Golden Age Of Italian Progressive Rock

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by old school, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

This is outstanding! I didn’t listen to the whole album, but I heard enough. I just bought it. Thanks for sharing. :righton:

yesstiles likes this.
  2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

That's quite some list! I've never heard the Campo di Marte, and of the rest, there are VERY few which I didn't care for.

Two immediately come to mind which I really think are worth checking out:

Il Paese Dei Balocchi - s/t - it's otherworldly, and pretty unique sounding also. I can't think of any other Italian Prog album which FEELS the same. There's one track on Alluminogeni's Scolopendra which comes real close with its ghostly, hallucinogenic organ sound, but as entire albums, the two aren't even close.

Metamorfosi - Inferno - I don't know what to say about this one except that much of this is high-energy, with lots of wonderful synth action and a fine vocalist.

I bet there are others I'd strongly recommend, but I'd have to think about it.

EDIT: HA!! I just now saw the above post about Il Paese Dei Balocchi!

3. Mirror Image

Cool, thanks for the feedback. :righton: I’ve heard of Metamorfosi, but I’ll have to listen to their album Inferno on YouTube to see whether I’d want to buy it. Yeah, I’d love to get more recommendations from you. Take your time. No rush. I’ve got a few RPI albums to listen to right now. ;)

no.nine likes this.
  4. no.nine

@Mirror Image, here are some others. I've already mentioned some of these here but I'm bringing them up again to specifically recommend them to you.

These aren't all "conventional" Italian Prog albums, so it will depend on whether or not they're likely to fit into your taste brackets.

First, there are the two albums by Pierrot Lunaire. The s/t for a folky take on prog, some of it being quite pastoral, and Gudrun for an avant-garde approach. It's a completely unpredictable, wild ride through lots of different musicscapes (I don't think that's really a word :laugh:). It's masterfully done IF it's the type of thing which would appeal to you.

Then, there are two (of three) by Il Rovescio Della Medaglia - Contaminazione, which is already an acclaimed classic, and their debut, La Bibbia, if you like the idea of a prog approach to hard rock. This one's rougher, and it's essentially a guitar rock album. But not an ordinary one. There are lulls and explosions, stretches of pure sound, and riffs in prog-friendly time signatures. It's rarely championed, especially against Contaminazione, which is a true masterpiece, but I feel it's unfairly dismissed.

OK, as a "bonus track", I've just remembered one as I'm sitting here typing: Raccomanda con Ricevuta di Ritorno's sole album Per... Un Mondo di Cristallo. (I think they did a reunion album, but I haven't heard it, and I don't trust reunions anyway.) With the exception of one track which unexpectedly veers off into jazzier territory, this one IS more conventionally Prog in its approach. But I think it's among Italy's finest.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    granata and Mirror Image like this.
  5. Mirror Image

No. Mine. Thanks so much for the feedback. :) I’ve heard good things about Il Rovescio Della Medaglia and you’re certainly not the only person to recommend Contaminazione to me. Really appreciate you taking the time to indulge me a bit.

6. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Terrific collection. Other must have’s and good to have’s:

Cherry Five. Must have, plain and simple.
    I Giganti – Terra In Bocca. Good album. Seems like my early King Japan CD is defective though.
    Maxophone – Maxophone. English version is quite good, but original Italian is a must.
    New Trolls – UT. Terrific.
    New Trolls – Searching For Land. 1st half is studio – superb. Live half I can live without.
    New Trolls Atomic System. Terrific.
    New Trolls – Concerto Grosso N1. Terrific, but I drums solo dates it quite a bit.
    Rovescio Della Medaglia – Contaminazione. Based on life and works of J. S. Bach. Must. Never heard English version and not in a hurry.
    Il Volo – Essere O Non Essere? – Jazzy. Superb. Never heard S/T.
    Alusa Fallax – Intorno Alla Mia… One long track. Stunningly gorgeous.
    Opus Avantra. – Introspezione – Donella Del Monaco. Opera meets avant-garde. Unique. RIO.
    Corte Dei Miracoli. I honestly don’t remember much about it.
    Picchio Dal Pozzo. Canterbury comes from Italy. Must.
    Latte E Miele – Papillon.
    Latte E Miele – Passio Secundum Matheum.
    Alphataurus – Alphataurus. Must have.
    Acqua Fragile – Mass-Media Stars. Inspired by Genesis.
    Le Orme – In Concerto. A few moments of brilliance.
    Le Orme – Verita Nascoste. Great listen.
    Le Orme – Florian. Great.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

sentinel90125 and Mirror Image like this.
  7. Mirror Image

Thanks so much! I’ve heard of most of these bands surprisingly. The New Trolls are ones I see on must-have lists along with Latte E Miele. I’ll have to check out Cherry Five. Again, I’ve read nothing but good things about it. I really appreciate these recommendations. :righton:

8. no.nine

Glad to be of help! :)

Of @olegrayman's list, I'd like to particularly second these:

Acqua Fragile – Mass-Media Stars - Incredible melodies, to the point of earworms (for me, anyway). Their s/t debut is also good, but personally, I'd start with MMS.

Il Volo – Essere O Non Essere?

Maxophone - s/t -
    the Italian version. (Never heard the English.)

Cherry Five - s/t - strong Yes likeness here, but without falling into "clone" territory. Strong melodies here, too.

Picchio Dal Pozzo - s/t -
    I don't think the Canterbury influence is as strong as others say, but it does occupy its own space within the Italian Prog rock scene. A pretty solid album which has its playful moments, and one track has a beautiful extended space-out with hovering synths on top. I didn't like their follow up, Abbiamo tutti i suoi problemi, because it moves much further into RIO territory, which is an area I don't generally care for. If you do, though, the album is highly recommended by many.

