Getting into Bill Evans. Questions about CDs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I used a Borders coupon this past week to get the following Bill Evans CDs very cheap. They sound good to me. How do you rate them against other versions?

* Portrait in Jazz, Keepnews Collection, Riverside catalog number catalog number RCD-30678

* Waltz for Debby, Riverside catalog number OJCCD-210-2

* Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Riverside catalog number OJCCD-140-2

Are other versions on CD a significant upgrade? Must I get the DCC gold disc of Portrait? I have the original Japanese CDs of Portrait and Sunday with VDJ catalog numbers but haven't compared them yet.

Also, how do the other in-print and inexpensive Bill Evans CDs rate?

Thanks!

2. dee

dee Senior Member

I'm partial to his cd with Jim Hall, Undercurrent (the remixed and remastered one). I also like Interplay. In addition to my enjoyment of those two recordings just as they are, I also like that they present Bill Evans in a different format than his trio performances.

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This doesn't quite answer your question, but these are the ones I have, they're my favourites:

The Complete Riverside Recordings – 12CD, Riverside (Japan, first version); 1956 and 1958-1963 recordings in various settings; this set includes the albums New Jazz Conceptions, Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Portrait in Jazz, Explorations, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby, Moonbeams, alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley's album with Bill Evans Know What I Mean?, Interplay, How My Heart Sings, Bill Evans Trio at Shelly's Manne-Hole and various compilations
    Everybody Digs Bill Evans – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1958 Riverside solo/trio recordings
    Portrait in Jazz – DCC; 1959 Riverside trio recordings
    Explorations – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1961 Riverside trio recordings
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1961 live Riverside trio recordings
    Waltz for Debby – Analogue Productions (gold CD, not the hybrid SACD); 1961 live Riverside trio recordings
    How My Heart Sings – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1962 Riverside trio recordings
    Moon Beams – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1962 Riverside trio recordings
    Empathy/A Simple Matter of Conviction – Verve; 1962 and 1966 trio recordings
    Time Remembered – Milestone; 1962 solo, and live 1963 solo/trio recordings
    Bill Evans Trio at Shelly's Manne-Hole, Hollywood, California – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version); 1963 live Riverside recordings
    Trio'64 – Verve; 1964 recordings
    Bill Evans Trio at the Village Vanguard, August 17/18, 1967 – 2 separate 2CD-sets, Verve (Japan)
    Since We Met – Original Jazz Classics; 1974 live Fantasy trio recordings
    Re: Person I Knew – Original Jazz Classics; 1974 live Fantasy trio recordings
    Blue in Green – Milestone; 1974 live radio recordings
    The Paris Concert, Edition One – Blue Note, and
    The Paris Concert, Edition Two – Elektra Musician (Japan); these 2 CDs contain 1979 live trio recordings made in Paris, France
    Turn Out the Stars – 6CD, Warner Bros.; 1980 live trio recordings
    Consecration – 8CD, Alfa Jazz (Japan); and
    The Last Waltz – 8CD, Milestone; these 2 sets contain 1980 live trio recordings

vdm likes this.
  5. KeithH

6. KeithH

That's quite a list. Thanks. I see in the thread that Sam mentioned above that Steve also recommended the gold disc of Waltz for Debby and the XRCD of Sunday at the Village Vanguard.

7. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I don't see anyone mentioning The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, a 3-CD set on Riverside. I just picked this up this week and can't see any reason not to love it. Is there something I'm missing? It's got everything plus it doesn't pack all the repetitive tracks back-to-back like some of the other Vanguard releases do.

8. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

I have this set and think it is excellent. :thumbsup:
    Good luck in your journey with Bill Evans. A musical treasure. :love:

Paul

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

If you have the two separate CDs mentioned in my list above (Waltz for Debby and Sunday at the Village Vanguard) you don't really need the 3CD-set; the extra stuff on the set isn't interesting enough to justify its purchase in my opinion.

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Personally for me a "Portrait In Jazz" rules over any other Bill Evans album I heard so far. There is a special feeling I get when I listen to that album. Maybe it is cause that was my first contact with his genius and I expected the highly acclaimed Waltz For Debby - which is very good too - listening to it atm. (Riverside Stereo CD) and esp. Sundays At The Village to be even better. Maybe they are from a musicians / Jazz critics pov. But Portrait concentrates on Bill Evans and his genius on the keys and that's what gives me such a thrill. More easy accessible stuff, too.
    I really hate the crowds coughing on Waltz For Debby, it really annoys me - it often busts my bubble and brings me down to earth. You can loose yourself so nicely with Bill Evans brilliant musical flow...
    Or is it just a technical question you got ?

11. peter

peter Senior Member

J.A.W. obviously knows much more than I, but I will add that I like very much my W. German Verve Bill Evans CD's. I have a handful. I also have the DCC Interplay and XRCD's of Waltz FOr Debby and Everyone Digs Bill Evans. I think all these CD's sound very nice. I also have an original VDJ Green Dolphin Street that's very nice.

