Glen Hansard is the man

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wbhendrix, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can't believe there isn't more praise on this forum for Glen Hansard. I think he is one of the most underrated and passionate performers touring today. Maybe I glorify him for his outstanding van morrison covers but I remember watching him open up for Eddie Vedder in 2012 and I swear I nearly cried from his shear passion pouring through his music on stage. Anyone else have the same adoration for Glens work?

amoergosum and Emmett66 like this.
  2. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I know it got slammed by a good number, but "Once" is one of my favorite movies ever. His work in that film is just outstanding.

3. wbhendrix

Right! I think it is either a movie you get or you don't...

*watching now*

4. Here's something I posted 2+ yrs ago here.

As thrilled as I am for Glen's success over the past few years, I'm sad that this has meant less and less time for The Frames. Who knows if we'll ever see another album from them.
    The first time I saw The Frames was downstairs in The Middle East in Cambridge, MA. They started into 'Revelate' and were so taken with the huge cheer (from the smallish crowd) that they stopped, thanked everyone then tore into it again.

I've seen him with The Frames, Swell Season and solo 12 or 13 times since '99.

wbhendrix likes this.
  5. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

but if more of us celebrated him, he wouldn't be so "underrated," and you might not adore his work as much...

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I saw Glen and Marketa Irglova perform a few years ago. I don't know that I've ever seen a performer who is as warm as him; he just creates a great feeling in the room.

wbhendrix and Emmett66 like this.
  7. Not much of an autograph but I got it.

[​IMG]

levi and wbhendrix like this.
  8. wbhendrix

I just finished watching once again...

That movie is pure joy for any music lover... It's awesome from beginning to end!

Emmett66 likes this.
  9. INSW

INSW Senior Member

It did? I don't think I've ever read a negative review of that film.

Emmett66 likes this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Once is a great movie... Just love it...

11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

really? i thought it sucked.

Joewp likes this.
  12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I'm a big fan...Glen Hansard is incredible.

13. amoergosum

I own the Blu-ray...love the movie.

14. amoergosum

Lollapalooza 2014:

15. amoergosum

"Glen Hansard and most of his band from The Frames end their Metro set by going into the audience and busking the folk classic "Passing Through". Then, as they were playing, the entire band started moving down and out of the building onto the street, taking the entire audience with them. That's a first! Fantastic night!"

16. amoergosum

17. amoergosum

Glen Hansard walked by, saw an a capella group and joined them for a song...awesome >>>

"Glen Hansard sings The Aul Triangle on the streets of Dublin with A Cappella group from Trinity College Dublin."

dianos likes this.
  18. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Get "Rhythm And Repose" 24 Bit on HDTracks ASAP!

SammyU likes this.
  19. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

In answer to your question - a definite "No" from me

20. Irish begrudgery is alive and well. lol.

GuinnessDan likes this.
  21. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Saw him on that tour as well for the first time and was highly impressed. Actually before the show he did this outdoor public free show in chicago and got a taste there. It made me not want to miss his opening show before Eddie.

22. Django

Django Forum Resident

Glad to see him doing well because he put in years of ground work around Ireland before the swell season took off. Kudos.
    :righton:

23. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I admire a lot of Irish artists and groups - Martin Hayes, Sonny Condell, Rory Gallagher, U2, Van Morrison, The Bothy Band, Planxty and many others.

You asked a straight question and I gave you a straight and honest answer. No hard feelings with just agree to differ.

Minorityshareholder likes this.
  24. He (and The Frames) toured their behind off here for years with little to no payoff. I've seen The Frames 10x in The States alone. I'd prefer it were The Frames that got the success vs. Swell Season / Glen solo but I'm pleased that Glen has brought everyone along for the ride. Several Frames songs were played when I saw Glen solo.

25. calfeerider

calfeerider Forum Resident

I have not heard any of the Frames stuff but Glen is one of my favorite artists currently.
    He sure brings a lot of emotion forth which adds to my enjoyment of his songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.