Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My copy is not from 1988. The catalog number (CK 65649) isn't that old. I'll have to see if has mastering credits.

What is the catalog number for the Diament version?

2. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I have the 1994 'American' re-issue of Danzig-Danzig. The mastering is credited to Barry Diament.

3. KeithH

Thank you. That's the version I have.

4. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

I also have a couple of Slayer releases that were remastered in 1994/1996 with no change in credits. They both have 1994 on the cd and a cross with 1996 written underneath the clear cd tray. South of Heaven had a 'digital remaster' sticker when purchased new.

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

Danzig are pretty cool. I like the album with Dirty Black Summer & Left Hand Black, those are pretty cool songs. He's got a weird Jim Morrison crossed with Ian Astbury thing going on with his voice though, I could never really get past that. I do think they are criminally ignored though, they have some really strong material.

Greenalishi and ian christopher like this.
  6. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Danzig II was a good follow-up to the S/T release from 1988.

Greenalishi and ian christopher like this.
  7. KeithH

So my 1994 Def American issue may not actually have Barry's mastering.

Could someone with the original 1988 CD of Danzig post EAC peak levels?

Greenalishi likes this.
  8. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

That would be Danzig III: How the Gods Kill. Great album. One of my faves. :cool::thumbsup:

Greenalishi likes this.
  9. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

The Slayer, Black Crowes and the Danzig releases have been repressed many times in the last 15+ years as Def American/American switched distributors a number of times. Since the early 90s, they went from Warner to Sony to Universal back to Sony again. System of a Down was the only group that I can think of that remained with Sony when they moved to Universal. The catalog bounced around with every move and got "reissued" a number of times. I *think* the original Sony issues of Slayer might have been remastered. Although the Crowes and Slayer catalogs were actually solicted with sell sheets when they were released through Universal, I think only the Crowes and maybe Danzig got remastered. I can't keep track of this crap anymore!

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. motorcitydave

Yeah, it's mind boggling and crap.

Greenalishi likes this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've got the Misfits coffin box, and based on that, they're really not that similar to Danzig the metal god. More like Generation X from Hell.

12. motorcitydave

I would agree with that for the most part.

13. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

You totally just quoted Sugar Ray... :sigh:

but half a point for it being their first and only decent album...

Greenalishi likes this.
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I love Danzig II...to me that is a metal/hard rock classic as almost every song on it is an amazing track. Discs I, III & IV are good (with great moments)....but after that I sort of lost interest as he went sort of industrial for awhile. I had hear he went back to metal but by then I had moved on...although the first 4 are in my collection (and always will be).

15. motorcitydave

That's fine. Those are the best sounding as well.

16. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

I'm a fan of all of Danzig's work and can't wait for the new album!

And while the albums after 4 get a little patchy, each has a few good tracks that are definitely worth it. Only blackacidevil was industrial, i really don't think any of the others ones were, despite what some claim.

I've only gotten the chance to see him recently, Oct 08 and Fun Fun Fun Fest last year, but each time he played songs from his entire solo catalog and they were incredible shows. He could still belt 'em out and the whole band was solid. I feel very fortunate that he's still out there doing what he does best. :evil:

17. motorcitydave

Cool! Yeah, the sound quality of the last 5 is hit or miss. The new one is ok. 7 and 8 are terrible, imo. 5 isn't bad. 6 is alright too. That one is an HDCD.

18. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

This was my opinion when I first got into these 2 bands, there was such a drastic change in sound. One song I thought linked the 2 was Possession with it's gang vocal... still is one of my favorite tracks on the album.
    Then I discovered Samhain and it truely is the missing link. It fuses the aggression of the Misfits' punk with the control of Danzig's metal. It is this Samhain stuff, rarely in print, that is the gem of Glenn Danzig's career.

19. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Danzig III: How The Gods Kill. I'll have to revisit the other three early Danzig albums, it's been a long time since I've played any of them.

Greenalishi likes this.
  20. highfidelity81

highfidelity81 Forum Resident

New album has got some good tunes on it. It's his best in awhile. I don't think it's as classic as the first four, but production is miles above "Circle of Snakes"

Greenalishi likes this.
  21. motorcitydave

I concur. :cool::thumbsup:

22. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

Tool, Danzig and Motorhead are my favorite bands to listen to in the gym. The first 3 Danzig albums are absolute classics! Essential metal.

Greenalishi likes this.
  23. hal9000

hal9000 Forum Resident

I went to a bunch of Danzig shows in the late 80s/early-mid 90s...powerful stuff. I happened to run in to Glenn at a popular metal club Riki Rachtman used to run on Highland in Los Angeles called the Cat House. Glenn had some high heeled boots on and was maybe chest level to me (I'm 6'5"). I couldn't figure out how he looked and sounded so big in videos and on stage. One of the big time vocal talents to come out of metal imho.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Damian72

Damian72 Formerly Suede Pickle

Picked up the new disc today. I really dig most of the tracks. The centerfold shot of Glenn with the stripper (at least I assume she is) cracked me up. He's so goofy macho. These kind of cases have to go though. I hate having scratches on a new disc.

Not sure about all you but 4p has some of my favorite Danzig tracks on it.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Forum Resident

The new album is killing me... ordered the fanbox and it has been delayed at least a month. Some of the reports even say it will be as late as August-September... hope my ebay order stays solid! I cancelled my order for the 7" when I ordered the fanbox so I didn't even get that. Sucks. I broke down and ordered the digipak w/ autographed cover from newbury comics online... hopefully I'll get that copy soon!!

Greenalishi likes this.