Going Quadraphonic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Welcome, Quad Bob. Nice to see you here.

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

OK Boys, calm down! Everyone's experience is appreciated here.

There are folks who think BMW's are a waste, there are those that think they are the pinnalce. Opinions are opinions. More than likely, Mike had a "bad" unit, and he is just telling us about it.

QuadBob, on the other hand, probably knows more about these Sansui units that anyone on Earth, including the Sansui folks, so he rightfully can defend the unit.

All in all, your results may vary. My results, as stated, we awesome. And, after my unit was overhauled/rebuilt by QuadBob, the results were astounding.

However, not everyone is going to spend over $800 to restore a 30 year old receiver, so to each his own.

Those that do reap the benefits, and we must remember, to many those benefits are an unneccessity.

To me "I Like It!" :D

3. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

I'm a huge Sansui enthusiast and I just wanted to mention to anyone on this board that is interested in Sansui- check out the site: www.audiokarma.org There is an Exclusively Sansui section there (Moderated by 'Yours Truly'), actually anyone interested in Vintage hi fi (as opposed to modern day cheap black plastic junk) should find AK a nice place to hang out at.

Another Sansui must-visit site:

www.sansui.us

Regards,

B/F

4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

All my stuff is modern day, but there's very little black plastic. It's not junk, and it sure wasn't cheap. ;)

Regards,
    Geoff

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Dean,

I just had a Q8 player rebuilt by the above "QuadBob", so as soon as I get some time, I am going to do some of the piles of Q8s and Q4s that I have been accumulating off of eBay for the past year. When I get one that I am happy with (or excited about) I will ship one your way!

Your cost, however, will be an honest, non-suck-up opinion!

:-jon

6. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Jon:
    I'd be honored to "review" your work! Looking forward to it!

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Dean,

I checked my "list" and noticed that I sent the "Apple" disc and a few others that I consider my "later" projects. Did those seem to have to much NR? (Honesty, please)

8. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Uh-oh, is Gary getting bored with his Mac?

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Oh, never ever! :eek:

I'm just trying to see how many stereos I can stuff into one room! ;)

Seriously! I want it all and I want it now! :D

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Its a disease Gary! We've all been infected with incipient gadgetitis :) !!! :help: Did I hear someone mention a 12-step program???

11. Gary

Yep. It's a 12 step acquisition program..... pretty sure about that..... :sigh: Just a few more to go....

:D

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

13. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

:bigeek:

Absolutely amazing. I didn't even bid on it because I knew it was waaaay out of my league. I'm sure the guy who bought it is going to enjoy it for a long time to come.

14. Gary

Bringing the thread down to my price level...

Anyone ever hear of a Marantz 4220 Stereo 2 + Quadradial 4 receiver? Is it really a Quad receiver?

Quadbob mentioned the Marantz 4400 as one of the better Quad receivers. Is this it's "little brother"?

Gary

15. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Re: Bringing the thread down to my price level...

Gary,

The Marantz units are very good, but they don't have built-in SQ decoders; instead they require a module which goes into a slot on the bottom of the unit. Without the decoder, they have only basic RM (QS) decoding capability. Also, you will need to buy an outboard CD-4 demodulator for CD-4 discs (like Muscle of Love. ) I always thought the Marantz receivers were good, but by the time you bought all the necessary hardware, you had spent way more than the price of a Sansui with all the decoders built-in. Like the Sansui units, they also command high prices on eBay. Some folks think that the Marantz receivers have a warmer, almost tube-like sound, but I'm not sure I'd go that far.

quadjoe

16. Gary

17. Quadbob

Quadbob New Member

Quad Experiment recommendation for Gary

Hey Gary,

If you'd like the recommendation of a devoted Quad "Trekkie", besides going whole hog with a fully restored and modified Sansui QRX-9001...see recent Ebay price for admission!:D

If you're goal is simply to get your feet wet, and be able to check out some "true" quad recordings like the Alice Cooper.......then go for a

Sansui QRX-7001.

Here's why:

1) 35wpc X4 channels is adequate for most applications.
    2) It's the most common QRX-*001 unit...Sansui sold plenty of them
    3) Common = cheap........good ones go on Ebay for under $200
    4) It has the 2nd generation Variomatrix boards.......identical to the QRX-8001/9001 and better than anyone elses decoder/synthesizer up to and including Dolby Prologic II!
    5) It has a built-in CD-4 demodulator......which while not the best (see Sansui QRX-9001), is better than many.....and easy to setup and use.
    6) If you really like it, and want to keep it forever........I restore them for about half the cost of a QRX-9001.......and the Vario-matrix boards alone can be modified and upgraded without shipping the whole receiver around the country!

Bottom-line........most quad bang for the $$:thumbsup:

As to referring to quadraphiles as being like "Trekkies"........just remember Star Trek is a fictional possible future!
    Quadraphonics is a REAL historical fact
    Modern Surround Sound......whether Dolby Prologic II, or discrete 5.1 is the actual present........
    and in every way other than digital algorythms totally based on "Quadraphonics"!!:D :D :D :D

We do share the passion........and like "Trekkies"....we might just be looking at the REAL future!!:thumbsup:

18. Gary

Ahh, great advice! The Sansui QRX-7001 looks like it's up my alley! :thumbsup:

I've always thought Trekkies were incredibly devoted (I know some!). It looks like Quad brings out the same passions!

Thank you for your post. Appreciate it! :)

.......... now the hunt begins ............

19. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Gary,

These were the 4 channel systems developed by Sansui (QS), Columbia (SQ), and JVC (CD-4) for 4 channel delivery of a signal on a "compatible" stereo vinyl LP.

To hear each type of LP decoded properly, you would need the corresponding circuitry in your amp/receiver or as a separate component.

Each format had it's advantages, but QS and SQ were "matrixed", so there was never a way to decode them totally discretely. CD-4 was a true discrete format but required a specific type of cartridge for playback, since the two rear channels were modulated into the 20kHz-40kHz audio range.

Join up at QQ and you should find lots of info there.

BTW - Here are some scans of the QRX-999, the badest, meanest Sansui Quad receiver ever made!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Gary

Wow! :eek:

21. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

I think I may still have the old Kenwood Quad reciever in the basement. It's mid 70s era. It worked great the last time I used it. That was a long time ago. I couldn't throw it away. Not after what I paid for it.
    I'll look. If it's there I'll make someone a reeal good deal in that other folder here.
    The Teac quad reel to reel might be down there too.

Here's a good one. I think I have a quad, 8 track too.

22. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have a Lafayette LR-5000, which contains the SQ-W decoder with full wavematching logic, the 2nd best SQ decoder short of a Fosgate. It also has QS (not as good as the Sansuis, and the plug-in CD-4 module. I have the tape out from my Yamaha DSP A-1 amp fed into the 2-ch tape input on the Lafayette, and then routed the 4-ch tape out into 4 channels of my 6 ch analog inputs on the Yamaha. This has the result of bypassing all of the ****ty amplification of the Lafayette, and using the Yamaha's sound. Only the decoder is now in the chain. So it really does't matter about anything on these old receivers besides the decoders, since you can bypass all the other electronics & use your current, almost surely better, equipment. The same thing would apply to separate decoders that do not have amps. I now hear my numerous quad LPs in a quality that I could only have dreamed of in 1976!

24. vex

vex New Member

That's funny cuz that's exactly what I was thinking abouth SH collectors...

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.