German Beatles White Album question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JPartyka, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ok guys, help me out here. I just bought a German White lp on ebay. It has the gold sticker that Steve mentioned BUT the number begins with a 1 c 192 instead of the 172. It has the 192 on the sleeve as well as both records----1C 192 04173/74. The number on the front cover is 820,902. So where did this "192" series come from????

2. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Holy Zoo, it states that number with a November, 1968 date. Is this like a first pressing????

4. Holy Zoo

5. Holy Zoo

6. Holy Zoo

7. Holy Zoo

8. Holy Zoo

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, since my scanner is working at least part-time, here's the label of my German 1st pressing... cover #0190390.

[​IMG]

The cover has **no** sticker, and aside from the different catalog number on the spine, it really doesn't look much that different from a numbered UK first pressing. (Top opener, inside flipbacks, etc.)

This is Tom Port's favorite pressing of the LP, and now I know why...!! It's marvelous!! :)

-Kevin

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: I have that german dmm pressing

I wouldn't really call it a "killer". There's a strange midrangy sound on those tapes that comes through all too well on the CD. Almost as if there's a veil over things. A friend of mine (who's actually on this board, but I don't think he reads it much) remastered a few tracks, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps in particular sounds like a whole new recording. A better one too! There is fidelity on that song, it's just hidden!

Now, I haven't heard any vinyl to see how it compares to the CD, but I really don't think the CD is any great shakes...

RogerE and john lennonist like this.
  11. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Uh.....How? I have a french white wax copy, sounds pretty good but some mild noise in several places(to be expected from most color vinyl anyway, apparently).

ED:cool:

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Thank you so much Holy Zoo. It looks like I have an early pressing over the 1976 release which is the "172" series. Now, what years are the "072" and "062" series attributed to?

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Re: I have that german dmm pressing

Yea, Steve mentioned it here on the forum as a "Flat Transfer". I enjoy it also! :)

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

062 is from 1969. 072 is from 1976, 1977, and 1981. I don't know if the pressings on the various 072 copies are the same or different.

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Just a "minor" correction: label number is "PCS 7067", as per the picture.

I have one with a UK number of PCS 7068 (yes "8") that is on WHITE VINYL that I purchased in the 1980s (new, but with small cut-out hole) that sounds really nice as well. The cover has NO serial number and is laminated thin cardboard (usual UK stock).

16. sgraham

sgraham New Member

7067 is disk one, 7068 is disk two. At least it is on my U.K. LP set.

17. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Steve,
    You are correct. The album "spine" says PCS 7067-8.

18. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Miike - your "French" pressing of the White Album was actually pressed for the UK market. At some point in the mid-1970s the EMI pressing plant at Hayes (just outside London) was closed for refurbishment and EMI contracted their Pathe Marconi subsidiary in France to press LP's for a short time. These LP's were then put into UK sleeves and sold in the UK - I'm not sure how many Beatles LP's were pressed but from what I understand not many.

I have the French-pressed White Album and also the French-pressed Abbey Road from the same era. They date from about 1974/75. As for your brother's Japanese White Album, the EAS series appeared in 1976 so your assumption is correct.

BTW, what do you think of the sound on the "French" White? I really like it, seems to have a bit more bottom end that the regular UK LP. Same goes for the French-pressed Abbey Road I own.

Kipper

19. Kipper, nice avatar. :D Thanks for the info. I have stared at that label, and Abbey Road, which I probably bought together on the same day and wondered for years what was up with that. I actually thought it was the reverse. I did mention that my German vinyl was a bit better on the White Album, but this French pressing is very decent as is the French Abbey Road.

Kelly's Stereo Mart in Winnipeg used to have a mid sized LP bin, specifically for Capitol U.K. imports. It was always fun to flip through that section and see all the Beatles and Pink Floyd U.K. albums at near domestic price. IIRC Capitol brought in the German MMT, Beatles Beat, and Beatles Greatest as well, or maybe Kelly's had some astute import buyers who knew their stuff. I don't remember paying huge import prices for those albums either. Again, I only wish I'd bought 2 or 3 backups as well.

We had a period in time in Canada where all of our import LPs and some 45s were France pressings and not U.K. It was frustrating. But this was later on, in the early 1980s. All my Echo & The Bunnymen early albums are WEA France and not U.K. :( Nothing we could do about it. I suspect that Records On Wheels and The Record Peddler were getting a better deal from their importers by buying France instead of the U.K. And charging us the same price as they would if the LP had been from England. :mad:

Attached Files:

20. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Kipper:

At some point, Pathe Marconi did do some pressing for (German) Electrola, as well... I have a copy of the "German" MMT album that is housed in a sleeve that's made in Germany, but the record itself was pressed in France-- using the original German SHZE-xxx plates!!

Is that confusing enough, or what...? :)

-Kevin

21. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Doesn't surprise me really, I think a lot of that sort of thing went on in the 70s and 80s. Another example of this is a UK copy of David Bowie's Heroes LP I own which is actually an Italian pressing in a UK sleeve.

22. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Glad to be of help miike. Now, that avatar of yours...I was here first :D :D :D I did a thorough search when I joined the forum back in June last year to make sure nobody was using the WTB/MTB cover! Thinking of changing it to the Abbey Road sleeve now... ;)

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

It has ALWAYS done this.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Stella

Stella Active Member

I just bought a turntable and saw this Beatles White Album from Germany with a number stamped on the front in gold print. They want $45 for it, and it sounds like one described in here. Is this too much for an excellent copy?

25. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I'm probably late, but I have one from that same pressing and the sound is superb. I love it. But I've seen it even cheaper than that. They're not that hard to find and the price is reasonable.
    I'm listening to Mother Nature's Son right now, from that pressing, and it sounds so warm, sweet (I'm not talking about apple pie... :tsk:), with a certain echo that makes it the most terrific version of this song I've listened to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.