Glenn Miller-A Legendary Performer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Apr 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

If you already have a Glenn Miller greatest hits compilation and want to go further but still are not a devoted fan yet, or for devoted fans, I do recommend the 2 LP set "A Legendary Performer" on RCA (it has been reissued on CD, but I found out that the essay in the liner notes are abridged on the CD and the packaging isn't as good compared to the vinyl version), which is in their original mono, a 2 LP chronological compilation of many of his hits taken from various radio transcriptions and you'll hear lots of great interviews with Glenn so that you get to know more about the man and his music. I recommend this without reservation. Get a used copy of the 2 LP set for the nice packaging plus it is much cheaper than the CD, there are many copies of this set that exist.

BeatleStair likes this.
  2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Good advice, Bradly.
    I have a 50's era set Glenn Miller "Limited Edition Vol. II" which is spread over 15 45's. I've seen this set on LPs as well. All are from radio transcriptions, the liner notes say they're mastered from original glass and wax lacquers.

I wasn't expecting much but I was thrilled with the audio quality. Simply gorgeous.
    I'd bet the "Legendary Performer" LPs were cut from these master tapes.

Other Miller LPs to look for from the mid to late 70's is "The Complete Glenn Miller", issued in several volumes of 2-LP sets. They're the studio sides mixed with unissued tracks. Sound is excellent, not overly filtered and it sounds like they dug out the original masters for these.

Dan C

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm happy with the complete Glenn Miller Box Set on Cee Dee...anyone else have this?

4. BradOlson

The transcriptions compiled for Legendary Performer weren't issued until the LP set was released in 1974 but they did use original sources. I'll have to look for the Complete Glenn Miller LP sets as well.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow, obviously there were a whole lot of radio transcriptions of the Miller band out there at one time. The "Complete Glenn Miller" set I own is Vol II, and I don't know how many volumes were in the series (though I suspect it was only two). I've been on the lookout for Vol. I and I'll start looking for the Legendary Performer set as well.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Dan C

6. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I don't have it. How long ago was it issued?
    BMG revived the Bluebird label a few years back and they've done some superb work. The handful of Bluebird CDs I have are pretty purist in their transfers. There's at least one Glenn Miller CD from the label that I know of.

Dan C

7. BradOlson

Actually there are 9 volumes of the original vinyl series of "Complete Glenn Miller" 2 LP sets. The CD boxed set of "Complete Glenn Miller" came out in 1991 and that has 13 discs including the original 9 volumes and more.

8. BradOlson

BTW, even if you have one of the boxed sets, keep the 1985 CD of "Unforgettable Glenn Miller" if you have it, as the sound is very good (especially for material this old) and is a great 16 track disc to introduce people to the music and is the best we'll get on CD.

9. BradOlson

Dan, the ultimate release of "Legendary Performer" is the 2 LP set with a nice liner note book inside the jacket. The CD reissue of this collection of both LPs on 1 CD came out in 1991 and the liner note booklet isn't as "complete" as the vinyl version.

10. BradOlson

Michael, even if you have the "Complete" boxed set on CD, you must get "Legendary Performer" as well for an excellent introduction to the radio transcriptions of Glenn arranged chronologically.

11. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Thanks, I prefer the vinyl anyway. I'm hoping to do some record shopping in Denver this weekend, it'll be on my "look for" list.

Dan C

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oops, my bad. What I meant was the "Limited Edition".
    I have the 45 set Vol. II of that. I've seen Vol. I and II on LPs in the past, packaged in some weird padded stuff.

"The Complete" version I own is Volume VIII, 1941-1942. Unfortunately I've had a hard time tracking down other volumes.
    Do you have that CD set? How's it sound?

Dan C

13. BradOlson

I don't have the Complete Glenn Miller CD set and haven't heard it. OTOH, I've actually heard no-noised Glenn Miller in general before and it doesn't sound good at all (I have no knowledge that this set is no-noised or not but there are no-noised Glenn Miller CD reissues out there).

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey Bradley, I'm a Modernaires fanatic and the Boxset has over 50 tunes with the Modernaires! A great set indeed! A nice outakes disc is also included...

15. BradOlson

You will even hear interviews with Glenn and members of his orchestra if you get Legendary Performer. Much of this material is unavailable anywhere else.

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I believe the Bluebird reissues done by BMG used CEDAR pretty extensively. That being said, I have at least one Glenn Miller and a Benny Goodman compilation and both sound pretty darn good. Several altenate takes of Sing Sing Sing on the latter which really cook.

Ere

17. BradOlson

Yes, the more recent Bluebird remasters use CEDAR extensively as Bill Lacey is known for this.

18. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Thanks for the recommendation Bradley. I will search for one.
    I have a 2CD best of/hits RCA set (can't remember the exact title). It's about time I get a Mono LP collection. I am ashamed to even admit owning the "PURE GOLD" LP (electronically reprocessed travesty).

19. BradOlson

For the best mono CD collection without any NR whatsoever, I recommend the 1985 "Unforgettable Glenn Miller" CD although it only has 16 tracks, the 16 tracks are well selected. It has to say 1985 in the copyright info. The most comprehensive mono collections on LP are the 9 volume Complete Glenn Miller or the harder to find mono version of the 1968 "Unforgettable Glenn Miller" Reader's Digest LP boxed set. The 2 CD set you probably have is "Essential Glenn Miller" which does have CEDARing applied.

20. BradOlson

The CD of Legendary Performer does have some CEDARing applied to my knowledge as well and the LP version sounds lifelike.

21. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

That's the one. CEDARing galore.
    I'll search for the other LP recommendations too. Thanks again.

BC

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Bill Lacey is NOT touching those jazz masters for the new Bluebird. I own a recent "Fats" Waller and a Benny Goodman comp and both of those sound brilliant. They're new remasters, sound like they're from very good sources and there is little or NO N/R going on there. Trust me. :)

I don't know about the current Bluebird Glenn Miller 'cause I don't own it.

I'm at work but later when I'm home I'll post a mastering credit.

Dan C

23. BradOlson

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I found it!

That didn't take long at all.
    I stopped at Wax Trax in Denver and a set was waiting for me. I listened to two sides tonight and I really like what I hear.

My copy looks unplayed, easily a NM.

Thanks for the heads up Bradley!

Dan C

25. BradOlson

You will enjoy the portion of "Legendary Performer" when RCA announces the "gold record" for Chattanooga Choo Choo. BTW, the RIAA didn't award Gold Records until 1958 when Perry Como's "Catch a Falling Star" was certified a million seller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.