'Goodfellas' Actor Sues 'The Simpsons' Over Mafia Character

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mmars982, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

that was Morrie, not Frankie

" nice game , nice ****ing game " ( when Pesci shot Spider )

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I always thought that character looked more like Robert Powell from the 1970's.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He's right that the character is clearly supposed to look like him. Still idiotic, though. As others have noted, it's parody - if "The Simpsons" can't create cartoon characters who spoof real people, then all satirical programs are doomed.

And it's also goofy that he waited 23 years to sue! :laugh:

4. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

Couple of things -

one: nothing is *really* a lawsuit until it passes the hurdle of the defendant's motion to dismiss (for example, Roger Dean's lawsuit against James Cameron never really took form, because it was tossed from the court at this early stage). Anybody can file papers against anybody. It's not real until it gets blessed by a judge.

two: this is occurring under a particular state law, not general copyright/intellectual property law.

"violates California's publicity rights law – and that, by misappropriating his idea, the defendants have "diluted the value of the character created by Plaintiff, and contributed to the 'type-casting' of Plaintiff.""

If California has created a law that makes these kinds of lawsuits legitimate, then it's California's problem.

5. Perhaps he was waiting for Don Henley to set some precedents. :)

6. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I asked Johnny "Tight Lips" about this, and he ain't sayin' nothin'.

I hope the Marx Brothers estate doesn't find out they were dancing in Jewish Heaven in this season's opener!

Would Frank Nelson sue over something like this? Well, YESSSSSSS!

[​IMG]

Jeff

krock2009 and Pete Puma like this.
  7. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I'm just the opposite. Now, everytime Layla plays, I see his face rotate at me on a meat hook. Great use of the song in that movie.

Lord Summerisle likes this.
  8. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Well he has to thaw out.

9. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Usually, people are honored when somebody models something after them.

10. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Jerry Lewis came into play Dr. Frink's dad in the Halloween episode Season 14. Obviously, The King of Comedy himself was more than cool with them modeling Frink on The Nutty Professor - and he has a problem with everything! (glavin)

Jeff

Robin L likes this.
  11. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

The case should get tossed, as we all recognize; the Simpsons character is obviously a parody and the creative/transformative element in the cartoon character and storyline he's a part of should be sufficient grounds for a defense to the right of publicity claim. There are a couple other common-law claims and for various reasons probably not worth getting into they are even dumber. If you're interested, there's a link to the complaint in this article: https://tv.yahoo.com/news/fox-hit-250m-simpsons-lawsuit-232339724.html The publicity claims are brought under the same California law as were the basis for Don Henley's claims which many of us discussed in another thread. In contrast to Henley's complaint though this one is unimpressive. Why allege that Louie's voice is based on Joe Pesci? Even if true, don't put it in the complaint -- it undercuts the claim.

I think what will be interesting to see is how the defendants answer. They have to admit or deny the allegation that cartoon Louie was based on Sivero's Carbone. Perhaps he is, in part. If so, I hope they answer by saying, in effect, "Yes, it's true. We did do that and we can." But they probably won't. They'll probably hedge it and deny on the ground that Louie is an amalgam of types and characters.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Isn't he simply hoping for a quick settlement?

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

If they're running around trying to drum up publicity, my guess is that the Fox lawyers told him to take a hike. I suspect a show like The Simpsons runs into a dozen lawsuits a year, most of which go nowhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.