Glenn Danzig - No Threads (Now The Glenn Danzig Thread)! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by scuzzer, Apr 7, 2008.

1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ah yes...forgot about those! Lost Tracks is indeed good stuff....

Greenalishi likes this.
  2. mattdy

mattdy Forum Resident

Does anybody have any links to any good interviews with Danzig? All the old local fanzines used to just bust on the guy. There were never really serious interviews with him. Bandmates tended to not be very kind in their interviews, and the New Jersey local fanzines always had interviews with anybody who was in the Misfits for more than 5 minutes. There was a recent article about Danzig and the headline was pretty much that if Danzig played Wolverine as was once planned, he'd play the character a little differently. He didn't say it the best way possible.

I have to admit I like the Misfits/Samhain era much better than the solo stuff but that's my personal preference. That being said, I love the title song to 'Less Than Zero'. You have to respect somebody who's had Roy Oribison and Johnny Cash sing songs that they wrote. People think I'm joking but the only great living performer left that should do a Danzig song is Tom Jones. He could belt out Samhain's "Let the Day begin".

I've talked to people who know him. Years ago when I was making pizza in college I mentioned the Misfits to a co-worker about something I heard and the person said "what makes you think that?". They guy knew Danzig and would be very much part of the Misfits legacy in the coming years. I didn't realize many, many years later just how much a part of it he was. It was great hearing stories about those years and how Glenn progressed and how the solo stuff came about. Not always the same as what I read now on the internet but that's how things go. Most of my knowledge of the band is from people who grew up with them or were part of the same New Jersey scene around the time of the Misfits and Samhain.

I think the pictures of him buying kitty litter and stuff took a life of their own because the guy seems to be very much larger than life and everyone expects him to be 24 hours of Lucifuge.

Last year at one of the festivals the singer of the band ALL did a send up of Danzig and Danzig was not amused. From how the story goes, Danzig offered to talk with him to straighten things at one of his shows in Texas out but he said no. Instead, he put a song up on youtube called "Astro-Apology".

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

All of that was because Danzig came to Fun Fun Fun Fest last year in Austin and behaved horribly. Like a whiny, spoiled diva that demanded french onion soup and tarps on the side of the stage and space heaters to keep him warm. In Texas. Just Google it, the whole story's out there. The audience was promised a set of Misfits songs and we got a full Danzig set and 2 Misfits songs, then dark stage, b/c he came out 45 MINUTES LATE. Sound curfews apply to you too, Danzig. The only ones that suffered were the fans.

Don't get me wrong, I'm easily the biggest fan of Danzig's music (all eras) that I know but him as a person seems temperamental and self-important. It bums me out to know that and watching his behavior at the festival tarnished my love of his music a little. I'll still belt it out alongside him to Lucifuge, but still.... :shake:

Greenalishi likes this.
  4. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Agreed Inertiatic-Wrist,

that Texas gig did not go over well at all. In the same vein (no pun) a few years ago Deicide ,lost some of its fans over an anti-Christmas show. The story goes that the band members wanted to stay home and celebrate Christmas w/ their respective families.

As stated previously, some of these guys (posers) are into the 'dark' side for monetary gains only.

5. Deez

Deez New Member

Danzig, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh my childhood. I haven't listened to him much in the last 5-8 years BUT i still consider Lucifuge a 5 star classic with its blues/metal/etc.... fashion. That being said 3 and 4 are also must owns if you even remotely like the man and to be honest i also have a soft spot for 6. 7 & 8 are complete trash though (both 1 1/2 stars and 1 star respectively IMO) and his semi new one, a TRUE hybrid album (not just talk, it really does sound like a mix of the old with the new. Something Glenn has been claiming since 6 or 7 and finally accomplished with 9) is pretty decent.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  6. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I was hoping someone here can help me out with Danzig III LP deadwax and sleeve/cover info. Ebay was flooded with a counterfeit pressing recently and it may not be the first, so I am looking for the correct and complete info, as much as possible, so I can avoid these fakes.

