Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

In the "what is most heart-wrenching song to hear Jerry play solo" contest, "Forever Young" from 3/4/88 is a serious contender.

Daedalus, NorCal, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  2. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

My top 5 favorite Jerry Garcia non-Grateful Dead official live releases:

1. Garcia/Saunders - Keystone Companions (1973)
    2. Pure Jerry: Warner Theatre, March 18, 1978
    3. Jerry Garcia Band (2CD Live from 1990)
    4. After Midnight: Kean College, 2/28/80
    5. Let It Rock: The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol. 2: Jerry Garcia Band, Keystone Berkeley '75

3. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

That is a good list sir. I'm also partial to Shining Star, particularly Disc 1. And the Long Island Sound box, not for the sound quality but because I saw two shows on that tour and it brings back good memories. Old & in the Way Live at the Boarding House is another favorite.

NorCal likes this.
  4. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Very good list. I might swap out the Kean College show for that 1976 Don't Let Go show, but Don't Let Go came out at a time when I really needed that music, and it's never been very far from the top of my Jerry playlist. But your list (including Kean) very well captures what's seems my Jerry official live most played. Along with those Broadway acoustic sets, when I get in the mood for those.

budwhite, NorCal and adamos like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I pretty much agreed with at least 4 out of 5 on that list (on some days, the self-titled JGB set would make my top 5, on others the GarciaLive Legion of Mary release or something else might take its place). How Sweet It Is... was another excellent release (from the same shows as the self-titled JGB set) that is overlooked. Which of the Fall '89 JGB shows did you catch? I was at both Great Woods shows and Hartford. (Uncle Bobo was in the house for Hartford as well, as we saw him in the mall or whatever it was that connected to the venue).

budwhite, NorCal and adamos like this.
  6. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I was at 9/15/89 Alpine Valley and the next night at Poplar Creek in IL. Really good memories from both shows.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Those are a very solid top 5.
    I'd rank those:
    1: Keystone
    2: Let It Rock
    3: After Midnight
    4: Jerry Garcia Band
    5: Warner Theater

I need to include a Legion Of Mary show as well. Not sure which is my favorite of the releases I have. Probably the Keystone 74 (not officially called LOM).
    I'll put that in slot #4.

budwhite, adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Nice, I've never made it to either of those venues, but they both have a great rep, especially Alpine Valley, obviously. I also had tickets to Merriweather Post that tour but was hurting for money so wound up selling them, another venue I've never made it to, and still wish I'd been able to use those tickets.

adamos likes this.
  9. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

Don't Let Go holds a special place in my heart. That version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was played on repeat while my youngest son slept; that was his crib song and he loves Jerry for comforting him. He's 4 now and he still one of Jerry's kids!

10. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I loved Jerry Garcia solo ... but his vocals post-coma, well, they just deteriorated and it always bugged me, especially back in the day as his whole body went to hell. Lots of folks cited his "soulful" delivery in the late '80s and '90s -- which may be true -- but I was saddened to see a man in obvious physical decline.

spencer1 likes this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Good call, I just got done listening to everything from these two on Amazon Prime, (except the pizza tapes, which I have, but that's a 'different' artist and I'm too lazy to make a new playlist right now that has both.)

This one is probably my favorite, although they are all good. It's bittersweet though, because I feel that had he survived, doing this music would have made him happier than what the Grateful Dead were doing.

There's a certain state of mind I find conducive to these records, and it seems I'm in it now.

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I hear what you are saying but-there are so many excellent later day Jerry vocal and musical performances which belie his aging. I would give you just one example to illustrate my point-the 1990 Shoreline DVD. His performance is that of a wise experienced artist speaking from the heart. Brilliant show all around. There are many more examples.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I wasn't saying his musicianship suffered (although his dexterity was faltering during 1994-95 due to diabetic numbness in his fingers), but his singing voice was increasingly ravaged post-coma, likely due to cigarettes, drugs, and his abysmal diet, as well as his encroaching health issues. I love some 1988-91 solo and Grateful Dead shows myself but I can't help noticing these things 'cause they bummed me out at the time.
    I also absolutely love his last batch of Hunter/Garcia songs. A lot.

Scopitone likes this.
  15. Daedalus

I see your point and agree. My thought was his aging imparted a gravitas to his artistry.

rstamberg and fishcane like this.
  16. Daedalus

Oh and speaking of late era Jerry Band-I am waiting delivery of the new archive release with much excitement- this was a magnificent tour. I was lucky to attend the Providence show with my then honey( now my wife). I bundled this with the new Trucks/Tedeschi live album and the King Crimson tour box. Ain't life grand!

17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have several friends who feel exactly the same.

18. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Saw JGB live but this cd really got me into the solo stuff [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, Scopitone and SteveFff like this.
  19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Listening to the Let It Rock release, this morning. Nice to see the Gans gave a shout out to Bob Menke and Louis Falanga for supplying the audience patch for the release - the Dave's Pick/Grateful Dead crew should take note that it isn't that hard to make a shout out...

Jerry's vocals on this release are pretty great, esp on the Tore Up Over You.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think he had his best vocals from '72-76.
    Most excellent release that one. I'm glad that it's available via streaming

rstamberg likes this.
  21. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Everyone shines on Sitting in Limbo on the Let it Rock release - which Gans mentions in the notes. Hopkins is just sublime.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Ive said it before and I'll say it again, for me, JGB 1976 > GD 1976.

23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I'm okay with that. Keith and Donna are amazing, and Jerry sounded as good as he ever did.

rstamberg, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  24. Scopitone

[​IMG]

Speaking of '76 JerryBand. . .

Don't Let Go
    May 21, 1976
    San Francisco

Opens with "Sugaree". Never, ever hurts my feelings.

25. Scopitone

If I get bored with this avatar I am using, I might switch to this album cover. Such a great JerryPic.