Good Sounding Floor Standing Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rhythmdoctor, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey everyone. It's time for me to upgrade my speakers. Currently I own these Fisher Heritage Speakers from the 60s:[​IMG]

I really like this style from the vintage look to the size. I'm looking for something similar, at least in size due to the way my setup is. But I want something that is newer with better sound. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay a fortune but I don't mind ponying up $500-$800 for great sounding speakers.

Thanks!

2. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Klipsch Cornwalls.
    You can find a decent used pair in your price range.

jerol

russk, Dennis0675 and McLover like this.
  3. Rhythmdoctor

Thanks! Those look perfect. What year were these made? I like the wide ones, don't like the skinny floor standing styles.

While I'm at it, probably could upgrade my receiver, would prefer something with tape cassette (no need for CD player). I play vinyl about 99% of the time.

4. Rhythmdoctor

The older ones seem to be the ones in my price range but my fear is that I'll be getting something similar to what I have now. I want something a little newer, maybe from the 80s. I want speakers that sound great.

5. Rhythmdoctor

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

KG3 is decent, but is no Cornwall. Cornwall way better. Klipsch Chorus or Chorus II is a good Cornwall alternative (replaced the Cornwall in the line for a few years)

7. Rhythmdoctor

But newer Cornwalls seem to be very expensive.

Are these KG3 speakers better than my Fisher Heritage?

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Likely, but to get full bass, a sub is needed. Heresy is easier to find used and is between the KG3 and a Cornwall.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. Rhythmdoctor

What I don't like about the Hersey is that the top is slanted and I like to keep stuff on top.

10. Rhythmdoctor

I'm dumb when it comes to equipment. If I get a subwoofer, where do I hook that up?

avanti1960 likes this.
  11. Rhythmdoctor

So I have another issue I'm trying to troubleshoot. When my receiver is in Stereo mode, only one speaker has sound. If I switch to Mono, both speakers have sound. Part of the reason I wanted to upgrade my speakers is because I thought the one speaker was bad. Turns out that is not the case as I have already purchased and hooked up my new KG3 speakers and getting same issue. I changed the speaker wire to Speaker B (from A). I've tried basically everything.

Thoughts?

12. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

My local Craigslist has three or four listings for Cornwalls.
    Heresys are only slanted if they have the slant risers.

jerol

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Do you get sound in only one speaker when using the radio section of your receiver? If so, you should check the turntable inputs by switching left and right while in stereo mode. Be sure to turn all equipment off before making switch.

14. Rhythmdoctor

I don't have the radio hooked up. It's an old receiver that needed a wire antenna.

I think it might have something to do with the ground wire coming from my turntable? Is that possible? When I have it in Stereo mode, the speaker that does not work has a loud hum. The ground wire is very frail and I've had to re-insert it several times. Last time I did, I was bending it all to hell and it doesn't look very stable.

15. Rhythmdoctor

Already purchased the KG3s. Probably jumped the gun.

16. Rhythmdoctor

Sidenote - now that I know my Heritage speakers work fine, and their bass response is better than these Klipsch KG3s I just bought, I think I may hook up all four. The Klipsch have better highs and the Fishers better lows. Would this be a decent alternative to getting a sub?

17. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I can't stand placing things on top of speakers.

Bolero, avanti1960 and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Rhythmdoctor

Ok, so I CAN listen to radio even without an antenna. And to your point, I CAN hear in stereo with through both speakers. I think my ground wire from my turntable is out of whack.

Here's a stupid question - do I even need the ground wire?

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

You're making it sound like a connection issue. I would disconnect the wires and check there condition. when you hook them back up you could reverse right and left to check the channel.

20. Rhythmdoctor

Good thing we're not married. We don't have a lot of space, so our speakers double as furniture, unfortunately.

21. Rhythmdoctor

So it's definitely something exclusive to the turntable because I'm listening to the radio now with no issue.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

Without the ground wire you'll likely have severe hum.
    If the ground wire has one of those small spade lugs, you could remove it and strip the wire back to expose clean wire and hook to the receiver's ground connection.

23. Rhythmdoctor

Yep, that's exactly what it is. One of those tiny little spade lugs. I was thinking of upgrading my turntable to this anyways. Maybe it's time!
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-DP300F-with-2M-Red-Package

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Heresy III Floorstanding Speaker. I find they like power and rock music.

Ntotrar likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I am married (19 years in September) and have three sons. I don't know if you are my type but I do have a room for my primary system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.