I got some deadwax info from a seller recently that does NOT match the info on Discogs. But seeing as Discogs is user submitted info, It's not always accurate. The pics looked "more legit" than the "new imports" so I'm hoping to get as much info as I can so I can pick up a legit pressing. Thanks!

7. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

No one has any helpful info?

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I came in very late to Danzig. Like, this summer late. I've heard the Misfits were more punk and I'm not interested in that if true. I enjoy the first four very much. I think How The Gods Kill is my favorite. I know there are big fans here. What is the best one after the first four and why wasn't Danzig every given thought when the Doors reformed. My goodness he can channel Jim Morrison.

9. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

His latest is the "next best" to the first four, but still is missing something (Rick Rubin). Sadly, while there are some good riffs or ideas in everything inbetween, the middle albums also contain some nearly laughable moments and generally just sub par output and execution, Especially compared to the first four albums. That said I think there are some great songs on Danzig 6, but the production kind of ruins it for me.

Another thing you may want to check out is the Lost Tracks. I don't love it, but there some decent tracks and some out takes from the first 4 albums.

10. JA Fant

IME, nothing beats those 1st 4 albums!

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

:agree:

12. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

13. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Well again, there's the '93 EP, 'Thrall: Demonsweatlive' I like it. Also, disc 1 of 'Live on the Black Hand Side' (released in '01) is good too if you like the first 4 albums. And of course, 'The Lost Tracks of Danzig.' Disc 1 for the first 4 album material, but disc 2 ain't bad at all.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

thank you!

15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

and you!!

16. motorcitydave

Yeah well, that's what's called a rider. Wasn't it an unseasonably cold nite? I believe Glenn was under the weather. I think you're being a bit harsh on the guy. But, this is nothing new to my ears and eyes. I'll take Glenn with all of his perceived faults than Jerry Only and the current incarnation of the Misfits. And yes, 'The Devils Rain' is a very loud and compressed cd.

17. motorcitydave

You're welcome! :cool:

18. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Finally got my hands on a copy of S/T on LP and I have to say I am very impressed! I was expecting something nearly identical to the CD (one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger earlier), but it sounded like a big improvement in openness, detail and even a bit extra in dynamics to me. I need to go back and give the CD a fair shake, but man, I'm really loving it and glad I finally bit the bullet.

19. JA Fant

Any of you guys know what Danzig is doing currently?

20. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

He just finished a big tour with Doyle, the Legacy tour, I believe. There is a new covers record coming out soon(?). I think it was supposed to be out the end of summer, but I haven't heard anything about it except some hype from the man himself a few months ago.

21. JA Fant

Thanks! kannibal.

22. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

I do not believe that the info on Discogs is correct. I have been meaning to ask the editors of the release to see what they think. Anyway, here is my deadwax info.

DFI 92 4 512270 A1
    DFI 92 4 512270 B

These are machine stamped and not etched. Since this was pressed at DFI, I am inclined to believe it to be legit. Also, the song titles are above the spindle hole. The sticker with the album title is actually on the cover and not on a protective sleeve.

23. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Thanks so much for this info. Were there two original pressings? One for UK and one for Europe? I have seen a pic of one that had the common "made in the UK" sticker from the 90's on it, but most do not.

24. jrmitchell72

jrmitchell72 Good at bad decisions

I think that there were. One that was pressed by Phonogram and the other by DFI. It looks like Def American used DFI for other releases too, http://www.blackcrowes.us/Discography/SubmenuC.asp?InfoID=156
    I would guess that Phonogram is the UK release and DFI is the Europe release. I am going to add a new Discogs listing for the DFI HTGK later this week. I also need to add a Lucifuge release, since my copy is different from the one listed.

25. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

Man. Great info, and making me feel a lot more comfortable tracking down a copy of the LP. Thanks.