Good software program for typing inserts for CD-Rs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I am making a lot of CD-Rs these days, and I don't want to handwrite information on front and back inserts. Can anyone recommend a good software program for typing up inserts? I don't care about flashy graphics, as I feel they look cheesy. I just want to simply enter text.

The only program I have tried thus far is Memorex LabelMaker PRO, and in my opinion, it sucks. Now, I will say that the box says the program is only compatible with Windows 95, 98, and NT, and I am running Windows ME. Perhaps that would explain why the program is a bit sluggish and is a general pain to use. However, I am skeptical about that. It's just not a user-friendly program.

I figured that if I had PowerPoint on my computer, I could probably use it to set up the text based on the positioning of the Memorex inserts on each sheet. Unfortunately, I don't have PowerPoint at home. Anyway, are there any good programs out there? I like the layout of front and back inserts on the pages from Memorex, but I hate the software. I imagine that if I get a new program, I will have to get new inserts. Is this true? Thanks in advance.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've been putting mine together strictly in Photoshop. Just feels natural to use something I'm already familiar with. (It also saves me importing very large photos--I have done some very nice LP reproductions.) I have also used older versions of MS Publisher. I believe there are also templates at some of the websites for word processors.

Some of the CD burning packages (buy a drive, get a few software titles bundled in) have a CD labeler. I think both Nero and Easy CD Creator both have labelers...I don't keep track because I don't use them.

3. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

CD Box Labeler Pro. Great little program!

4. KeithH

Rudy,

Thanks. I have a basic version of Roxio Easy CD Creator, so I don't have the labeling feature. If I click on the labeling icon when the program launches, I am taken to a window that advertises the "Platinum" version for $100. I'm not spending $100 just to label jewel cases. That's money that could go towards music! ;)

KBanya,

Could you please tell me more about CD Box Labeler Pro? Is it sold through most stores, such as Comp USA, Best Buy, or Circuit City? Do you have a web link? Also, do they sell inserts to go with the program (i.e., back inserts with spines and front inserts)? Some of the programs I have seen have inserts sheets that are actually adhesive labels. In other words, you would stick a label on the spine of a jewel case. That's not what I am looking for. I want to be able to type actual inserts.

5. KeithH

KBanya, I did a search on Yahoo! for "CD Box Labeler Pro" and found a link that looks good. Here it is:

http://www.sonicspot.com/cdboxlabelerpro/cdboxlabelerpro.html

Unfortunately, this site says the program is only compatible with Windows 95, 98, and NT, not ME. Hmmm. There is a demo version that I can download. Anyway, is this the program you are using?

6. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I just use Neato / MediaFace:

http://www.neato.com/

You can make CD-R labels, tray inserts and booklets.

7. KeithH

ascot, thanks. I'll check it out.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I use MediafaceII. It works for all my needs.

I had a look at the new version Mediaface4 and it resembles the Memorex software.:( Anything to make it easier for the novice...:rolleyes:

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

www.surething.com

Try the demo. Love it, or just dump it. I use it constantly. Very robust, but easy too.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Keith,

I too run Windows ME (I was starting to think I'm the only one in America :)) and I use the Memorex LabelMaker Pro. Once I got the hang of it, I can do it OK. I find the inserts that you get to be pretty good. Let us know what you decide on, as I'm out of blanks and nows a time to try something new.

11. cberry

cberry New Member

12. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Anyone have any luck with Paint Shop Pro? I usually use MS Publisher, but I would like to make artwork that if I were to trade with someone, I could email it over etc. MS Publisher isn't capable of converting to a jpg etc.

13. KeithH

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will print this thread to have your recommendations for future reference. Comp USA will only take the Memorex program back for a direct exchange (i.e., for a new copy of the same program). I'm not really surprised. Well, I didn't want to buy another program, and before doing any free downloads, I decided to play with Microsoft Publisher last night. I like the Memorex inserts, and by measuring their position on a page, I was able to make a template on Publisher. It works great! :)

If anyone has Publisher and would like to try my template with Memorex inserts, let me know. I'd be glad to e-mail the template to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.