12. I really enjoy this set.
    Fantastic stuff.:righton:

13. KeithH

Thanks for the input, everyone. I have my work cut out for me. It looks as though I can do well with Bill Evans without breaking the bank. I will keep my eyes peeled for sales at Borders and Barnes and Noble to build up my collection.

I will put the XRCD of Sunday at the Village Vanguard and the gold discs of Waltz for Debby and Portrait in Jazz on the list, but I do like the sound of the standard CDs that I just bought for under $9 each.

14. sgb

sgb Senior Member

* Portrait in Jazz, Keepnews Collection, Riverside catalog number catalog number RCD-30678

I would expect this to be identical to the CD layer of the SACD release, which is what I have, and I consider this one (both layers) quite satisfactory.

* Waltz for Debby, Riverside catalog number OJCCD-210-2 * Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Riverside catalog number OJCCD-140-2

I have both of these on the Acoustic Sounds SACD as well as the original versions currently. If you have an SACD player, the extra cost for the AS is warranted.

15. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I highly recommend Cannonball Adderley's Know What I Mean?

Bill plays with him here and he is sounding supurb. This is one of my all time fave jazz records, I absolutely dig it.

For digital the DCC is great, I have the AP SACD as well, but I have not compared them. For vinyl there is nothing like Steve's 45 RPM of it. I just love the way Bill plays on this record.:thumbsup:

16. Looks like there are two different versions of

The Paris Concert - Edition One & Two

There are CD's on the Elektra label with a copyright date of 1989 and then there are the CD's on the Blue Note label with a date of 2001, and these also say something like 24bit mastering.

Did anybody ever compare these versions?

I think there are also some early Japanese versions from around 1989, and maybe these are the same as the Elektra CD's in Europe. I currently own the Elektra CD's from Europe. They are in digipacks, and Amazon lists them with a release date of 2008, although it says 1989 on the artwork. I am assuming that these 2008 digipacks use the mastering from 1989 for these recordings.

I think it was in one Amazon review (not sure which country, UK or US?) where I read that someone was recommending the original mastering since the remastering has some hiss removed which apparently affected the sound of the piano. I can't find that review anymore.

If anyone has heard both releases, or owns the Blue Note release, I would be interested in your opinion and possibly a sound clip. Also, if someone owns the original Japanese Elektra release, I would be interested in peak levels to see if this mastering is the same as on my digipack release.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I know it is "just" a radio broadcast recording, but I think it sounds o.k. and I would like to make sure I have the best sounding CD release.

Amazon.fr currently has these digipacks on sale. If you buy 4 CD's you get them for 20 Euros, shipping within France included (it helped that I have a friend in France).

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If you get to the point where you become a big fan, and are willing to spend more cash, the boxes that cover his final dates over the last year are incredibly good. The Last Waltz and Turn out the Stars aren't just final documents. They are utterly essential and among the most important releases with his name.

18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

So much amazing stuff in the Evans catalog , i too own most of my Bill stuff on standard cd issues , just got my 1st Hybrid sacd of "Moonbeams" & it really is just stellar sounding if you have the Sacd option .
    I am gonna slowly get into the "better " copies myself .... Great topic !:righton:

19. Restorer

Restorer Forum Resident

20. ziggysane

ziggysane Forum Resident

The Vanguard SACDs (for Sunday and Debbie both) on AP are supposed to be superb.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

To my ears the best-sounding version of the Village Vanguard sessions is the 3CD-set The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961 that was released in 2005:

[​IMG]

Second favourites are these CDs:
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard – JVC (Japan; first XRCD version)
    Waltz for Debby – Analogue Productions (gold CD, not the hybrid SACD)

The AP SACDs have problems, as was discussed in other threads - see also the thread linked in post #3.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I think every Evans collection should include THE TOKYO CONCERT (originally issued on the Fantasy label) - available individually as an OJC CD (very cheaply), or as part of the Complete Fantasy Recordings boxed set. Terrific music, wonderfully natural live sound. I've been revisiting this title this week; every time I return to it I'm more impressed. I think Evans' Fantasy recordings in general get very short shrift, and this one is at the top of the heap. The interpretation of "Up With the Lark" here is stone cold guaranteed to cure the blues, every time.

23. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

I've heard both versions of The Paris Concert and prefer the Blue Note remasters. It's been 10 years though since I got rid of the Elektra versions, so I can't be more specific.

For Bill Evans, most of the current, easiest to find US CDs sound quite good. Some of the earlier Riversides weren't recorded all that well, but my goodness the music is awesome. Perhaps the best recorded of all his albums is "You Must Believe in Spring" on Warner Brothers, which also has great music. The current Warner remaster sounds wonderful and has 3 bonus tracks that are really worth hearing.

- Joe

DigMyGroove likes this.
  24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

A very fine Evans date, nicely captured on tape, and essential for die hard fans, but not one I'd personally put in the very top echalon of his work in terms of the actual playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.