Give My Regards To Broadstreet Dvd?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by antonkk, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Forgive me my ignorance, but is "Broadstreet" released on DVD? I always loved that movie (though I know I'm in minority) for it's amazing english aura as well as for Macca's great music. This is a DVD which I'll get right on sight!

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It better be a budget release if it has any chance of selling to anyone who saw the movie.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It will be available for under US$10 at many of the discount retailers. I would call it the worst musical film of 1984, but fortunately for Sir Paul, Sylvester Stallone made "Rhinestone" with Dolly Parton that year. :) I would say it was the worst performance by a musician turned actor that year, but fortunately for Sir Paul, Prince made Purple Rain that year. :)

Regards,

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I saw BROADSTREET with my then-girlfriend at the Cinerama Dome the day it premiered, a rainy day in Los Angeles. We shared the theater with about 11 other folks.

DVD? I have the soundtrack CD. That's where I draw the line. :laugh:

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I have the old LD, and I must admit it has not gotten that many spins.....maybe one! If I recall, the band doing "So Bad" was pretty good.

7. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I have the LD too. But there's no chapters! I hate that. I only watch that rehearsal scene in the warehouse (or whatever it is). Its been a long time since I watched even that. Overall, a dreadful film.

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Sad but true. I did buy a VHS copy for $7 or something some years back, and I think I'll stick with that. It has a few mildly interesting scenes (Ringo can be amusing, particularly when he's plowing through the studio's percussion instruments trying to find some brushes while Paul is singing), but little else to recommend it ...

9. xios

xios Senior Member

My Beta Hi-Fi copy still smokes!.. I enjoy the film, but the script shoulda gone through at least one rewrite before going in front of cameras. I thought the "got locked in the shed overnight" bit was weak...

10. ascot

ascot Senior Member

As I've stated a few times I actually do like the album, but the movie isn't so hot.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I just received my review copy and will present some basic impressions when I watch it. Although I've owned THREE - count 'em, three! - copies of the album, I've never actually seen the movie. Wish me luck!

And what's the deal with this cover art? Who approved IT???

[​IMG]

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

YIKES! (re: coverart). Let us know how it SOUNDS, and if there is a decent 5.1 mix. Good luck, and watch it with a sense of humor. Some of the music is actually pretty good.

13. Oatsdad

Well, I KNOW the music - like I mentioned, I've owned many copies of the soundtrack.

No 5.1 mix here - Dolby Surround 4.0...

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

:confused: I wasn't insinuating that you did not know the music, just that, unlike some, I actually like some of the music........ ;)

:-jon

15. Oatsdad

Gotcha - I misunderstood.

The DVD's pretty average. Actually, it looked better than I expected, but I expected it to look terrible, so that doesn't say much. Fairly clean print, decent picture - nothing special but not bad. The sound's pretty lackluster too - generally decent/good, but nothing exceptional.

As for the movie itself, I liked the bits with the band in the warehouse, and a few other moments weren't bad, but some of those production numbers... :hurl:

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

sounds great....I'll get a copy if its less than $10!!

17. Oatsdad

18. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"No More Lonely Nights" is still a good one...

The movie was a true stinker tho.

19. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Colin, excellent review. I have to agree with almost everything you said except the comments about the 'Ballroom Dancing' segment. I always liked this part of the film. It reminds me of the way Absolute Beginners was filmed. At least in that film, they stuck to one theme. This movie is all over the place in a bad way. I'll still be picking it up to see my favorite parts.

20. hoover537

hoover537 Senior Member

[​IMG] I saw a sneak preview of the film before it was released to th public. I won tickets from a radio station in Detroit WRIF. I still have the really cool invitation. I remember dosing off it was so boring and the Band On The Run sequence woke me up.

Attached Files:

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Though I recognize a bad film when I see one (and this one is pretty bad), I still have a fondness for it. Call it a guilty pleasure, but I DO like this movie. I guess it's the songs on the soundtrack that I really like, and yes, I have the old shortened LP soundtrack as well as the expanded CD version.

When I was into LDs, I picked this title up used, and have enjoyed it a few times over the years.

I picked the DVD up today. Nice to see it in widescreen.

22. deepsky4565

deepsky4565 Forum Resident

This movie is no great one, but I think the critics love to shoot down big stars like the Beatles. I just watched it, and its a naive little movie written by an amateur. But I've seen far worse by professional movie makers and they didn't get half the bashing this movie got. The music is really great, and the picture is very good. Don't be afraid to rent it if you're curious.

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Macca's my absolute favorite singer songwriter. Not actor. I can't watch that movie again. I get embarrassed for him. I can't believe he's allowing it to get released on DVD.

The soundtrack is mediocre - I skip through it to hear the three or four original songs (which are excellent, as usual).

JEFF!

24. Oatsdad

But that doesn't explain why so many of us who love Macca and the Beatles hated it. The fact it's a REALLY BAD movie DOES explain it, though!

And that "Silly Love Songs" bit doesn't help... :hurlleft:

25. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.