Ghost B.C recording their third studio album. Their latest single Cirice can be downloaded for free

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xcqn, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Ghost actually put an effort into the game. They get it, there is more to becoming a "huge" band besides the music. Even if I didn't like Ghost, I'd give them respect for going the extra mile. Ghost remind me of they old days, in a good way. A little shtick now and again is good for you. It wouldn't work if the music wasn't any good, but it is, so it all works in my opinion.

Dorian75 likes this.
  2. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Caught Ghost last night at the Sherman Theater in Stroudsburg, PA. 3rd time seeing them, great show. Ghost was on stage for about 1hr 45min. Place was packed and full of energy. Was amazed just how big Cirice has caught on, crowd exploded when they played the opening notes to that song. That single really paid off for them. I can't recall if another single has been officially released from Meliora but He Is had the next largest response from the new album. Whole crowd was singing along to that one as well. They have really grown into a great live band. Saw them on the Mastodon/Opeth tour a few years ago and they kinda bored me but the energy is there now along with the showmanship. Papa has much more banter with the crowd and it created a better connection live. Sound was great too, not too loud at all. Paid for the meet and greet, just waiting for the pics to be delivered, having a pic next to Papa and the band in full garb will be awesome! If you haven't caught them, don't miss it!

Clanceman, Dreadnought and Dorian75 like this.
  3. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I didn't know you could pay to attend meet & greet, that's awesome. How do I sign up for that?

4. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

When I bought tix, there were 2 VIP options. One got you some loot and early entry, the other got you all the same plus the Meet and Greet. Got an exclusive shirt, screened poster, tote bag, serving plate, candle, plus the laminate pass. Mind you, it's not cheap, think the M&G package including the ticket was $250 so really depends how much you want to meet Papa. And of course, you're not chilling with the guys backstage, it's a handshake with the guys, exchange pleasantries and take 2 pics, then out the door. But I love the band enough that it was worth it for 1 time. So meeting them plus all the cool loot makes it ok for me, value wise.

Clanceman and Finch Platte like this.
  5. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I guess I must of been living under a rock for the past year or three as I have not previously heard of this band.

On the way home I was listening to the radio and the single From The Pinnacle To The Pit came on. I actually thought it was a new Alice n Chains song. Luckily the station gave the band name.

Needless to say rather than going straight home I stopped off at the 'record' store and have been pretty much listening the album non-stop since then.

Good stuff but I could do without the satanic shtick though.

6. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Ghost will release a new EP soon. They also will be completely reworking the stage show. Think of Judas Priest Defenders Of The Faith level stage setup. Ghost come the fall will be a spectacle to behold, in a good way. I really enjoy this band.

7. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile Thread Starter

Great news!

Clanceman likes this.
  8. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

[​IMG]

Stormrider77 and Finch Platte like this.
  9. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Cool track. They are actually coming back to Montreal this November, I'll have to check them out again.

Clanceman and Stormrider77 like this.
  11. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile Thread Starter

Wow, sounds great! Catchy as always :D

Clanceman likes this.
  12. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Video blocked...

13. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Just got into Ghost via some of the vids posted in the Heavy Metal thread. I see that the US Chris Bellman cut is the superior version of Meliora. Has anyone ordered recently and how is the quality? I've ordered it but I'm dreading it arriving as I'm telling myself it'll be messed up in some way. I've also ordered the 2CD Redux version for the Popestar EP and the bonus track 'Zenith'.

Can anyone advise on the best editions of the first 2 albums?

14. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I respect what you're saying man. Obviously don't want to cross into religion talk on these threads, but thought I'd attempt to respond.

Here's my code or way I deal with all of this kind of stuff.

If my spiritual convictions are my own & solid, then no music can affect that one way or the other. Some people chuckle at my cd/record collection. My Slayer CDs & LPs are stacked on my shelf right before my Stryper CDs & LPs.

My new Ghost CDs will be placed right in front of Graham Nash.

If it rocks it rocks. It's show, its horror, its whatever. But good music & shows are just that.

I won't be attending a ceremony that's sacrificing live animals or people anytime soon. But, I will be pumped to see this exciting & new (to me) band Ghost do their thing, opening for Iron Maiden who employ a born again Christian drummer.

Hope my post doesn't get deleted, but the best part of any good religion or denomination is love & acceptance.

I love & accept all rock that sounds good on my system & entertains live at a venue.

Just my opinion. :tiphat:

15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

@Simon_LDT I had the first LP, sent it back to Amazon. Sounded like it was recorded in a cave and the volume was way too low. Just wasn't at all exciting. Would love to know if there's a better version

I have the CB cut of Meliora and it is one of my favorite LPs to crank, in fact it's going on next after Elton - GYBR finishes up. The drums on Meliora... holy crap the drums. Phenomenal album, and I'll buy whatever they put out next on release day (assuming I know about it, lol).

Dorian75, Simon_LDT and Clanceman like this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

You need Infestissumam like...yesterday.