The two mentioned Latte E Miele's - Papillon and Passio Secundum Matheum are top shelf.

And I have to say that I wasn't crazy about Opus Avantra. I found them to be kinda disjointed, with some beautiful music interspersed with periods which sound to me like weirdness just for the sake of being weird. For avant-garde in the Italian Prog scene, I rate Pierrot Lunaire's Gudrun much higher. But if you like that one, it might be worth investigating Opus Avantra next.

I think you'll be busy for awhile. ;)

olegrayman and Mirror Image like this.
  9. Mirror Image

10. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

I'm just now beginning to explore the world of Italian prog. It's only taken 45 years. I look forward to perusing this thread and thank Mirror Image for leading me to it. I'll take notes and prepare questions. I've started with PFM's Per un Amico, which has literally been playing non-stop for about 3 days now. Great stuff! Ciao!

100423, Mirror Image and SirMarc like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Excellent to hear, sleepjar! :righton: This thread contains a myriad of information. Many knowledgeable members here.

12. Mirror Image

Probably the last couple of Rock Progressivo Italiana albums I buy for quite some time as I have a great collection now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sentinel90125, yesstiles and no.nine like this.
  13. Mirror Image

I will say it’s a bit difficult to find the New Trolls albums for good prices. I’ll keep looking. I’d like to at least get those Concerto Grosso albums (I believe there are three total).

14. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Have you checked out either Syn-phonic or The Laser's Edge for the New Trolls titles? They shouldn't be expensive there at all. Years ago, I bought Concerto Grosso I and II as a single disc. I don't know if that version is still in print but I just checked The Laser's Edge and they have Concerto Grosso I for $11.40. The second Concerto is a lot more poppy but has a nice Mediterranean feel. III was a really strong comeback album, closer in style to their earlier albums. But the first one is still the most essential, IMO.

Mirror Image likes this.
  15. Mirror Image

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help. :righton: I’ll check out The Laser’s Edge website.

16. no.nine

My unsolicited opinion is that you shouldn't pay too much for the New Trolls releases. Their albums, even the really good ones like CG1 & UT, are generally unfocused. It's like they didn't know what kind of band they wanted to be. That's not to say there wasn't good music spread out over their albums, but for me, their usual lack of cohesion on individual albums prevents them from being a top tier band. I know many will disagree, but that's how I feel.

I will also say that probably their most consistent album is Atomic System. And even on this one, they couldn't resist closing with a ballad!

17. Mirror Image

Thanks for the feedback. I did some listening of their album Concerto Grosso and wasn’t too impressed, so I’ll pass on them. Honestly, with the addition of the three recordings I bought last night, I have enough Rock Progressivo Italiano albums to listen to for awhile. I’ll probably buy some more albums around Christmas time (I usually get a check from my parents since they never know what to buy anymore).

no.nine likes this.
  18. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Many have already been mentioned, especially Maxophone and Picchio Dal Pozzo. I would also recommend Giro Di Valzer by Arti + Mestieri, Etna and Apoteosi.

19. Mirror Image

Thanks for the feedback! :righton:

20. Mirror Image

Le Orme: Uomo di pezza
    Le Orme: Felona e Sorona (Deluxe Edition --- VERY RARE!)
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: Storia di un minuto
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: Per un amico
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: Photos of Ghosts
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: L'isola di niente
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: The World Became the World
    Premiata Forneria Marconi: Chocolate Kings
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: self-titled
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: Darwin!
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: Io Sono Nato Libero
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: ...di terra
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso: Canto di primavera
    Arti & Mestieri: Tilt
    Museo Rosenbach: Zarathustra
    Quella Vecchia Locanda: Il Tempo Della Gioia
    Quella Vecchia Locanda: self-titled
    Osanna: Palepoli
    Il Balletto Di Bronzo: Ys
    Biglietto Per L’inferno: self-titled
    Semiramis: Dedicato a Frazz
    Celeste: Principe di un giorno
    Cervello: Melos
    Franco Battiato: Sulle corde di Aries
    Franco Battiato: Clic
    Il Volo: self-titled
    Perigeo: Genealogia
    Reale Accademia Di Musica: self-titled
    Goblin: Too many to list (around 12 in total I believe)
    Locanda Delle Fate: Forse le lucciole non si amano più
    Campo di Marte: self-titled

Newest additions:

Maxophone: self-titled
    Metamorfosi: Inferno
    Latte E Miele: Passio Secundum Mattheum
    Area: Crac!
    Area: Maledetti
    Area: Caution Radiation Area
    Area: Arbeit Macht Frei
    Alphataurus: self-titled
    Arti + Mestieri: Giro di valzer per domani
    Raccomandata Ricevuta Ritorno: Per...un mondo di cristallo

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    granata likes this.
  21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Even if you didn't care for Concerto Grosso, I would still give the Atomic System album a chance. It's really great and one of those Italian albums I wouldn't want to be without. If you don't like that one, then you definitely don't need to go any further with New Trolls.

I don't know if they've been mentioned much, but have you checked out Delirium? Their three 70s records are all fantastic, IMO. I'm a sucker for that romantic Mediterranean sound and these guys did it so well. There was a 2 CD set that compiled all three records along wih non-album singles that wasn't very expensive, if I remember correctly. Likewise, the sole Samadhi album is a big one for me, much for the same reason. Very romantic, laid back but with enough surprises to keep you on your toes.

Mirror Image likes this.
  22. Mirror Image

Thanks for the feedback! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.