"Ghostbusters" Original Soundtrack remaster w/Bonus tracks out tomorrow (Feb. 28)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewi, Feb 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewi

andrewi New Member Thread Starter

Who you gonna call?

Sorry... I had to. All Music has listed the Ghostbusters OST with bonus tracks for release Feb. 28. Sadly it lacks any info about mastering engineer, and it's pretty vauge about what the 'bonus tracks' are. Listed is the original album running order, with Disco Inferno tacked on the end. Also, the last track is a 6 min version of 'Ghostbusters' credited to Ray Parker Jr.

Anybody got any info on this release? I haven't listened to this in a while, but I remember liking the first release. May be worth picking up?

2. Chris Malone

Chris Malone Forum Resident

I find that the original CD boasts a clear and airy sound that is not heavily peak limited. Can't imagine the new CD sounding better with prevailing mastering attitudes.

What's disappointing is that Elmer Bernstein's score isn't seeing publication. Originally, the score was to play a larger role and Bernstein recorded "beat" music for sequences later tracked with songs -- in particular "Cleanin' up the Town." An example of his original beat music can be heard in the exchange between Ray and Zeddmore as they drive the Brooklyn bridge and discuss the end of the world.

3. andrewi

AllMusic has added some info about this title.

The two bonus tracks are indeed the full 10+ min. Disco Inferno, as well as a 12" single remix of Ghostbusters main theme. This new package is mastered by Mark Wilder, which should be a good thing. :righton:

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

The original CD is great! I look forward to the new one for the bonus tracks. Mark Wilder at the controls is reassuring as his work is great. I was listening to an old Top 30 USA transcription and Ghostbusters had just entered the Top 30 (Radio & Records). This was in August, 1984. CBS Radio-Radio was the syndicator. Talk about ESP as I was listening to this in the morning when I was dressing.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

The original CD is great! I look forward to the new one for the bonus tracks. Mark Wilder at the controls is reassuring as his work is great. I was listening to an old Top 30 USA transcription and Ghostbusters had just entered the Top 30 (Radio & Records). This was in August, 1984. CBS Radio-Radio was the syndicator. Talk about ESP as I was listening to this in the morning when I was dressing.

6. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I remeber this soundtrack fondly, I got it as a casette when the movie first came out. Look forward to the remaster. I think my favorite track is "Magic." The Soundtrack album on a whole is a good mix of songs, despite what this review says:
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:w90xlfaegcqr

Takehaniyasubiko likes this.
  7. Chris Malone

The film mixes of some tunes are different. "Savin' the Day" has some instrumentation that was dialed out for the album version. This and "Cleanin' up the Town" are also heard as instrumentals in the film. Curiously, the mixes of these songs heard in the end credits suite are mono with reverb ambience. Wonder why.

I have the extended "Ghostbusters" track on a cassingle from 1984. My mother wouldn't let me purchase the album at the time -- so I settled for the song, which I loved as a six year old.

Any reports on the new CD compared with the old?

8. Chris Malone

9. andrewi

I've finally got hold of a copy, its a US Import, so I guess there's nobody pressing them here in the T dot. $16 friggin dollars...grumble....

Anyway a v. nice amount of tape hiss! Mark Wilder has done a nice job I'd say. It has more of an open soundstage than the previous release, but it also has a very different 'feel'. I'll have to a/b some more, but needless to say the new release is not a bad thing.

Packaging is nice, they stayed faithful to the orig. cover, the back has a nice new FBI Warning :( but it's otherwise fine. There are some ok liner notes, but I question if the writer has even listened to the soundtrack. They proclaim the new release a 'brilliant remaster', and go on to mis-name the Air Supply song as "I Can't Wait Forever". If you've even heard the song, you'll know its a ballad about waiting FOREVER, blah honestly I hope it was a typo, because its a stupid mistake.

One dissapointment, the disc itself is silkscreened red with the GB logo and yet another massive FBI warning. I was really pulling for a black disc with the logo, no writing, but sadly its not.

Finally, as for the inclusion of the two 'bonus tracks', I'm on the fence. The 6minute Ghostbusters dance mix is fun to have for completist sake, but not really any improvement (or departure from) the original. The only nice thing about it, what I would swear to be a digial click on the title track (at the beginning, 8 seconds in) is missing from the dance mix.

Though I really believed that the inclusion of Disco Inferno was a worthwile effort, once listening to the album in full, it feels very out of place. Though it was a fond and funny moment in the film, it just doesn't work in the space of the soundtrack. All the other songs are very 80's, synths and what not, but Disco feels strangely out of place, tacked on the album's end. The only nice thing about it, now we have a well mastered version of that particular song :p .

Wow, thats a really long assesment. Jeez, sorry for wasting everyone's time :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.