Plan9 and Clanceman like this.
  17. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

The vinyl? Damn, I should've just got cd & vinyl for these from the start. :mad:

Btw, are "all" the Meliora vinyl cuts Bellman?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Fan 1973

For Ghost I have the CD and vinyl for every album, and for Infestissumam the vinyl sounds better than the CD, not as compressed. It's my fave album by them. When they play tracks off that album live it's freakin incredible.

As for Meliora CB only did the American release i believe. I bought the Swedish limited boxset that came with cards, booklet and 10" single, and it's not a CB mastering but sounds bloody good.

Simon_LDT and Clanceman like this.
  19. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

My Meliora Redux 2CD came today so have been listening to that most of the day. It doesn't sound so bad, a little harsh after repeated listens but not terrible considering the compression. I'm dreading hearing the Infestissumam CD though as the clipping is bound to be bad from what I've read. Still waiting on my Meliora US LP.

Can anyone report on differences between all the different presses of the Ghost albums? From what I've managed to find out on Meliora, the US press is a single sleeve with the booklet inside and the EU/Swedish is a gatefold with the booklet glued in. That sound right?

Anyone with both comment on the art print quality? I love the album artwork, sadly the Redux digibook has very poor quality on the cover (very dark, not much detail).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Clanceman likes this.
  20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I'm getting old (ears are going) or less discerning or both. All these Ghost CDs sound fine to me.

I "do" want Meloria on vinyl: The Bellman cut. How do I know for sure I'm not getting an Eu or Scandinavian?

Just order the reg vinyl from Amazon US, & that's the Bellman?

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  21. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I believe so, yes. Just make sure it says 'Loma Vista' as record label and that it doesn't say import and you should be good to go. I've had to import mine as I'm in the UK.

Clanceman likes this.
  22. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

An update on my search so far:

Infestissumam arrived yesterday along with my Meliora US import. I've also picked up the Infestissumam CD but haven't played it yet. The LP I have is the EU press, which is pressed on red vinyl. Am I right in saying that this is the same red version as the US? Jacket seems to match and has the 2013 date on the rear too.

Sound is good but not great. I will compare with the CD today but on it's own I can still hear audible distortion on the LP. Dynamics seem decent and in places it really sounds quite good but then there are moments, especially when the music gets busy, where it gets very muddy. I swear I can hear clipping on the snare drum and bass guitar (not always but in certain passages), I am assuming this was either recorded like that or introduced during mixing.

Can anyone confirm this on their red copy?

As for Meliora, my fears were confirmed. The record looks visually like garbage! (if anyone here saw my thread on the condition I recieved 'Warp Riders' in, it's not far off that!). Not wanting to admit defeat I cleaned it on my RCM and it still looking grubby so I cleaned it a 2nd time and let it soak in a bit. The LP looked better but still not what a decent clean LP usually looks like. It has a warped edge but thankfully it's not major. However, the surface noise on this is atrocious. Pretty much constant scraping/hissing throughout. For the first few tracks it wasn't so noticable as the music was louder but soon as I got to the interlude track with the harp and the quiet into to He Is, it completely ruined those moments.

Side B was a little better but still very noisy. This is not just ticks/pops but constant loud noise running in the background. Mastering wise, it is superb. Very dynamic and has real slam. I could hear parts which are pretty much inaudible on the CD with all the compression. I'm in a dilemma now though as I really should return this but I worry that I could get another copy with either more warping and/or skipping which users have reported on multiple forums. It being an import doesn't help either.

One other thing: I heard some noticable sibilence during 'He Is', anyone else get that?

Does anyone here have the MPO press and compared to the US?? Reason I ask is because according to the dr database, the EU MPO press has been upped and the DR readings are very similar. I doubt it's the same Bellman mastering, although would be great if it was. I'm contemplating picking it up, although to be honest I don't really want to spend much more right now and the US LP and CD have cost enough for the time being. I'm tempted though, because the album is that good.

What are thoughts on Popestar? I've got the EU press coming, which apparently is 45rpm compared to the US at 33rpm, but more importantly the mastering?? There is no deadwax info on discogs on this as to who mastered or where it was pressed.

23. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Im digging Popestar right now.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. iworkatinitech

iworkatinitech Forum Resident

I'm not home right now but my Ghost vinyl collection is as follows:
    Opvs Eponymovs - 2013 Record Store Day blue/white swirl (Ghost (32) - Opvs Eponymovs )
    Infestissumam - 2013 US Red Vinyl (Ghost B.C.* - Infestissumam )
    Meliora - Deluxe edition with Popestar 12" (Ghost (32) - Meliora )

I will say that the sound/recording is a tad low on Opvs but I have no issues at all with any of these, no noise or sibilance that I can detect. I stumbled into the 2013 Record Store Day edition at my local shop in October of 2016, so I was excited. I will say that compared to most everyone on here my system pretty much sucks so take these comments with a grain of salt I guess, just figured I'd respond.

Simon_LDT likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My red Infestissumam sounds like you described.

Clanceman and Simon_LDT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.