Got Jerry Garcia solo anyone?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daedalus, Feb 18, 2015.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Update: there’s some serious cheese at a certain point in the keyboard solo on Knockin’ (IMO, but you can’t miss it) but it’s a good first set overall. Happy with this release.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Got mine today, have a 4 hour car ride tomorrow, so I’ll probably be on familiar terms with it by the end of the weekend.

3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m up to Run For The Roses. This is a great show so far

Billy_Sunday, adamos and bzfgt like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Listened to the second set of GarciaLive 10 today. It’s a good show; certainly release worthy and one that I look forward to playing more over time.

As Dennis McNally writes in the liner notes, “you can hear their good mood and high energy from the start; there’s a smile in Jerry’s voice.”

GuidedByJonO))) and Billy_Sunday like this.
  5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Halfway through the 2nd disc on my road trip (stopped for lunch). Vol. 10 is one of the best JGB releases I’ve ever heard. Jerry is in top form and clearly having a blast. This might be one I revisit often.

adamos, uzn007, dtuck90 and 1 other person like this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Great show. Some other songs from this year I might have wanted to hear more...but hard to argue with the quality.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I love this release. I got the self titled JGB album this week as well and it really feels like he’s carried on the energy and playing from the Dead’s Spring tour into these shows

8. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Just got a nice lot of used Jefferson Airplane here. JG plays guitar on 8 tracks on Barron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun. Not JG solo but some Jerry content.

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I like that version of Dear Prudence better than the one on the White Album, because 1. the way Garcia slows down the bits at the end of each verse, and 2. it's sung by Garcia...still a classic in its original form, of course.

Oh yeah and 3. guitar solo...

10. sami

sami Mono still rules

Couldn't agree more. Just a brilliant version.

Daedalus, Dennis0675, mgb70 and 3 others like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I can't rank Jerry's version of Dear Prudence above the Beatles' version, but it's certainly a very worthy version, and the one on that JGB self-titled release from '91 is certainly a great version.

I've just started Disc 2 of the new Hawaii release, which is a show I've never heard before. If anything, I'd say Garcia is even more energetic and in better form than on that '91 release (recorded in August '90, so just three months after the Hilo show, IIRC), this is really excellent so far. Also much better than the Greek '90 show released earlier in the series, although that one was also nice to have.

Blue Note, uzn007, bzfgt and 3 others like this.
  12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Jerry was clearly in great spirits over in the islands. 2 shows, 8 days apart. Not really a tour, just a couple of one-offs.

18 songs! I am not aware of any JGB shows with that many songs, at least not from the 80's/90's. Some shows in the 70's were certainly longer, but not as many songs. Of course that doesn't tell the whole story, but I'd say most shows from the era have 6 or 7 songs per set. Every once in a while you'd get an 8-song set, but not very often. 9 songs? Didn't happen. 2 9-song sets in the same show?? Not even.

But there it is! I am happy with the reports here so far (I still don't have mine) and looking forward to giving it some spins when it arrives later this week. I have had an audience tape for years -- not great quality but listenable. This will obviously be a major upgrade!

Is there much going on in the stereo field? Most of the Jerry boards I've heard from the era are mono....

JGB just kills Dear Prudence... (in a good way of course) but comparing it to the Beatles is kind of an apples to oranges thing. ymmv.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I bought it yesterday, but I haven't opened it yet. Anyway, when I entered the record store, an unmistakable guitar tone was coming from the speakers: the owner of the store was playing this new reléase, so I was able to listen to a couple of tunes. Sweet playing by Mr. Garcia.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Listening last night I was struck by what a great version of "The Way You Do The Things You Do" is on this release. Same is true for "Knockin'"... and that's a song I thought I was sick of....

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If they hadn't change the design of the series' artwork, we would have Rosebud on the front cover. Am I right?

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Pretty sure he was still playing Tiger in the JGB (although he had switched to Rosebud for the Dead).

Never quite understood that...

scribbs likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Jerry plays Rosebud in the Greek Theatre release (8/5/90), that's why I made that assumption.

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I'm not sure what he was playing here....

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Whatever he's playing, it sounds pretty well ;)

Billy_Sunday and lucan_g like this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Finished up the first disc just now and moving onto the second set, but yes - both those versions are absolutely fantastic. It's been pointed out ad infinitum by now, but it's true, Jerry sounds so darn happy here. Clearly he was in a great place and it's a joy to hear it come through in the music.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Fitting in well tonight.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  22. bzfgt

Robyn Hitchcock Bad Case of History

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

This is a really good performance, something you would expect a compilation of shows to sound like. You know Jerry is in good form when he is enunciating his consonants. ;)

24. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Something to do with his MIDI setup for the Dead perhaps?

25. bzfgt

Oops, wrong thread!

ianuaditis likes this.