George/Paul dust-up during the Get Back sessions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Maybe it was just meant to be.

bewareofchairs likes this.
  2. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

That's how most businesses run, the ones that ultimately fail. Some success, the owners think yeah we know, right? Then.. Boof !

3. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Except making Art is not a business.

4. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

"I like that drummer on yer new album, but I gotta say it's a pretty sloppy shuffle on that Helen Wheels." :)

5. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

A principle with a broad application.

MGSeveral likes this.
  6. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Have we got any evidence of Keith Moon's version of a Shuffle :laugh:
    Moon would have heard the UK version sans Helen Wheels :)

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Clearly Keith Moon was not a drummer either. :)

ohnothimagen and blutiga like this.
  8. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

He might not have been a drummer, but man he could bang those sticks :D

Culpa likes this.
  9. thrivingonariff

Not really. The same fundamental forces that make something possible will eventually make it impossible.

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

The art was successful, the business less so.

blutiga likes this.
  11. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I've always questioned this story. I think it's more likely that Moon asked Paul who the drummer was because he felt the drumming was sub-par. Paul misinterpreted it as some sort of high praise.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    andrewskyDE and Zongadude like this.
  12. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

I can't believe I've read through this whole thread, but I have. Took parts of two days. It's a great discussion and I enjoyed following along. Thanks, guys.

The interpersonal relationships of the Fabs have always been a fascinating topic to me, because they had so much bearing on the band's creative process (an even more fascinating topic). LIB was like a smeary, really dirty window into those intertwined subjects at that late stage when things had already gone way sour. I say "smeary" and "really dirty" in allusion to the film's disjointed character. A few pages back someone was wishing for a new cut from the original footage by someone with a more coherent view of things. That would indeed be awesome, but I'm not sure how different the outcome would really be.

It's always tempting to paint LIB as a document of disintegration and dissipated magic, and I guess it is. But the same four angry young men were able to pull together enough to generate Abbey Road, so they obviously had that much left in the tank. LIB still stands as a wonderful historical document. Haven't sat through it in quite some time, but I'm going to try to find time for that soon.

Chris M, mrgroove01 and theMess like this.
  13. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Again I'll say

It looks like a typical band rehearsal of any band beyond year one.

That first Velvet underground tape, (from the Peel Slowly box) is way more snippy.

Zeki likes this.
  14. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

This is exactly what I was always thinking.
    I agree it's subjective on my part, but .... it's so plausable.

Like:
    -Moon: Who's playing drums on this ?
    -Linda: It's Paul. We got no drummer so he had to do it.
    -Moon: Ahem... err..... well yeah ok. errrr... very good drumming then !

;)

Gila and Fred68 like this.
  15. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

-Reply: "Yeah I know. That's why we didn't put the song on the European and Uk versions of the album. " :laugh:

Culpa likes this.
  16. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

These two got into a fist fight on the Twickenham set? Must have been quite a brawl.

[​IMG]

andrewskyDE, Six Bachelors and Gila like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

John Lennon is the greatest singer-songwriter ever imo. I have no doubt he would have succeeded without the Beatles. Paul would have also. And George could have been a minor star i his own right. That is how much talent the band had.

18. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

No wonder George was so upset about Yoko stealing his biscuits. The dude was hungry, and losing weight far too quickly. I mean, John was famished too, but he should have stolen his own food, rather than get his girlfriend to do the dirty work for him. :p

I still firmly believe the Beatles could have avoided breaking up if EMI could have provided catering services whilst recording. Sometimes I too get “hangry” if I’ve missed too many meals.;)

19. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

True, but it's not every day a band reaches the heights The Beatles did while going out at the top of their game, followed by them always just missing each other for a proper reunion. When you read Tune In or You Never Give Me Your Money, it's hard not to be struck by how easily history could've gone in a different direction.

theMess and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  20. thrivingonariff

Perhaps, but thinking that we can know, even if only as a probability (as opposed to a certainty) what would have happened---a day later, a year later---if only X had happened, is an illusion, imo.

21. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I don't think that though. I'm not suggesting that if you changed one thing everything would be different. I'm saying there were many little things which, when put together, made for an incredible and unique story.

theMess likes this.
  22. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

So the Three Stooges made a Butcher Cover before the Beatles did?

Mike Visco and marmalade166 like this.
  23. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I think it is worth mentioning that John wasn't the only Beatle that brought a new girlfriend to the first White Album sessions. Paul's girl even sang on John's song..

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Paul only brought Francine Schwartz to the sessions because John brought Yoko. It was Paul's decidedly odd way of telling Lennon, "John, this business of bringing yer old lady to the studio is not on." Of course John didn't take the hint...

Gila and theMess like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But George brought Eric Clapton. So it worked out ... ;)

Gila, andrewskyDE and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.