Going back to analog...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tanksta, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanksta

Tanksta Member Thread Starter

Well I grew up spinning records, as I am approaching 50 years old. I can still remember playing my Mom's Beatle 33s when I was in 1st grade back in the early 70's. I see that a few of my friends are playing vinyl and I have been bitten by the nostalgia bug.

That being said, I am going to purchase a turntable in the near future. I will probably buy a used one to start, so I can begin to build my music collection. I know Craigslist and ebay are good places to start. Being so far removed from the scene, what brands/models are decent? I don't want to break the bank on the first one, but want to be able to find parts if need be. What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Tank

2. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

If buying from the places you mentioned, I recommend a name brand with belt drive for simplicity. If buying a totally restored unit then a direct drive would be fine. I would look for an arm that accepts 1/2" mount carts as opposed to fixed or P-mounts.

Tanksta and BuddhaBob like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You might consider a Dual from Bill at fixmydual.com. I have bought three Duals from Bill over the years and love them all. Turntables are hard to ship and you have to hope your eBay seller knows how to pack one to get it to you in one piece. Bill knows how. When you buy from Bill you're getting a new vintage turntable that's fast and easy to set up and plug in and play. Bill will mount a cartridge for too. I love the direct drive 701 and use it the most but my 1019 and 1229Q idlers get playing time too. You can give Bill a call or email him and tell him what you're looking for and he can help you decide what Dual might work the best for you.

The FRiNgE, Robert C, tmtomh and 3 others like this.
  4. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

I had a Dual 505 a very long time ago, it was a nightmare, hated the damn thing, silly
    headshell arrangement,

Tanksta likes this.
  5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If you're looking for an entry-level, high quality table, the U-Turn Orbit is almost universally praised. Many upgrade options are offered and it's ready to use right from the box. It's handmade here in the Boston area too!

http://uturnaudio.com/

[​IMG]

6. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

DON'T buy an entry level table! I don't care what others say. Look around for a gently used Rega P3. Should be $400-500. If it seems like a lot of money, then keep saving until something comes along.

jeff

7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The 505 was not the greatest Dual ever made. I love Duals but would not own that model.

Spin Doctor and Tanksta like this.
  8. Slick Willie

OP, ya' might want to list your budget, I assumed that it was around $50 with another $50 - $75 for cart/belt and any other related items. If not, you will get suggestions all over the place. Just my suggestion.

coltlacey1 likes this.
  9. Tanksta

I'm thinking $150-$200 for starters. I'm sseeing some pretty decent ones being listed locally in that range. Found a Dual 1019 for about $180. Sound about right?

10. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I'm very satisfied with my Audio Technica AT-LP120. Search this forum for that model and read about others that have commented about that model to get more opinions.

JamesD1957 and Tanksta like this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have to second this. I know it sounds like a real eye-roller to say there aren't any good new turntables that cost under $1000, but when you see how incredibly flimsy a $500 table is one starts to understand.

12. No need to buy a used turntable. There are plenty of new turntables available at decent prices. Stay away from anything Crosley or other similar cheap-o designs. The AudioTechnica turntables are a good investment. If dubbing to digital is one of your plans, you can get a whole advanced software and turntable package from DAK .com . I've been using their products for years. A helluvalot better than Audacity and easier to use.

Tanksta likes this.
  13. Slick Willie

I am currently spinning my Yamaha P-350 belt drive ($25 estate sale) with a <$50 cart. It is fun/lively/musical. That is entry level. I also have a Music hall 2.2, I consider it a well made table and a nice (possibly best) entry into the audiophile market. After that, IMO, one needs to look at the $1500 and above market.
    Just depends on where the OP wants to start, hate to scare him off!

FJosh, Dennis0675 and Tanksta like this.
  14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

A hard truth people can't believe until they get that high dollar table for comparison. It truly is night and day difference.

G E, timztunz and The Pinhead like this.
  15. Tanksta

Meh, I was in the pawn business for 20 years, so I have no qualms about buying something used. Like I said at this point I just want something to get me spinning. Eventually I will probably step up and upgrade to a high end unit. Heck I don't even have any vinyl yet...lmao!

timztunz and Slick Willie like this.
  16. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

I would say direct drive is your best bet in your price range. Belt driven tables can have speed issues rather easily, old belts, debris, etc and often times take some $$ to get working properly. Something quartz locked will eliminate headaches, especially since you're just getting back into it. At this point in your venture, simple and stable is your friend. Denon made some excellent direct drive tables and can be had for under $200 all day. Just ensure the needle/stylus is in good working order. Honestly if you can find a B&O with a good needle they are excellent sounding and simple to use. They run quiet too.

Most shops will check out needles right away under a scope.

I might stay away from the Sl1200's on the used market as a "newbie".....DJ favorites and it might have been beat on in da club!

Robin L and Tanksta like this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah don't worry about buying used, especially if you don't mind some tinkering. Just look for quality. The 1019 that you referred to is a GREAT table, but will probably require some cleaning, lubing, etc, unless the person who you're buying from has been using it regularly. But not worries. Lot's of folks on this forum, and others, can help you as much as you need.

Realize that you'll also need a phono pre, either stand alone, or as part of a receiver/integrated amp.

And yeah, records.

Good luck!

18. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

What some members call a "Starter" turntable is all I will ever need. While I respect their opinions, they must have far more money to play with than me because its hard to imagine spending what I'd spend on a refrigerator on a TT. I can buy a lot of beer for that fridge, and a lot of vinyl (mostly used) with the $1250 I didn't spend on a TT.
    I'm also spending only $4-$10 on used vinyl, and playing my own collection of vinyl bought new when it was in that same price range. If you are going to be spending wads of cash on new vinyl, then knock yourself out on a high end TT.

Slick Willie, troggy and Tanksta like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

20. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I just can't find a refrigerator that sounds as good as my turntable.

I came close once, but it didn't have a detachable headshell, so I passed.

21. Tanksta

This is my pre-amp/amp set up. Had them since the 90's. Also have the matching dual deck cassette and 5 disc changer.

Preamp - Mitsubishi M-PF5351
    [​IMG]

Amp - Mitsubishi M-A5361
    [​IMG]

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

A Dual 1019 is a wonderful table when properly working, but almost certainly a "Craig’s List special" will need a lot of restorative work due to its complex network of levers and gears and stuff. After 45 years, the old grease turns sticky, causing the linkages to bind. If you’re mechanically inclined, go for it, otherwise don’t go there.

BTW $180 sounds pretty high unless it has been overhauled, in which case $180 is a bargain.

http://up.picr.de/11768294fk.jpg[​IMG]

23. GyrodecMan

GyrodecMan Active Member

As long you can go to shop & hear a turntable new or used working & sounding nice , go for it.

It has to be said buying a very good turntable makes the fuss about vinyl all the worthwhile .

24. Slick Willie

As an owner of many older tables, now and in the past, I have found belt drives the most stable and easiest to work on. I always clean, lube, replace the belt right away. Never had a speed issue with one, direct drives, well...when there is an issue I have to seek outside help, and that is not available in my area and pricey when I do locate help.
    I own a B&O, not one I would recommend to a newbie...or anyone really. And when it's time for a new cart on a B&O......jeez!!!!

25. Slick Willie

I assume that is without cart. And even if it is with one, I find owners grossly under estimate hours and it will need another one very soon. Yes, Dual is a good brand, can be finicky/expensive to get right if not refurbished, but nice all the same.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.