Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Right. Dogged determination for the win. Bobby Weir is a classic Americana bio. :thumbsup:

Not to mention all those EPIC Playin' & Other One JAMS.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. budwhite

budwhite Forum Resident

Bob is doing a lot of Hunter/Garcia songs these days. Was that always the case or is that a new thing?

3. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

It's been the case for a very long time, anyway.

budwhite likes this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

He sang "Stella Blue" at the Fare Thee Well show I saw. Seemed to be trying on a much more serious, Garcia-like stage persona compared to the rock goofball image he had for most of the 80's and 90's with the GD.

budwhite likes this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Forum Resident

Right now I'm listening to everyone's favorite Tiger Stripe Tyrannosaurus Jockey record, (Midnight Getaway is well worth the price of admission,) but lately I've been really enjoying Garcia's 1974-75 groups with Merle Saunders, Kahn, Fierro, and a rotating cast of drummers.

It's a really compelling adjunct to Grateful Dead 1974, which to me is the band at the height of its powers, and then Garcia is playing all of this eclectic stuff with Garcia/Saunders and Legion of Mary.

The 73 stuff is no slouch either. Dahabenzapple, I'm officially recommending to you Garcia Live 3,6, and 9

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

24 years ago, who else was there?

ThirdBowl and adamos like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Forum Resident

I was. That was the night that John Kahn was having technical difficulties for a bit, so we got Jerry playing Freight Train to fill in time. Very good show (and tour).

adamos and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Dennis0675

Nice, I was on through buffalo

Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

"Goofball", that may be a bit harsh - maybe a bit in the mid 80's - but I never really took it as he was being a goofball.

I think he tries to be a bit too earnest during his take on Days Between and Stella --- though Ratdog's take on Days Between at the 2014 Chicago Theater was rather poignant. Stella didn't move me that much that night in Soldier field.

10. Crispy Rob

I did the whole tour, which was a crazy amount of driving, given that each show was in a different city (not to mention that the route was not logical - lots of crisscrossing and backtracking), but worth it since I was in that "out of college, money spent, see no future, pay no rent" phase that I knew wouldn't last forever. We got used to seeing Jerry's tour bus in the other lane on the highway between shows from time to time.

11. Crispy Rob

12. Dennis0675

You animal!

13. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

I would also think "goofball." Just think about 7 or 8 years of falsetto "thank you" to end a set...

...and before Weir dies, someone has to ask him about that. Did he lose a bet? Think it was funny? I am fascinated by this phenomenon.

budwhite likes this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt Forum Resident

Every thread is about the Beatles on this forum!!!

Or maybe every thread is about every thread being about the Beatles?

But now most threads seem to be about every thread being about every thread being about the Beatles.

So I am starting a new tradition--every thread will be about every thread being about every thread being about the Beatles.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  15. highway

highway Forum Resident

Been playing Don't Let Go repeatedly (bonus tune on Cats Under the Stars) - just love the 8 minute guitar/ drum/ bass workout.

Crispy Rob, mgb70, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Anyone have any memory RE Garcia RSD vinyl releases being sold in non-limited fashion apart from RSD? I can't remember.
    Wondering if Side Trips will be available via wide release after Record Store Day Black Friday. I'd rather not deal with the crowd.

ianuaditis and Dennis0675 like this.
  17. Dennis0675

I don’t know about a second release but it wasn’t so limited that I didn’t see it in shops for the next two years. Everything they have put out has been pretty easy to get, nothing needed camping out for RSD really.

18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Gotcha. Are you referring to a release like Compliments? If so I know that was 7,000 copies and Side Trips is 2,500 I believe.
    I certainly won't be camping out for it - but I also wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the easiest to find soon after

19. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Well it took a little while but I managed to get a used copy with bonus disc, I think for less than than the original list price. While the condition wasn’t Like New as described it’s still very good overall so I’m happy with it, especially at that price. Looking forward to digging in.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Forum Resident

@Crispy Rob how is this not out on official release?

Reconstruction - 7-8-79

21. Crispy Rob

This would be a fine choice. More of us need to beat the steady but funky drumbeat for a full show Reconstruction release.

ThirdBowl, ianuaditis and Daedalus like this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus Forum Resident Thread Starter

That box set is a treasure IMO. The disks are supplemented with some real good stuff-especially the Cats cd!

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. Daedalus

Bang bang bang bang!!!!!!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  24. Daedalus

Well -anyway-now Bob is senior statesman in Dead and Company-he is actually sporting a black t shirt each show-and letting JM be the energetic young guy. Of course I miss the Jerry grin when he was seemingly chuckling at over the top Bob( Bob doesn't grin at John).

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Daedalus

Has anyone heard/read anything more on the previously reported early Jerry Acoustic cd box set which was going to be released?