were pickin' on my brain cells there. I found it though. Here's my main source, an article by Martin Lewis out on the AbbeyRd website at http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/wonderwall.htm . I heartily recommend the article as a good read. Seems well-researched.

That's my source for the Lennon on rhythm guitar info anyway. It says, "Neither of the Beatles (Lennon and Starr) wanted to draw the fact of their involvement (in Wonderwall Music) to draw attention away from Harrison on his first solo project - and they eschewed any credit".

The actual text I pasted into my earlier message is from my website, eternally under construction, at http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mdcarey/timeline.htm .

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

10. Chris M

Thanks for posting that Doug!

11. brainwashed

Hi Doug,
    I know I'm a pessemist, but not even Derek Taylor's liner notes mention Lennon by name. The "others" he slyly refers to may have been Tork, Stills, and Bill Chadwick amongst others. Surely by 1991, if Lennon had any musical involvement it would have been noted. As for he and Ringo eschewing any notoriety...ummm I don't think that's very likely. Afterall, it was an Apple LP, and they all would benefit from a strong selling record, especially since it was only an instrumental soundtrack album. Unless session notes are found and published it appears that Lennon's involvement is still rumour. Martin Lewis isn't above saying things that can't be substantiated. The article though shows what a wonderful gentleman George was...giving sole credit to the Remo Four for In The First Place, very nice to read that. Thanks so much for the URL....Ron

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Most, if not all, of the Indian tunes were recorded at EMI Bombay. Eric Clapton plays lead guitar on "Ski-ing". I don't hear any drumming that sounds exclusively like Ringo's, but he could be playing in tandem on "Party Secombe".

13. mdpierocarey

I'm totally dubious that Lennon played on any of these tracks too. The mythology is that ALL the Beatles played on EVERY track that is even remotely associated with the group. It's just very unlikely.

If Lennon did strum a chord in there somewhere, I don't know how you'd ever be able to pick it out as Lennon's.

Nevertheless, it's another little tidbit of info. I collect those. If I'm lucky someone will unearth and analyze some massive set of notes kept by some flunky at De Lane Lea in 1967 that disproves it conclusively. Or proves it.

The tale of why Mr Harrison credited things to the Remo Four is indeed a cheering thing. Glad you enjoyed it.

So anyway, I don't think I have any version of Wonderwall Music. Musically, is there a "best pressing" I ought to look for?

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

14. brainwashed

Over the years I've owned the Apple 8-track ;) , the US and UK stereo LP's, the 1991 Apple re-issue on CD and also an underground mono CD version. The original UK stereo LP is very nice sounding and I enjoy the Apple CD re-issue, though some claim it's rather sterile sounding. The mono boot is amazing, very bright and clear...though I've never had the pleasure to hear an original mono LP to compare it with. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Apple CD, it's still available as an import at Tower records, Virgin Megastores and the like...expect to pay maybe $25.00-$30.00 for a new copy....of course, used copies are often made available on Ebay. I'd highly recommend it. Cheers, Ron

15. Marry a Carrot

Why wouldn't it be credited to the Remo Four?

16. brainwashed

Well according to the article written by Martin Lewis...and as I said earlier, his statements are often unsubstantiated....he claims George produced, performed AND sang lead vocals on it. If that was the case, then Harrison should have been credited as the artist, BACKED by the members of the Remo Four. The article goes on to say he wanted the four members of The Remo Four to benefit financially from the songs' release, apparently one member was ill and died shortly thereafter. Again, not knowing any further details than what Lewis mentions, it seems that Harrison wanted only the band members to profit from the sales of In the First Place, whether it was one of his genuine solo tracks or not. Ron

17. Chris M

I think De Lane Lea tape boxes and recording sheets are notorious for not providing much info. The tape boxes of the '67 De Lane Lea Pink Floyd sessions have very little info on them. It would be cool to know who played what on In the First Place as it's a pretty neat tune.

18. Marry a Carrot

Lewis is wrong. The lead vocalist is Colin Manley.

19. brainwashed

Like I said, much of what Lewis says is unsubstantiated...thanks for the update. It is a cool tune, very '67 psychedelic. Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.