Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Eerie and Christ were already in Samhain when Rubin signed them. Then the name was changed to Danzig and Biscuits was brought in. Rubin was the one who wanted an all-star band and only wanted to sign Glenn, but Glenn demanded Eerie be in the band and so Rubin let Glenn have the band as he wanted.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ok, but I'm just relaying what Eerie Von told me.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

He might be right about the band not meant to be permanent. I have no idea what Glenn's plan was. I was just pointing out that Eerie and Christ were already in the band.

4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I hate the sound of Nuclear Blast. Skeletons is Nuclear Blast. The last Slayer album is Nuclear Blast. The first Blues Pills album is too. The CDs all sound like hell to me. I shudder anytime I see a band I like being released on NB.

kannibal, Brenald79 and GodShifter like this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yeah I forgot about that. I agree and can't handle listening to most of the recent NB albums.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  6. Nice Marmot

How did you have the occasion to talk Eerie Von?

As I recall, Danzig was an admitted bit of a fluke (and I remember that coming from Rick Rubin) so much that the second album was a real surprise. The first album was the result of the interest stirred up by Metallica. Rubin just wanted to record with Glenn, probably at the same time when Glenn was starting to notice an increase in interest in Misfits and Samhain. The whole thing was purely opportunistic. As far as we know, Glenn might have faded into obscurity if it weren't for Garage Days because he was obviously hard to be in a band with.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Agreed. The unfortunate thing is, Tommy Victor has been the guitarist for Danzig (the band) the longest. Longer than John Christ. :cussing:

ifihadafish, johnny q and GodShifter like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This was very early on, maybe just after the s/t album had come out and they were touring for it. I want to say it was at a show my band opened for them, Kyuss and Soundgarden or White Zombie or maybe?. I had actually met Eerie perviously at a Samhain gig so we kind of knew each other. Forgive, me as it was almost 30 years ago so my memory isn't exactly the greatest, but that was the gist of the conversation.

punkmusick and Nice Marmot like this.
  9. Nice Marmot

So I'm looking at Danzig IV because I've never had a copy and the cd has a hidden track. Freaking 90s. I hate hidden tracks.

GodShifter, punkmusick and Rolltide like this.
  10. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I have nothing against Mr. Victor, I even saw Prong back in the club days of their first album a few times. I just didn't like his sound a year or so ago in Philadelphia. Between Glenn's bad voice and Tommy's tone over playing I walked out.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

"Last Ride" from the new album has been released. I like it a lot more than the first single. Can't wait for the album.

Greenalishi likes this.
  12. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Was this posted here? Cause this is awesome.

13. 500Homeruns

New album comes out today. I received an email from HDTracks and it is available as a 24/96 hi-res download. I am curious how it is (sound wise).
    I think this might be the first time anything Danzig has released has been available in hi-res.

14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

It's on HD Tracks? Man, I haven't heard the HD Tracks version, but I would already say don't waste your money. I've heard a pre-release and this is possibly the worst recorded album from a major(?) artist that I've heard in a number of years. It seriously sounds like a boombox placed in a room, turned up loud, with Glenn in another room singing along to it. Who signed off on this crap? A shame, because what I heard was some pretty cool tunes.

15. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

new album is very meh

johnny q likes this.
  16. 500Homeruns

That's kinda what I was thinking. :cry:

17. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I am sorry to be so blunt, but his playing on Danzig's albums flat out sucks! Horrible tone, timing and out of tune bends. Terrible.

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I guess whatever Mr. Victor lacks in tone he makes up with being a professional who is punctual, takes direction, offers no advice to management, cooperates with tour/studio hands, takes his pay and goes home.

19. TEKWRX

TEKWRX Am I Demon?

Yeah, not a fan of Tommy Victor's playing with Danzig, but I dig early Prong and having met him a few times he's a really nice guy.

As for the new album, I think it's pretty great. It's a shame about the production but I'm enjoying spinning the vinyl today. Really wish I was able to go to the Blackest Of The Black festival this weekend :confused:

Mr. H and mdm08033 like this.
  20. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I guess. A "good soldier."

mdm08033 likes this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Now Prong has a new album out July 28.

22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Well put sir.

23. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

From reports the HD tracks are same as the CD only lower in Db.
    I love this album, and it sounds great. You wanna hear a badly recorded LP, listen to the last Depeche Mode. It's excruiating. This one as tons of dynamics due to the low-fi minimalist recording.

punkmusick, Brenald79 and Mr. H like this.
  24. Londonmay1

Londonmay1 Active Member

The sound on Black Laden Crown is definitely an acquired taste. I happen to dig it, especially on vinyl.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I like that record a lot too

Greenalishi likes this.