'Ghost In The Shell', Scarlett Johansson, 2017.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Groovy, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

You mean like a ghost in a shell? :D

2. Who says CGI has to suck. Overall it was a great movie and could be enjoyed without any knowledge of the origins. Infact they should have made it a GiTS Stand Alone Complex series.

Great film which shows CGI can be cool and has come a long way. The best parts of the film were scenes/motifs from the original manga. At times there are hints of a modern take of Bladerunner and the Matrix. No surprise the Matrix was influenced by the story. Loved the city views although the big holographic advertisements could have been more believable if they were advertising something instead of showing off cool images.

Some concerns were if it would be "whitewashed" and I have to agree. The cheesy parts of the movie were, excuse the pun, when they decided to flesh out the characters giving them ridiculous story lines. Did nothing, but add lame dramatic elements.

PH416156 likes this.
  3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Saw this one on BR yesterday, amazing! Visually stunning, and a very engaging story. I thought it would be a sci-fi mish-mash but it turned out to be really enjoyable. Even my wife who doesn't go in for this sort of stuff really liked it. Scarlett Johansson was perfectly cast for this role. The extras on the BR showed just how much effort and care were put into this movie. Highly recommended!

4. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Glad you enjoyed it!

It got a totally undeserved bad rap, imo.

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

It did and I don't know why. I've seen movies this year that were not so entertaining as Ghost In The Shell, so well casted and did with so much care and visually stunning. Wonder Woman for example bored me to death.

BGLeduc and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  6. davenav

Some folks feel it should have starred an Asian in the lead role, because it’s derived from an anime.

But, anime characters are usually so non-cultural-specific that I thought it was a silly stance to take. And, I’m a pretty PC kind of guy!

(Loved Wonder Woman, btw.)

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I, too, really enjoyed it. As an oldster, I don't often enjoy newer action SF movies - too flashy, with confusing and illogical plot points.

But, I thought the plot was reasonably adult and logical, the effects were quite well done, and the acting was very good.

Maybe that's why it wasn't a hit: it was too "adult" to appeal to the younger demographic!;)

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I’m surprised at all the positivity here. It was ok.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Was it a flop ?

10. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Imagine Robocop, but instead of killing the CEO that arranged his murder he killed the CEO that arranged his mur...... OK. It’s Robocop in Tokyo. With sexier robots.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup - commercially and with critics.

$110 million budget, made $169m worldwide - only $40m in the US...

alexpop likes this.
  12. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I'm with you, although I found it barely ok.

A straight forward predictable (imo dumb) plot - maybe they were trying to fit in too much from the source material.
    No real acting skills required of Scarlett, just dead-pan delivery, since she's basically playing a machine and wears one expression the whole time.
    Also, because you are not sure who is a machine and who isn't, no real connection for any of the characters.

Not that I particularly like blood-splatter - I was kinda surprised by the lack of it here considering all the gun violence, again making the people indistinguishable from the robots.
    Maybe they were after that ambiguous blade runner feel, so much other stuff was taken from that film.
    Scarlett is reduced to a barbie doll with a form-fit rubber suit, existing in a very noisy video game (action movie) environment.

a flop
    dreck
    2 stars

Stormrider77 likes this.
  13. Most reviews I've seen were positive. The real negative reviews seem to come from people who either are mad its not exactly true to form of the GITS universe or people who dont seem to know what they were watching. The film is pure CyberPunk.

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell (2017) Impressions : Aesthetic in bulk • r/Ghost_in_the_Shell

user reviews seem to give an honest estimation of the film over "critics"

GITS 2017 is currently 6th best selling film on Amazon! • r/Ghost_in_the_Shell

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah ..after seeing it in the theatre bought the DVD ( well cheap...loads out there). The problem was the subtitles s lot of Japanese spoken I'm sure that harmed the sales.

15. dougotte

You're probably right. I was surprised they didn't have Kitano speak English. I think he's pretty fluent (but might be wrong about that).

16. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I had read the bad reviews but picked this up on sale anyway.

I enjoyed it way more than I would and consider this one of the better 3D transfers.

BGLeduc and davenav like this.
  17. dougotte

I imagine it would be fun in 3D.

18. davenav

You’re entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

Highly underrated, I say.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.