Goldenear Triton 5 vs PSB Imagine T

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Suppertime, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suppertime

Suppertime Member Thread Starter

I think I've narrowed it down to these two floor-standers. Interested in any comments on either or comparisons between the two if you've happened to spend time with both.

They will be going into a larger basement room approx. 33x19.

VPI Prime
    Parasound Halo

2. I can't speak for the T, but my T2's are very nice and I preferred them to the Golden Ears when I was audioning speakers. I believe both are good speakers, well made, from reputable companies so it is hard to make a bad decision. The X2T are also getting good reviews for lesser money although I have yet to hear them FWIW.

3. Suppertime

thanks for the feedback. need to spend a day at each dealer store doing some listening.

4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

i found the triton 5 to be too smokey and veiled- overly smooth with less than exciting dynamics. these are more of a HT speaker. The PSB Imagine T are very detailed and dynamic but take some time for the edges to come off. Of those two I much preferred the PSB and owned the T6 for about two years.

5. Suppertime

Thanks. Exactly the type of feedback I've been looking for. I keep seeing occasional comments on the Tritons being fun speakers but not necessarily audiophile level for critical 2 channel listening.

6. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

I found the Triton 7's to be dynamic, detailed and quite worthy of any audiophile for $1400 a pair. I was able to compare them with Harbeth Compact 7es3 and X-over modded Magnepan 1.6's. To be honest, I regret not buying them.

7. dneid

dneid New Member

I enjoy both speakers, but I bought a pair of PSB Image T6s (Image line is discontinued now). I have to say that I really enjoy the PSBs. REALLY enjoy them.
    Dale

Ivand likes this.
  8. Suppertime

PSBs did not do it for me. Think I am going with GoldenEar. May try some KEF q900's to be sure but pretty sure it's going to be the GE's

9. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I have the PSB Imagine 2Xt (my first pair of towers) that I bought a year ago and love them.

10. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

But I never heard a GoldenEar speakers. Prob I should.

I'm surprised people are not pulling the trigger on the Focal Chorus series. Huge discounts available. I haven't had the chance to listen to them either (could't find a dealer in Houston when I was searching for speakers).

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

they aren't that great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.